Foursevens Quark Turbo XML-2 Burst VS Classic Foursevens XML Quick Impression

njet212

Enlightened
BANNER_zps79497466.jpg

Foursevens just launched few several new light with burst mode.These flashlights are now capable of producing incredibly high lumens without affecting their run times! When switched to Max setting, flashlights with this feature will give you a massive increase in brightness for the first 60 seconds and then will ramp down over 30 seconds to 50% of that output. For somebody who already has Quark Turbo XML and wondering how this new Quark Turbo XML-2 burst perform vs the classic one, scroll down for more information.

There is also Quark Turbo XML-2 without burst mode, to avoid confusion I'm just gonna call the new Quark Turbo XML-2 Burst with new QB2L-X burst and the classic Quark Turbo XML with classic QB2L-X

Spesification

Say hello to the new Quark Turbo QB2L-X with Burst mode. We've upgraded the circuits on our QB2L-X to give you a massive increase in lumen output.Thanks to the Burst mode, a new feature for the QB2L-X, this light will hit a blazing 870 lumens of output for the first 60 seconds on the Max setting before ramping down over the next 30 seconds to 50% of the initial output. As always, our Quark collection was designed to give you a staggering array of options, accessories, and interchangeability so that you have the right light for the job in any situation. With a waterproof, aircraft-grade aluminum body and impact-resistant lenses, these lights are tough enough to meet any challenge.

spec_zps546854a7.jpg

MSRP: $89
Quark Turbo XML-2 with burst is provided by Foursevens for review.

Packaging And Content

2_zpsa5353255.jpg

3_zps17943a54.jpg

Comes in clear blister pack, packaging look's clean and simple i really like the new foursevens packaging design compared with classic one. I really like the included battery, in case you are not flashaholic your light is always good to go out of package !! Also they included rubber hand grip which they don't included on classic QB2L-X. Inside the packaging you got:

• 1 x Quark Turbo XML2 Burst
  • 1 x Lanyard
  • 1 x Holster
  • 1 x Manual
  • 1 x Rubber Hand Grip
  • 2 x Primary CR123
  • 2x Spare O-Ring

Design and Build Quality

4_zps504905ee.jpg

Nothing much changed on new QB2L-X burst, only aesthetic design changed ( you can see the details below ). I also found the clip is more stiff on the new QB2L-X burst, i found little bit difficult to clip it on my pocket. Knurling i would say medium traction, traction is about the same with the classic model. Pocket clip is removable.

10_zps7ea70efa.jpg

9_zps0059f4a9.jpg

New QB2L-X burst has 3 piece body design from head - battery tube - tail cap. The is a hole on tail cap to attached lanyard if you need to. Head and tail cap is reverse-able, you can switch it to get more carry option bezel up or bezel down.

11_zpsc4f3d02d.jpg

The thread is squared cut for smooth twist and more wear resistance compared with non squared cut thread :thumbsup:

12_zpsa929f520.jpg

13_zpsfbb3a4a9.jpg

Size is compact enough it's fit my palm very well. Also you still can do pocket carry fairly comfortable with it's size.

Comparison with Classic Model

ClassicvsBurst_zpse7b6770f.jpg

Reflector_zps1f38430f.jpg

Overall design is quite similar between new QB2L-X burst with burst and classic QB2L-X. The difference is on new QB2L-X burst the don't have Foursevens brand on battery tube.

TailCap2_zps485563ea.jpg

TailCap_zpsfc38f1cb.jpg

The other difference which i think important, on new QB2L-X burst the tail switch is not anodized while they put anodized on classic QB2L-X. So you can't lock out your flashlight to prevent accidentally turned on. I don't know why Foursevens does not put anodized on the new QB2L-X burst tail cap.

You can see also the anodizing is more matte in new
QB2L-X burst compared with classic QB2L-X which more glossy. I like it this way. Maybe in the future if Foursevens could do matte black anodize finish like Armytek Predator anodized, it would be awesome !!!
:thumbsup:

User Interface, Output and Beam Shot

Switch is Forward Switch which is you can do half press to do momentary and full press to get constant on.

New QB2L-X burst
basically has 2 mode, with head fully tightened is mode 1 and head loosened mode 2.

To reprogram the each mode ( let's say with head fully tightened), you need to loosen-tighten the head 4 times quickly ( you can also do loosen-tighten more than 4 times it does have to 4 times). After 3 secs, the light will flash 3 times, and you can now choose through all the possible modes by soft-pressing or clicking off-on at the tail switch. To select the mode you want memorized, wait 10 secs with the light on in that mode. The light will flash rapidly to give you indication that the current mode has been memorized. It won't change unless you go through the programming mode again.

At the max mode, burst is only for 1 min, during 1 min output is gradually dropped without noticeable difference. But in case you need the burst mode again, you can turn off the flashlight then turn on again to get burst mode.

6_zpsbdaa2b36.jpg

Equipped with the latest Cree XML-2 and on my sample emitter is perfectly centered. New
QB2L-X burst is using smooth reflector.

Controlshot2_zps5a165dec.jpg

Beam1_zps175ce8f6.jpg

Beam2_zps661734ac.jpg

Distanceshot_zpsd9c52a7d.jpg

As you can see at max mode the New
QB2L-X burst is noticeably much more brighter than classic Quark QB2L-X. On 175 meter distance it still light up the object very well, it's incredible for such a compact light :eek:

ControlShot_zpse63823af.jpg

XMLLow70m_zps1dc6248a.jpg

XML2Low70m_zpse3cc5043.jpg

low_zpse9a4c2fb.jpg

XMLMedium70m_zps060eaa30.jpg

XML2Medium70m_zps9421e70f.jpg

med_zpsc0972fee.jpg

XMLHigh70m_zpsb2b43bb1.jpg

XML2High70m_zps7d30b237.jpg

high_zpsff22c650.jpg

XMLTurbo70m_zps0265f363.jpg

XML2Turbo70m_zps92262cbf.jpg

XML2vsXML_zps48a5c15a.jpg

I don't do moonlight mode distance shot because it's just about the same as control shot and the light is way too dim. As you can see, there is not much different in every mode except at max mode. The output is fairly compare-able in every mode.

RuntimeCR123_zps07d8adea.jpg

Untitled-4_zps1dfdd8d7.jpg

On Max mode, New QB2L-X Burst is driven harder than classic QB2L-X.

On Primary CR123 after burst mode New QB2L-X burst output is gradually stepping down without noticeable drop, stabilized around 500-ish lumens while on classic QB2L-X output is stabilized 270 - 350-ish lumens.

On RCR123 after burst mode output on new QB2L-X burst is gradually stepping down without noticeable drop, stabilized around 500-ish lumens while on classic QB2L-X output is stabilized 250 - 350-ish lumens. Please note, when you are using RCR 123 the light will suddenly go off when the battery is completely depleted, while on Primary CR123 it's still give you dim light.

Update on 20 August 2013: I just measured tail cap reading using Sanwa DMM ( Digital Multi Meter).

• Using fresh AW RCR123: On new QB2L-X burst reading @ 1st second is 1700 mAh and gradually stepping down ( did not continue measure ) while on classic QB2L-X reading @ 1st second is 750 mAh ( continued measure for ~10 secs, it's stabilize between 745-750 mAh ).
  • Using fresh Primary Surefire123: On new QB2L-X burst @ 1st second is 2810 mAh and greadually stepping down ( did not continue measure ) while on classic QB2L-X reading @ 1st second is 1,120 Amp ( continued measure for ~10 secs, it's stabilize between 1,120 - 1,110 mAh ).
At max mode on New QB2L-X burst both on RCR123 and CR123 current is quite high and it's not safe for the battery if it driven continously but for 1 min i think it still safe. Foursevens did a good job on driver design by stepping down the current gradually.

On QB2L-X burst because it's driven harder at max mode you will get less run time than the classic QB2L-X. Output on New QB2L-X burst is more flat than ClassicQB2L-X

Summary
These two quark turbo shared identical design and feel while you hold on your hand. It's good that Fourseven included the rubber grip on New QB2L-X burst, in case you need yo don't have to buy it separately the new QB2L-X burst does not comes with anodized tail cap so you can't lock-out the light also the clip is much more stiff than classic QB2L-X, i feel little bit difficult to clip it on my pocket.

The is not much different in every mode except at max mode. At max mode, the new QB2L-X burst is driven harder than classic QB2L-X which always been trade off with more lumens you will get less output. The output on new QB2L-X burst is more flat than output on classic QB2L-X.

Suggestion for Foursevens: Please make the tail cap anodized and improve the anodize like ArmyTek did on their Armytek Predator light :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoyed my review!

Last edited:

njet212

Enlightened
Update 23 August 2013 - added tail cap current reading using DMM ( digital multi meter )

Last edited:

CmeCU

Newly Enlightened
I expect they removed the tail cap anodizing as part of some agreement with Surefire, to settle the lawsuit that Surefire filed. One of the Surefire contentions was that the lockout mode was a Surefire patented feature.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review njet!

I expect they removed the tail cap anodizing as part of some agreement with Surefire, to settle the lawsuit that Surefire filed. One of the Surefire contentions was that the lockout mode was a Surefire patented feature.

David did mention, more or less, that they were pressured by an aggressive company over some legal issues to make the change... Curious if this will affect other manufacturers, since many use anodized thread lockouts, although I suspect FourSevens will be one of the most directly impacted being US headquartered (jurisdiction).

I personally wouldn't notice the difference - never felt a need to lockout a Quark.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review njet!

David did mention, more or less, that they were pressured by an aggressive company over some legal issues to make the change... Curious if this will affect other manufacturers, since many use anodized thread lockouts, although I suspect FourSevens will be one of the most directly impacted being US headquartered (jurisdiction).

I personally wouldn't notice the difference - never felt a need to lockout a Quark.

i noticed the change with foursevens and eagletac (both headquartered in US). no changes with most of the rest (mostly shenzhen, china brands)

interestingly, zebralights (HQ in TX) don't seem to have made the change. perhaps SF deemed them as more of a niche player?

stevieo

Newly Enlightened
njet212,

thanks for taking the time to post a great review with awesome photos. i was surprised when my new Quark Tactical 2x AA arrived yesterday without tailcap anodizing & that "4Sevens" was not printed in the usual places on the body. I am noticing that all of a sudden more & more of my newest lights lack tailcap anodizing thanks to the patent lawsuits. as for 4Sevens i am not bothered by the lack of anodizing with their lights & the additional cost of anodizing does not make sense for 4Sevens which i have found to be a leader in the quality to price category.

Last edited:

stevieo

Newly Enlightened
off topic, sorry.

Overclocker, i agree with your observation about USA & far east lights & anodizing with the exception of Zebralight for now at least. Hopefully it will remain so when Zebra releases their next batch of new lights. Maybe they will have to pay royalties for the privilege. I just received a new Olight Baton S15 with anodizing & also without clicky tailcap. A good thing too because even though it has electronic lock out, the button is not recessed like Zebralight & I personally prefer quick lock out.

i noticed the change with foursevens and eagletac (both headquartered in US). no changes with most of the rest (mostly shenzhen, china brands)

interestingly, zebralights (HQ in TX) don't seem to have made the change. perhaps SF deemed them as more of a niche player?

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

That would make sense....I can see quite a few of 47 lights competing with Surefires - not so much with ZL which really has nothing in the tactical/thrower category. ZLs NEED the mechanical lockouts... parasitic drain and accidental activation and all.

njet212

Enlightened
Yep i hope Foursevens could solve this lack of anodized problem by come up with new design on their tail cap. I felt also insecure if i can't lock out my lights because there is still a chance that you could accidentally turned on your light.

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened

On turbo mode , New Fourseven Quark Turbo XML-2 Burst is driven harder than classic Quark Turbo XML.

On Primary CR123 after burst mode output is gradually stepping down without noticeable drop, stabilized around 500-ish lumens while on classic Quark Turbo XML output is stabilized 270 - 350-ish lumens.

On RCR123 after burst mode output is gradually stepping down without noticeable drop, stabilized around
500-ish lumens while on classic Quark Turbo XML output is stabilized 250 - 350-ish lumens. Please note, when you are using RCR 123 the light will suddenly go off when the battery is completely depleted, while on Primary CR123 it's still give you dim light.

On New Quark Turbo XML-2 burst because it's driven harder at turbo mode you will get less runtime than the classic Quark Turbo XML. Output on New Quark Turbo XML-2 burst is more flat than Classic Quark Turbo XML.

Summary
These two quark turbo shared identical design and feel while you hold on your hand. It's good that Fourseven included the rubber grip on New Quark Turbo XML-2 Burst, in case you need yo don't have to buy it separately The new Quark Turbo XML-2 does not comes with anodized tail cap so you can't lock-out the light also the clip is much more stiff than classic Quark Turbo, i feel little bit difficult to clip it on my pocket.

The is not much different in every mode except turbo mode. At turbo mode, the new Quark Turbo XML2 burst is driven harder than classic Quark Turbo XML which always been trade off with more lumens you will get less output. The output on New Quark Turbo XML2 burst is more flat than output on classic Quark Turbo XML.

Hope you guys enjoyed my review!
Thank you for your review. But there is to much Turbo in your review, Turbo is everywhere. Where do you see Turbo Mode in the instruction manual ? As I understand and for the help of everybody : The name of the flashlight is Turbo, the Burst is mandatory when you choose Maximum, this is as simple as that. Turbo mode does'nt exist at all with Quark's flashlights. The ideal term for Maximum is Maximum not Turbo. This is not a Fenix flashlight.

njet212

Enlightened
Thank you for your review. But there is to much Turbo in your review, Turbo is everywhere. Where do you see Turbo Mode in the instruction manual ? As I understand and for the help of everybody : The name of the flashlight is Turbo, the Burst is mandatory when you choose Maximum, this is as simple as that. Turbo mode does'nt exist at all with Quark's flashlights. The ideal term for Maximum is Maximum not Turbo. This is not a Fenix flashlight.

Thanks for the heads up, post edited and updated. Also added tail cap current reading using DMM both for primary CR123 and rechargeable RCR123.