RMSK, Inc.        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My favorite McGizmo yet: AA CRI Haiku

Default Re: My favorite McGizmo yet: AA CRI Haiku

Yes to both. I can measure output in my sphere, but Don's measurements have always been dead on the money. My hope is to do a mini review and show some comparative beam shots.

Sorry about the thread hijack, Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by calflash View Post
    When you have both would you have a way to measure or picture the difference?

Default My favorite McGizmo yet: AA CRI Haiku

Don't follow Brandon's threads too closely. Your pocket will hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by BenChiew View Post
    Don't follow Brandon's threads too closely. Your pocket will hurt.
    Likewise Ben.

Hijack away Dan! This is a discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    My hope is to do a mini review and show some comparative beam shots.

Thats great! Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.

I never would have considered this AA option but this thread is kinda sucking me in?!?

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    Yes to both. I can measure output in my sphere, but Don's measurements have always been dead on the money. My hope is to do a mini review and show some comparative beam shots.

Sorry about the thread hijack, Brandon!

I look forward to this too! I am slowly being drawn in to this setup as well as everyone else.

I feel really lucky to have held off this long, but this new AA Haiku has captured my attention in a huge way. So much so that I've joined CPF just to learn more and post questions about Don's lights. I wanted to thank the folks who have posted here with their insight on this light and how well it performs. You guys cinched it. I'd love to see the beam comparisons, just for reference (and to quell my burning desire to purchase one for myself)
    I carried and loved a sapphire for the last 6 months or so, but since I found out about the AA, I've sold the sapphire and anything else I wasn't actively using in order to raise the funds to purchase one of these. Hit a little bump in the road here recently with graduate school application expenses and now interviews coming up, but I'm hoping that by the end of the month I can send away to Hawaii for a grown up flashlight. This will overtop even my titanium zippo as most expensive EDC item, but based on absolutely everything I've seen and read, it'll be well worth it.

Great choice for a EDC light.
    (dibs on the Ti Zippo )
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Its funny how at first I "needed" tons of lumens, and now I'm trying to get a light I wouldnt have given a second thought about just by looking at the numbers. Its the post after post by experienced users that keep saying how lovely this light is and how nice the beam is, that have changed how I look at lights and what I expect of them in realistic usage.

Just 2 more weeks, and I'll have the money to send to Don. Only received my first, a previously loved McGizmo, a few days ago, and im already planning my next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy View Post
    Its funny how at first I "needed" tons of lumens, and now I'm trying to get a light I wouldnt have given a second thought about just by looking at the numbers. Its the post after post by experienced users that keep saying how lovely this light is and how nice the beam is, that have changed how I look at lights and what I expect of them in realistic usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy View Post
    Just 2 more weeks, and I'll have the money to send to Don. Only received my first, a previously loved McGizmo, a few days ago, and im already planning my next one.
    "Two is one"
    "One is none"
    "Buy both"

... is the archimedes peak

I recently picked up a couple of Don’s pieces, one of them being a AA Haiku (High CRI). IMHO the AA puts out more than enough light for just about any task, from walking around the house at night on low, to lighting up whatever you want to on high. It throws very well and with a tint that is nothing short of amazing.

My feeling is that this light may be overlooked by some given that it doesn’t have eye searing output like other lights on the market, but in retrospect when I purchased my first Surefire it was only 60L and brighter than just about anything out there at the time.

Over Thanksgiving I was in Michigan and had the opportunity to really test this out outside in an area with almost no ambient lighting. As impressive as this light is in a city environment, it was even more so under the low light conditions. Low and Medium were perfect for nighttime hiking and when you really needed a punch the High was more than enough.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

I live in a rural low light area and the AA high CRI Haiku quickly became my favorite light, carried it everywhere, much more than my other McGizmos which I generally store in a secure place. Which is why I still have the others but have lost my AA :-(

Lost it sometime last week, my newest light. How sad, have torn the house apart. I am pretty sure it will turn up, and I still have my regular Haiku which I also love, but I miss the AA. To me, just the right amount of illumination, and just the right color, not too blue not too red, just right.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I love happy endings. Minutes after I posted this I got out my box of misc. light parts, something I rarely open, and there it was! Nice to have the family home for the holidays!

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well thank goodness you found it!
    -Alex

Congrats that would be a damper to lose such a light.

I made a little change and put the AA 119v engine in a Makai head.

I like this set up a lot. More throw than the Haiku head and plenty of spill. Plenty of throw to look around when walking or in the back yard. This engine doesn't take advantage of the 119v's ability to be driven harder than the 119. Still has that nice tint, though.
    Last edited by yoyoman; 01-04-2014 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calflash View Post
    When you have both would you have a way to measure or picture the difference?
    Guys, I know this question is REALLY old and you guys typically move through lights at a decent pace, but if you still have both 119V lights (AA and 123)...any chance to measure or post beam comparisons? Thanks!

The beams *should* be identical, since the only difference is the power source. Everything involved with generating and focusing the light is the same.

I also like to chime in, and express my gratitude for the Haiku in this battery format. I have been lurking the cpf for some years now, and though I could not relate to every desire of the flashaholics, I am grateful that cpf and you folks are there. Without you, everything would be different, as nothing else could have pushed the industry like you and all the custom makers of amazing lights here have done! Though I don't really collect lights, I am happy to be part of this community.
    This community enables people like Don to build and keep their business model of selling great lights with amazing customer service. Up to the point, they develop lights like the AA Haiku. Why I like the AA format more than the powerful and reliable CR123? It's my EDC light and I love, that I can get spares nearly anywhere in the world without hassle. Thank you all and especially you, Don!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12