Seattle Area Get Together September 21st near Olympia

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened
CORRECTION on DATE!!!

Starting to put together the September Flashlight Get Together.

Looking at September 21st starting about 6pm. Will have more details soon, checking on interest.

Mike will be there, the barn in Renton won't be available (wedding reception).

Skeptic

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Seattle Area Get Together September 20th near Olympia

Starting to put together the September Flashlight Get Together.

Looking at September 20th starting about 6pm. Will have more details soon, checking on interest.

Mike will be there, the barn in Renton won't be available (wedding reception).

Skeptic

Just found this post. Want to go and show lights and all, not yet sure if I can attend. Will know next few days. :thumbsup:

yowzer

Enlightened

Coming down from Seattle on a Friday afternoon? That's not pretty.

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened

Sorry, it would be on Saturday, not Friday in Olympia

SLOCIVIC

Newly Enlightened

Sept 21st 5:30-11:30pm Olympia/Tumwater 11acre gated community park with lake access...
BBQ/Potluck!
Bring your favorite lights!
Play with all the new EagleTac Stuff and a variety of LensLight stuff!

PM me for the address
would love to know who is coming since we have to let everyone in gate as hey get here...

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll see if the 20th works for me as well. Not sure at the moment.

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Re: Seattle Area Get Together September 21th near Olympia

Sept 21st 5:30-11:30pm Olympia/Tumwater 11acre gated community park with lake access...
BBQ/Potluck!
Bring your favorite lights!
Play with all the new EagleTac Stuff and a variety of LensLight stuff!

PM me for the address
would love to know who is coming since we have to let everyone in gate as hey get here...

Hi Guys,
We are trying to figure out how many people and how much food to bring.
If your coming post what you want to bring and PM Lennie for his address.

We are bringing Lots of flashlights for the giveaway and hot dogs with all the fixings and home made chili.

Christmas Clearance sale with flashlights discounted up to 75% off. Lots of them new in the box.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope to make it, but completion of a deal has stalled. Waiting for client's "go" so I can make it up there. 50/50 chance. Will know in the next twenty-four hours.

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened

Not looking good for me to make it down with the BIG lights.
Sadly, the ignitor is toast in the 24" HMI, and the Deathray is stuck in w i d e mode.
The Baby Ray is probably feeling all left out being on a shelf high up in the corner of the garage.

Very certain I'll have the whole package in fine working order by springtime.
In the meantime, show Olympia what the finest NW Flashaholic;s have to offer!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sadly I won't be able to make it this Fall. Hopefully circumstances will allow me to make a big appearance in the Spring.

Well I just got finished with other stuff, and I don't know if I feel up for a 1.5hr drive. How long do you all plan on being there?

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast

How'd it go? Let's see some pictures please. Was this setting ideal for a great show?

Well if this thread is an indication, there were only three people there... I'm curious how it went too. Anyone?

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, when we have another Seattle area get together I'll bringing this light:
Here is what I was originally after when i built the LightSward. I'll be making a newer one soon, as I figure how to not upset my neighbors with my skill.

Here is the best light I have right now for a variety of reasons...the biggest is it's actually easy to transport ans store this 50 Inch MONSTER searchlight....a good substitute for the GE and Sperry 60" WWII carbon arc lights.

I'll work on making a small sport version of this light. Depends on many factors what type FL and or type reflector, shallow,telescope, or more parabolic deep dish style...

My tribute and a temporary substitute for the 60 inch WWII carbon arc searchlight, for anyone with limited space for storage, (light as seen can hang in closet).
This is an excellent design after many experiments. Someday if I have the room, I'd like to get a GE or Sperry, but for now this will work.:

Excited Law enforcement officers informed me they could see it many miles out on their patrol and just had to come by and see it, since they knew no businesses are out this far.

Big learning experience. I built this 50 inch Monster reflector six years ago and sort of didn't do much because it needed a very bright bulb to do it justice. Dimmer bulbs just barely made abeam. This thing took the light a and shot it into the night sky. For ease of transport, storage with ease of extraction, I have decided to make this my big light for now. The 72 inch is so big, I had to partially disassemble it just to store the pieces. For now the 50 inch MONSTER will be the big dominant light until I get a shop where I won't drive my neighbors crazy. Have to decommission things a little until I can get into a production facility.
cool.gif

This thing is "AWESOME" Had kind of shelved this light in favor of more efficient reflector designs. This set up allows for less light to be collected from bulb, but with a much longer focal length, the light travels further in a more parallel beam configuration. Beam had the effect of looking somewhat like a laser and was hard to tell from which direction it was coming from when beam aimed near horizon.

50 inch Searchlight MONSTER was shelved for a few years while I was waiting to secure a 4,000 watt HMI 385,000 lumen light source. It is a good substitute for the 60 inch WWII searchlights that need much loving care to keep going. This 50 inch MONSTER will help keep the big light legacy going well into the 21st century and beyond. The beautiful beam is a nice painting to a glorious night sky. Photo from a yard or two away.

21747198998_309b86ac29_b.jpg

Photo taken behind MONSTER showing the beam traveling several miles.

Photo taken from a block away

21748150449_de5a1dd96f_b.jpg

Photos taken a few blocks away.

21748139529_9654cab417_b.jpg

Photo from a block away. Beam paints a nice color in the night sky. Turquoise blue color looks nice.

21748157619_f9d65cf9f5_b.jpg

Photos taken around and from a few hundred feet distance.
21313883243_3c4fa55c84_b.jpg

Photo from a block away. Walking way from searchlight, the beam appears to follow. Aimed near the horizon, people couldn't tell which direction it was coming from...nice narrow beam compared to my other searchlights.

21944758501_429064630b_k.jpg

The beautiful beam is a nice painting to a glorious night sky. Photo from directly beneath the beam, next to searchlight.

21748129029_3eec6d78d3_b.jpg

Photo from near mail boxes, block away...300 feet...

21748144699_95d0359ec3_b.jpg

Some good views from a block away...several hundred feet. Couldn't go any where with the crowds coming to see. Police almost said they'd stay and watch while I drove around to take photos.

21908665546_73cd8f5f8a_b.jpg

Some of these composites were hard to align with the camera tripod. Software to straighten the photos was unavailable.

21934825745_4f3443d09a_h.jpg

Photo from a block away.

21908677586_78fb3d093e_h.jpg

Photo from a block away.

21922954332_93b486c2d5_b.jpg

Photo from a block away.
Photos showing beam traveling overhead. Laser like look, hard to tell direction beam came from when aimed near horizon.

Photo from a block away. Beam paints a nice color in the night sky. Turquoise blue color looks nice.
Photo from behind searchlight.
I'll get back to posting on this shortly.

Last edited: