Review of Charger Xtar WP2s

HKJ

Flashaholic
[SIZE=+3]Charger Xtar WP2s[/SIZE]

DSC_3456.jpg

Xtar makes many good chargers and does also sometimes updates their models. This is an update to the WP2 II, the update includes more selectable charge currents and more power on the usb output. The charger has two channels, i.e. it can do two cells independently of each other.

DSC_3442.jpg
DSC_3443.jpg
DSC_3444.jpg
DSC_3445.jpg

It comes in a cardboard box with a view to the charger and specifications on the back.

DSC_3446.jpg

I got the charger, a manual, a warranty card and a car adaptor, but Xtar forgot to add a power supply.
Normally the power adapter is included and the car adaptor may be included.

DSC_3448.jpg

DSC_3447.jpg

This version of the WP2 has a cover over the batteries. This is an advantage when using it as an usb power supply/charger, because it is easier to put in a bag or pocket while loaded with batteries.

DSC_3449.jpg

The control panel has 6 leds and one button:
3 Leds to show selected current (0.25A, 0.5A or 1A).
1 Led to show that usb output is activated.
2 leds to show charge status for the batteries (red=charging, green=done or no batteries, not used when usb output is activated).
The button will select charge current, when power is connected and a long press will activate usb output when power is disconnected.

DSC_3450.jpg

The power input is a 12 volt DC connector, it can either be powered from the car adapter or the mains adapter.
The usb output must be activated with the button and will stay on until deactivated or the batteries are empty.

DSC_3452.jpg
DSC_3451.jpg

Xtar has a special label on, that makes it possible to check for counterfeit chargers.

DSC_3454.jpg
DSC_3455.jpg

The charger can handle both button top and flat top batteries, from 30mm to above 70 mm. The slider works well.

supportedBatteryTypes.png

supportedBatterySizes.png
DSC_3459.jpg
DSC_3460.jpg
DSC_3461.jpg

DSC_3462.jpg
DSC_3463.jpg
DSC_3545.jpg

The charger can handle 70 mm long batteries, including flat top cells. (See my 18650 LiIon comparison for length of different brands).
It is possible to charge one 26650 in the charger, but it might be necessary to use some tinfoil at the minus pole.

[SIZE=+2]Measurements charger[/SIZE]

• Will discharge battery with about 4mA when not connected to power.
  • Will discharge battery with about 0.25mA when connected to power.
  • Will restart charging at 3.9 volt
  • Will restart charging when battery is reinserted or power is cycled.
  • Below 1 volt the charger will show a green light and charge with 2.5mA.
  • Between 1 and 2 volt the charge will show a blinking red light and charge with 2mA.
  • Between 2 and 2.9 volt the charge will show a red light and charge with 50mA to 65mA.
  • Above 2.9 volt it will apply selected charge current.
  • The channels on the charger are independent, i.e. there are small differences between them.

Xtar%20WP2s%201A%20(PA18650-34).png

This charger has a very good CC/CV curve, this is an improvement from the old WP2 model that simulated it. The charge time is just below 4 hours.

Xtar%20WP2s%201A%20(PA18650-31).png

Xtar%20WP2s%201A%20(BE18650-26).png

With smaller capacity the charge time is slightly shorter.

Xtar%20WP2s%201A%20(PA18650-31)%20%232.png

The second channel works the same.

Xtar%20WP2s%200.5A%20(PA18650-31).png

With 0.5A on a 3100mAh cell the charge time is considerable longer. The termination current is lower at the 0.5A settings, this is very good.

Xtar%20WP2s%200.5A%20(AW18350-IMR).png

The lower current is for smaller cells.

Xtar%20WP2s%200.25A%20(PA18650-31).png

0.25A requires a lot of patience (nearly 12 hours) with a 3100mAh cell.

Xtar%20WP2s%200.25A%20(AW16340-IMR).png

My old 16340 cell charges perfectly on this charger.

Xtar%20WP2s%201A%20(AW16340-IMR).png

Even at 1A the charger can handle it.

WP2%20startup.png

WP2%201A.png

The charger is using a slow ramp up of the current in all modes.

[SIZE=+2]USB output[/SIZE]

The WP2s can power the usb output with one or two batteries. The cells are not directly in parallel (I had to use 5 DMM's to log it).

• USB output is coded as Apple 2.1A
  • USB output will stay on when load is removed, on/off is only controlled with the button.
  • USB output will always be off when charge power is connected.

Xtar%20WP2s%20load%20sweep.png

Doing a load sweep with two batteries, showed that the current limit is at 2.4A, this is very good for a 2.1A supply.

Xtar%20WP2s%20out%202.5%20ohm(2xPA18650-31).png

A test with 2A current, shows a rather short runtime and also that the two batteries is loaded differently.
The termination voltage is rather high for this load (That is the reason for the short runtime).

Xtar%20WP2s%20out%2010%20ohm%20(PA18650-34).png

Reducing the load to 0.5A works better, this gives 3 hours runtime with a single 18650 cell.

Xtar%20WP2s%20out%2010%20ohm%20(PA18650-34)%20%232.png

And four hours runtime on the other battery. This is strange behavior.

Xtar%20WP2s%20out%2010%20ohm%20(PA18650-31).png

Xtar%20WP2s%20out%2010%20ohm%20(PA18650-31)%20%232.png

Xtar%20WP2s%20out%2010%20ohm%20(BE18650-26).png

Xtar%20WP2s%20out%2010%20ohm%20(BE18650-26)%20%232.png

This is the same with other cells.

2.5ohm.png

There is not much noise in the output, even at full current (10 mV).

10ohm.png

At 0.5A the noise is down to 4.5 mV.

[SIZE=+2]Conclusion[/SIZE]

This charger does a good CC/CV charging and with 3 current settings it can handle a wide variety of cell sizes.

The usb output has very low noise in it and the ability to supply 2A, makes it useful for a lot of usb equipment, but due to the Apple coding on the connector, some equipment will not charge at full speed. The difference between the two batteries is silly and will hopefully be fixed soon, but the only downside is shorter runtime.
The charger has a rather high current drain on the batteries, this is absolutely no problem for the charging part, but it will not be a good idea to keep batteries in the charger for weeks. There is no battery power status indication for the usb output.

The charger is a very good LiIon battery charger and a acceptable usb charger.

[SIZE=+3]Notes[/SIZE]

The charger was supplied by XTAR for a review.
All the tests were done with my own 12 volt 1A supply.

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger
Read more about how I test USB power supplies and chargers

Last edited:

sbbsga

Enlightened
Re: Review of Review Charger Xtar WP2s

Thank you very much, HKJ. Yes, the cover is indeed useful, I had to secure my cell with a piece of Velcro band when I use WP2 II outdoors.

I hope XTAR will send you their XP4 soon. :)

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review of Review Charger Xtar WP2s

Thanks HKJ!

Last edited:

Tokimer

Newly Enlightened
I'm replying here instead of making a new thread, since my question is regarding the Xtar WP2S, and whats written in this review.

Could someone explain for a newb whats meant by this: "The difference between the two batteries is silly and will hopefully be fixed soon, but the only downside is shorter runtime."?
I've ordered a
Xtar WP2S and it would be good to know if this is something I should consider when using the charger.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm replying here instead of making a new thread, since my question is regarding the Xtar WP2S, and whats written in this review.

Could someone explain for a newb whats meant by this: "The difference between the two batteries is silly and will hopefully be fixed soon, but the only downside is shorter runtime."?
I've ordered a
Xtar WP2S and it would be good to know if this is something I should consider when using the charger.

I'm going to venture a guess that there's an issue with Apple's charging scheme, that everybody else on planet Earth doesn't have.

Apple stuff has a chip that might, or might not, always work with 3rd party chargers.

I remember buying a 2.1A 12v adapter for the car last year and seeing videos of guys modifyng those adapters to work with Apple iPhones and iPads, the latest generations at least.

They had to remove some circuit from the guts of the adapter.

The Xtar WP2s probably has a bottleneck when charging up Apple stuff off a Li-Ion cell, installed in the charger.

Chris

HKJ

Flashaholic

I've ordered a

The usb output does not work the same with the two batteries. The internal circuit has better performance with one of the batteries.

It is a silly problem, that does not have much significance in real use. If it runs dry, while charging something, try swap the batteries and you might get a bit more power from it.

Replicant

Newly Enlightened
Is there any risk of overheating any of the Xtar chargers if the batteries are charged with the lid closed? I see there is ventilation in the cover, but most of the pictures I see of the VP1 don't have a cover while charging. I was just thinking of covering the WP2s or VP1 while its charging in the car.

Tokimer

Newly Enlightened
The usb output does not work the same with the two batteries. The internal circuit has better performance with one of the batteries.

It is a silly problem, that does not have much significance in real use. If it runs dry, while charging something, try swap the batteries and you might get a bit more power from it.

So basically you might end up drawing more from one battery than the other when charging a mobile phone for example, and this relates to all devices charged by the USB output?

Planz

Newly Enlightened
Hi HKJ,
Could you help explain what is meant when you mentioned the charger
"Will discharge battery with about 0.25mA when connected to power."
I don't understand why the battery is being discharged when it is connected to power.
Do you happen to have a picture of where the measurement is made?
Thanks.

[SIZE=+2]Measurements charger[/SIZE]

• Will discharge battery with about 0.25mA when connected to power.

HKJ

Flashaholic
So basically you might end up drawing more from one battery than the other when charging a mobile phone for example, and this relates to all devices charged by the USB output?

Exactly, at least on my copy of the charger.

Hi HKJ,
Could you help explain what is meant when you mentioned the charger
"Will discharge battery with about 0.25mA when connected to power."
I don't understand why the battery is being discharged when it is connected to power.
Do you happen to have a picture of where the measurement is made?

When a charger is finished with charging, the current does never drop to exactly zero, it will either charger or discharge with a small current. This charger discharges with 0.25A.

I do not take pictures of me doing the different measurements.

Planz

Newly Enlightened
Exactly, at least on my copy of the charger.

When a charger is finished with charging, the current does never drop to exactly zero, it will either charger or discharge with a small current. This charger discharges with 0.25A.

I do not take pictures of me doing the different measurements.

Sorry I got mixed up with NiMh.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Sorry I got mixed up with NiMh.

There is not really any difference, some NiMH chargers might also discharge (but most do a small trickle charge).

I forgot to mention that one of the links at the bottom of the reviews, shows some of my equipment and how I uses it when testing a charger (The article needs an update, a lot of stuff has changed since I wrote it).

Planz

Newly Enlightened
There is not really any difference, some NiMH chargers might also discharge (but most do a small trickle charge).

I forgot to mention that one of the links at the bottom of the reviews, shows some of my equipment and how I uses it when testing a charger (The article needs an update, a lot of stuff has changed since I wrote it).

Thanks for the clarification. I mistakenly thought LiIon should not trickle charge and NiMh chargers always have maintenance charge.
Yes, I have visited your links. Thanks.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the clarification. I mistakenly thought LiIon should not trickle charge and NiMh chargers always have maintenance charge.
Yes, I have visited your links. Thanks.

LiIon must not be trickle charger, but a very low current is not really a problem, as long as the battery are removed within a few days.

Last edited:

Planz

Newly Enlightened
LiIon must be trickle charger, but a very low current is not really a problem, as long as the battery are removed within a few days.

I must have misunderstood. I thought I read somewhere in this forum that once a LiIon is charged, the supply should be cut off and there should be no trickle charging.
However, I am confused by your earlier statement
"When a charger is finished with charging, the current does never drop to exactly zero, it will either charger or discharge with a small current. This charger discharges with 0.25A."

If LiIon must be trickle charged, then why does this charger discharge with 0.25A?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I must have misunderstood. I thought I read somewhere in this forum that once a LiIon is charged, the supply should be cut off and there should be no trickle charging.

It was a typo, I meant to say "must not" (I have fixed the original post).

I hope it makes sense now.

Last edited:

Latest posts