What LED is missing?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
What LED flashlight(s) can be made but nobody makes them?
What would you like to own which is not existed but doable with today's technology?
What body size? Head size? Form factor? Battery chemistry? Battery configuration? Number of cells? Brightness? Run time?
What host would you like to own to use with P60 type modules?
Let's be realistic and concentrate to LED only.

Please check incandescent
here

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single MT-G2 emitter in a head and reflector big enough to properly focus it, on a 3x32xxx cell tube with a side switch. 3 modes; ultra low, med and high.
The emitter is way too big for an EDC-sized light, and coupled with the fact there doesn't seem to be a suitable driver in that size, it needs to be in a bigger light.
I'd like to see it in a 3-3.5" reflector, perhaps deeper than FM's earlier 3-3.5" reflectors. Tie it to one of George's HD drivers, and power it with big fat cells.
Plenty of heat sinking and lots of metal mass in the head and body.
An emitter with this much potential deserves a suitable flashlight.
I can imagine something like a 3D M*g with large diameter and long head.
-------------------------

- Titanium CR2-sized tube (E-compatible threads)
Do you mean Titanium E head, C tail thread host?
--------------------------
Good quality Nichia 219 based lights.. FourSevens, Fenix..
Do you mean something like a bored out 6P with Nailbender module?
Copper EDC lights, single cell, AA or AAA, with pocket clip.
Is this a copper single AA body with E head thread and E head tail to use with original E tail cap?
Double Cooly....some of the P60 drop ins require two cells
So an extension tube for single 26650 will work. Right?
An ULTRA minimal aluminum single 18650 p60 host.
Like as minimal& lightweight as possible - maybe even just a twisty tailcap & have a clicky option.
I am imagining a bored out 6P to use with 18650 and outside barrel diameter machined down to as tiny as possible? (Similar to E head, C tail)?
It is also possible to integrate McClickie in body but then battery must be loaded from head side.

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
A single MT-G2 emitter in a head and reflector big enough to properly focus it, on a 3x32xxx cell tube with a side switch. 3 modes; ultra low, med and high.

archimedes

Flashaholic

- DLC-coated parts / torches

- drivers that allow tint / color adjustment for multi-die LEDs (such as the Cree RGBW or Dynamic White MC-E)

- Titanium (or stainless steel) button-cell / coin-cell keyring torches

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
E series LED drop-ins (can't have too many choices)

A tailstanding light with a diffuser that will use any single battery from size AAA to 32700 (.9-4.2v). 3 mode, moon, 60, 160. For emergency use during power outages, or for camping etc.

Esko

Enlightened
Digital zoom. Especially in a headlamp. "Compact" size (small led size for the throwy end), independent controls for output and beam profile and the zoom effect preferrably controlled by a control ring or twist knob.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking along the same lines but for an EDC size light at about 5" or a typical 18650 or 2X18350 setup. Been there and done that.

The MT-G2 is CREE's latest masterpiece, but it's just not very suitable in single cell 4.2V setups. It's just too big of an LED to make for practical use in EDC sized lights - especially in the P60 form factor. It suffers from the same current demands and heat issues as the SST-90. Paired with 2 cells to meet the current demand and you're left with --> even shorter and hot run times.

Last edited:

waywardgeek

Newly Enlightened
First, bring back the Preon Revo. Second, marry the circuits being designed for the MBI torpedo to a gold plated version of the Revo, but use the XP-G2 LED and an orange peel reflector rather than a floody MX-L2. This would take it up to the 3.6V rechargeables with double the power and life vs 1.5V AAA batteries. Instead of 600 lumens as in the MBI torpedo, which would overheat the head in 8-ish seconds, just drive a respectble 200 lumens in burst mode, extending the burst duration to maybe 20-ish seconds. Use any of the modern censor technologies to have the light off when the head is tight, and ramp smoothly from zero light to full brightness with 1 turn of the head. Ship the light with it's preferred rechargeable battery.

donn_

Flashaholic
I was thinking along the same lines but for an EDC size light at about 5" or a typical 18650 or 2X18350 setup. Been there and done that.

The MT-G2 is CREE's latest masterpiece, but it's just not very suitable in single cell 4.2V setups. It's just too big of an LED to make for practical use in EDC sized lights - especially in the P60 form factor. It suffers from the same current demands and heat issues as the SST-90. Paired with 2 cells to meet the current demand and you're left with --> even shorter and hot run times.

The emitter is way too big for an EDC-sized light, and coupled with the fact there doesn't seem to be a suitable driver in that size, it needs to be in a bigger light.

I'd like to see it in a 3-3.5" reflector, perhaps deeper than FM's earlier 3-3.5" reflectors. Tie it to one of George's HD drivers, and power it with big fat cells.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like as minimal& lightweight as possible - maybe even just a twisty tailcap & have a clicky option.
Charge more for less like Porsche ;)

No ridges & minimal or no gnurling.

I'd hit it ;)

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can imagine something like a 3D M*g with large diameter and long head.
-------------------------

Good quality Nichia 219 based lights.. FourSevens, Fenix..
Do you mean something like a bored out 6P with Nailbender module?

Is this a copper single AA body with E head thread and E head tail to use with original E tail cap?

Double Cooly....some of the P60 drop ins require two cells
So an extension tube for single 26650 will work. Right?

I am imagining a bored out 6P to use with 18650 and outside barrel diameter machined down to as tiny as possible? (Similar to E head, C tail)?
It is also possible to integrate McClickie in body but then battery must be loaded from head side.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
No, I meant titanium E-threading at both head & tail .... No need for larger C-thread, since CR2 cells are only 15mm diameter.

Last edited:

davyro

Enlightened
I'd like an 18650 size body with an XRE led there aren't many lights getting made with an XRE bulb now it seems everyone has gone XML mad,i'd like a smooth reflector with a little depth so the XRE punched out a decent throw all of this in the most compact size possible,also it would be even better if the XRE had a neutral tint.All of this with E size compatible threads & 3 modes & McClicky switch

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
Charge more for less like Porsche ;)

No ridges & minimal or no gnurling.

I'd hit it ;)

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Completely round body and head, lightly knurled or otherwise textured for grip, but not too aggressive, so it doesn't tear up my pockets. Maybe offer an extension, or thread it so that we could use an A19, so we could also use 3 CR123 cells or 2 AA cells with a sleeve. If I had my choice, I would prefer a clicky switch. Anodized aluminum, either natural or black.

Edit: I could live without the ability to use an extender if you were to integrate the switch into the body, I do already have lights that I can use extenders for.

Last edited:

kukkurovaca

Newly Enlightened
* A pocketable flashlight with a Nichia triple and a control ring UI
* A P60 host with a right-angle head
* A high-CRI clip-on booklight

Latest posts