What is the longest throw LED Reflectorized Flashlight

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longest Throwing Stock & Modified Reflectorized Lights

This thread is to help keep a small list of the furthest-throwing stock and modified reflectorized lights (one of each). "Modified" does not include custom one-off creations, of which there are a few that exceed the "modified" king listed below. I will try to keep this updated as new lights come out but WELCOME all of your help on keeping it current.

Current Consensus for Farthest-Throwing Reflectorized LED Flashlights:

Stock:
EagleTac MX25L2 Turbo SBT-70 @ 285,000 candela
Modified:
Fenix TK61vn @ 622,000 candela

Last edited:

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Re: What is the longest throw LED Reflectorized Light

The longest throw stock single LED light I know of is the Olight SR90 - 1000 meters.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shouldn't that be the Olight SR95UT at 820 meters.

CHEERS

It doesn't have to be a single emitter if there's something with raw lumens to get further than the huge reflectors. Just curious :)

Last edited:

petr9999

Newly Enlightened

maelstrom xm18? [h=1][/h]

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast

maelstrom xm18?

Hmmm...well you're probably right but I can't find any specs about throw anywhere for this light, has it ever been measured by anyone? It's not even advertised by 4Sevens.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast

The longest throw stock single LED light I know of is the Olight SR90 - 1000 meters.

Selfbuilt's review of the SR90 only rated it at 113k cd and a correlating effective range of 465m (estimated). It's a TON of light but in the end the throw doesn't seem any better than dedicated XM-L throwers.

However, his review of the SR95-UT rated it at 192k cd and his review of the SR95S-UT rated it at 260k cd so I'm thinking that HAS to be the winner for a stock light.

Anyone dispute the SR95S-UT @ selfbuilt's estimated 260k cd as the farthest throwing stock LED flashlight?

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

If there is a stock light that can beat the SR95-UT, I haven't heard of it.

I'm quite sure the XM-18 has relatively poor throw, brute force doesn't get you very far when you talk about hundreds of meters. There is just no way to have a good beam intensity when you are trying to illuminate the entire area of front of you...and the XM18 has very shallow reflectors.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is a stock light that can beat the SR95-UT, I haven't heard of it.

I'm quite sure the XM-18 has relatively poor throw, brute force doesn't get you very far when you talk about hundreds of meters. There is just no way to have a good beam intensity when you are trying to illuminate the entire area of front of you...and the XM18 has very shallow reflectors.

Well it's sounding like the SR95S-UT may be the champion for a stock light...

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to make sure we're not overlooking something here. You said you were aware of the Deft X and other aspheric based lights, and then you asked what the furthest throwing reflectored light is. Only then did you mention stock lights. What about lights that are non stock lights that are reflectored? The TN31 MB from Saabluster as well as Vinh's modified TN31 and K40 all out throw the SR95S-UT (some by close to double). And, especially with Vinh's lights, you're saving a LOT of money as opposed to purchasing the Olight.

Just want to make sure you weren't overlooking what I consider a very good option in the thrower arena.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to make sure we're not overlooking something here. You said you were aware of the Deft X and other aspheric based lights, and then you asked what the furthest throwing reflectored light is. Only then did you mention stock lights. What about lights that are non stock lights that are reflectored? The TN31 MB from Saabluster as well as Vinh's modified TN31 and K40 all out throw the SR95S-UT (some by close to double). And, especially with Vinh's lights, you're saving a LOT of money as opposed to purchasing the Olight.

Just want to make sure you weren't overlooking what I consider a very good option in the thrower arena.

I thought I was pretty clear in asking for the longest throwing stock and modified reflectorized LED light in my first post.

At any rate, I'm interested in each :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I thought I was pretty clear in asking for the longest throwing stock and modified reflectorized LED light in my first post.

At any rate, I'm interested in each :)

The answer seems to be the UT for a reflector stock light, and the TN31Vn for the modified reflector light.

:D

For the modified versions, the testing is less formal, so there's some room to discuss it, but, the K40Vn and the TN31Vn are close in performance to the OSTS Tn31mb, which, if you count the TN31mb as a STOCK light from OSTS, makes IT the stock champ.

Last edited:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really.

You talk about two classifications, modified and stock, and ask about both.

Ya I meant each separately, which is the longest stock one and which is the longest modified one. Separately. So it'd be two lights.

From first post:
So any consensus or at least opinions on the longest throwing:
a) stock reflectorized LED flashlight
b) modified reflectorized LED flashlight

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Ya I meant each separately, which is the longest stock one and which is the longest modified one. Separately. So it'd be two lights.

From first post:
So any consensus or at least opinions on the longest throwing:
a) stock reflectorized LED flashlight
b) modified reflectorized LED flashlight

LOL

Missed each other's edits.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix RC40

Selfbuilt puts the Olight SR95S-UT @ 1,019M throw so the RC40 @ 750M is not as much.

I think we've settled that the Olight SR95S-UT is the best reflectorized STOCK thrower (I've updated my original post to reflect this).

But what about the longest throwing modified reflectorized? I feel it's between the TN31vn (vinhnguyen54's custom version) or TN31mb (by One Stop Throw Shop (OSTS)) both of which are supposedly in the 400k cd range. Any other modified reflectorized lights in that range? If not maybe we'll call it a tie...

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in this thread when we get to a consensus ..l :)

Seems to me we are there already, until someone comes up with a better light. Just naming a light without a cd number does not mean it is actually in contention.

Stock: Olight SR95UT
Modded: Vinh TN31/TN31mb tie

Vinh's K40 also deserves an honorable mention, and it is in the same 400k cd ballpark. It is beat out by his TN31 mod, but it is fairly close, and the K40 does it with a smaller package.

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me we are there already, until someone comes up with a better light. Just naming a light without a cd number does not mean it is actually in contention.

Stock: Olight SR95UT
Modded: Vinh TN31/TN31mb tie

Vinh's K40 also deserves an honorable mention, and it is in the same 400k cd ballpark. It is beat out by his TN31 mod, but it is fairly close, and the K40 does it with a smaller package.

My TN31mb is rated by Michael at 436kcd and it is an incredibly good thrower with a fair bit of spill.

I have an Olight SR92 diffuser tied by a short black lanyard to it when I need a floodlight.

The diffuser works really well and was only about $20 on Ebay.

I ordered my DEFT-X in February and I still have not received it.

I emailled Micheal (saabluster) tonight venting my displeasure at the time it is taking.

We shall see how long it takes to get an answer from him.

A great modder he is, a good businessman and communicator he definitely isn't!!!

CHEERS