The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TK-75, "Condensation/Fog under lens,again"

Banned

Default TK-75, "Condensation/Fog under lens,again"

I have seen this subject posted for a few other lights, but not mine so I thought I would make it mostly brand specific.I also would appreciate experiences in this regard with "Other" high powered torches.

I will start by saying the BEST answers that I received for this phenomenon/dilemma were on CPF.

That answer is, when they are assembled in the factory, sometimes the humidity in these facilities is high, therefore the moisture gets trapped in when the head is sealed.

Now, try to get the manufacturer[in China] or sales/ repairs in this country to tell you that! They won't! I shot down both of their replies with credible evidence.

One reason was they tried to attribute the problem to me using NO-OX-ID on the threads and o'rings! WRONG answer! The problem existed before I ever applied NO-OX-ID. If that was the reason, wouldn't there be a "FILM" on the lense instead of it completely dissipating? Finally, the new[replacement] one that I received yesterday started to get condensation on lens with in 12 minutes of turbo. I did not put any grease on that one!!

Am I controversial??!! I don't think so, just trying to get the REAL reason for this!!

The other reason[from China headquarters] was that this fogging/ condensation is NORMAL when using turbo with that much heat. Something like the inside of the lens is very hot, the outside is cooler, therefore generating condensation that will eventually dissipate.It does dissipate in 15 to 30 minutes after torch is off.

However, if this is the case, then WHY DOESN'T Fenix have an Asterisk[ ***] or Three in the manual stating that condensation/fogging MAY occur when using light on turbo for extended periods of time???Also, how come this SEEMS to be an isolated problem,,,me and some others! U.S.A. Dealers say they have rarely heard of it. China says it is NORMAL!!! Sounds contradictory to me!

So, has anyone else had this reoccurring problem with the TK-75 and also for those of you who have other high powered torches, have any of you encountered this and what have you been told and what do you believe??!!

I have always been an inquisitive and curious person who likes to find answers/the truth!
    The reality is sometimes it is difficult, not worth it and what may be a reality for one, can be an illusion for another!

To sum it up, as long as the condensation/fogging dissipates and NEVER forms water droplets to damage the light, it is NOT a major concern. I am not going to send back my Second light for a third that MAY do the same thing! It is just frustrating because of the contradicting information! Again, I think the best and most logical answers were given to me by very knowledgeable people on here. That is the one I believe[Happened in the factory/sealed in moisture].

I also want to say that Fenix Outfitters is a great company and they have taken care of me and I am sure they will continue to do so in the future. I JUST WANT ANSWERS!!!

I would greatly appreciate all feedback regarding this mystery!

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!

Ciao,,,Roberto,,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"
    Last edited by Capolini; 08-25-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Default Re: TK-75, "Condensation/Fog under lens,again"

Something doesn't quite make sense.

Are you only getting condensation on the inside of the light after using it on a high setting for some time? If so, that indicates there's some liquid water in the head that is getting evaporated by the heat and condensing on the cooler lens. That's much different than just having the head assembled in a humid environment.

If it was only about assembly in a humid environment, then you'd only have condensation if the flashlight was off and stored in a cold environment. In that case, if the temperature dropped below the dewpoint inside the head, you'd get condensation.

But in your case, it seems to be condensing after usage, which is the exact opposite of what would happen if it was just a simply humidity problem.

It really sounds like in your case it's a problem with water inside the head. Either something was screwed up during assembly, or in transport, and water got in.

As many of you know, my first TK75 had a fogging problem. I got a replacement from my Fenix dealer here, and the TK75 that I now have- doesn't fog that much.
    The only other Fenix light that I have that fogs somewhat, is my TK70. All my other lights, don't fog at all. It could be that the weather/humidity in China/in the factory helps starting
    this fogging-problem. I wonder if manufacturers test if lights fog, when assembled in different weather/temperature. If they don't, they should IMO start looking at this.
    O-rings keep water outside, but air can still enter the light. So I guess the only way to prevent fogging at all, air-sealed heads is the way to go

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Etsu View Post
    Something doesn't quite make sense.

Are you only getting condensation on the inside of the light after using it on a high setting for some time? If so, that indicates there's some liquid water in the head that is getting evaporated by the heat and condensing on the cooler lens. That's much different than just having the head assembled in a humid environment.

If it was only about assembly in a humid environment, then you'd only have condensation if the flashlight was off and stored in a cold environment. In that case, if the temperature dropped below the dewpoint inside the head, you'd get condensation.

But in your case, it seems to be condensing after usage, which is the exact opposite of what would happen if it was just a simply humidity problem.

It really sounds like in your case it's a problem with water inside the head. Either something was screwed up during assembly, or in transport, and water got in.

Yes, I am getting it after using it on Turbo for about 15 minutes. It does go away in about 15 minutes after the light is off.

You may be right. If it gets worse then I guess they will give me another one to replace it!

They said it was tested on turbo for 20 minutes and they had no condensation build up!! How come I do?

Ciao,,,,,,,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    As many of you know, my first TK75 had a fogging problem. I got a replacement from my Fenix dealer here, and the TK75 that I now have- doesn't fog that much.
    The only other Fenix light that I have that fogs somewhat, is my TK70. All my other lights, don't fog at all. It could be that the weather/humidity in China/in the factory helps starting
    this fogging-problem. I wonder if manufacturers test if lights fog, when assembled in different weather/temperature. If they don't, they should IMO start looking at this.
    O-rings keep water outside, but air can still enter the light. So I guess the only way to prevent fogging at all, air-sealed heads is the way to go
    Hello!! I remember chatting with you before. Your suggestion was for me to just ACCEPT IT!! May be a good idea if the problem doesn't get worse!!

I will probably get so many different answers that it will make me go crazy!! lol!!

Ciao,,, Roberto,,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

One other thing,last night was 62 F. with very little humidity. I have used it when it was in the low 80's and humid. I know it is NOT winter yet[your experience] but regardless of outside temp. , it still fogs up. That tells me the moisture is INSIDE the light.
    Last edited by Capolini; 08-25-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    Hello!! I remember chatting with you before. Your suggestion was for me to just ACCEPT IT!! May be a good idea if the problem doesn't get worse!!
    I will probably get so many different answers that it will make me go crazy!! lol!!
    One other thing,last night was 62 F. with very little humidity. I have used it when it was in the low 80's and humid. I know it is NOT winter yet[your experience] but regardless of outside temp. , it still fogs up. That tells me the moisture is INSIDE the light.
    If you can return your second light, and get a new one- you could do that. I don't know if you have bought it locally or somewhere else, but you could try to let the light rest a few days/night in rice (something what I probably should've done with my first TK75 at first)

Flashaholic

You have to expose the light to at least some humidity when putting the batteries into it.
    It is hard to find a really dry place in a humid environment.

I could send you some of our Texas hot dry air but shipping would be a killer.
    Last edited by lwknight; 08-25-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Leslie W. Knight

Banned

If you can return your second light, and get a new one- you could do that. I don't know if you have bought it locally or somewhere else, but you could try to let the light rest a few days/night in rice (something what I probably should've done with my first TK75 at first)
    I am not sure how familiar you are with the U.S.A. GEOGRAPHY! I bought it from Fenix Outfitters in Oklahoma, about 1200 miles from Valley Forge, Pennsylvania where I live!! I am sure they will take care of me. I am calling them tomorrow.

FENIX NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE!!! Maybe I am the one to get them kick started!

Ciao,,,, Roberto,,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    You have to expose the light to at least some humidity when putting the batteries into it.
    It is hard to find a really dry place in a humid environment.

I could send you some of our Texas hot dry air but shipping would be a killer.
    OK!!!! Then WHY don't my other 9 lights have this issue??? Three of which are high powered!

Ciao,,,,,Roberto,,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

FENIX NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE!!! Maybe I am the one to get them kick started!

Ciao,,,, Roberto,,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"
    I´ve read about this issue about fog under lens on TK75 before. I found the whole thing strange. All my flashlights are made in China, all probably in the Shenzhen area in which there are high humidity in the air. However,none of my flashlights has ever showed any sign of fog under the lens. If it should,i would send it back for replacement. I don´t buy the excuse from the manufacturer that this should be normal in any way!

In a modern industrial facility producing electronics there must be a way to buld it to keep humitidy away when assembling electronic devices. The fog under the lens must have it´s origin from the factory,not from the owner using it outside. I think that Fenix should take care of this issue doing a revision of the facility in question.
    LED: Olight I1 EOS,Olight S1,S1R,S2,S10R,S10RII,S15R,S20R,S30R,S30RII,S30R Javelot,Nitecore SRT7,Sunwayman V20C,Sunwayman R10A,FourSevens Atom AL,Fenix TK75 2015,Crelant CH10, and more

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
    I´ve read about this issue about fog under lens on TK75 before. I found the whole thing strange. All my flashlights are made in China, all probably in the Shenzhen area in which there are high humidity in the air. However,none of my flashlights has ever showed any sign of fog under the lens. If it should,i would send it back for replacement. I don´t buy the excuse from the manufacturer that this should be normal in any way!

In a modern industrial facility producing electronics there must be a way to buld it to keep humitidy away when assembling electronic devices. The fog under the lens must have it´s origin from the factory,not from the owner using it outside. I think that Fenix should take care of this issue doing a revision of the facility in question.
    Thank you David!!! VERY WELL SAID!!

I agree 100% that the excuse/reason that Nicole in China gave is very weak, feeble and unacceptable.

I also thought of the same thing. These people[workers] most likely work in sweat shops with NO AIR CONDITIONING,,,,,That is the source of all of this!

Ciao,,,"Roberto,,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"!

Flashaholic

I'm going to buy a TK75 myself. If it gets a fogging problem where I live , I will know that the fog is from China.
    I will put the head in a vacuum chamber to void any moisture. It it returns after that, then it will be a big WT*!

Actually , a second thought. Are the heads hermetically sealed? My other fenix lights appear that they are probably not.
    Last edited by lwknight; 08-25-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Leslie W. Knight

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    I'm going to buy a TK75 myself. If it gets a fogging problem where I live , I will know that the fog is from China.
    I will put the head in a vacuum chamber to void any moisture. It it returns after that, then it will be a big WT*!

Actually , a second thought. Are the heads hermetically sealed? My other fenix lights appear that they are probably not.

You are a real comedian/jokester, aren't you?! There are other forums for that!

I agree 100% that the excuse/reason that Nicole in China gave is very weak, feeble and unacceptable.
    No doubt about it, this is an annoying problem. If I were committed to owning the light, I might try the “rice in a large baggie” technique or buying silica gel packets and trying the same thing—making sure to keep the light in the bag for a few days till all the condensation wicks out. Of course the better alternative is for Fenix to supply you with a TK75 that doesn’t have this problem in the first place!

This is interesting reading found at the Fonarik.com forum! It´s about a guy who is doing a visit in the Fenix factory in Shenzhen in China showing pics of the production and assembly of the flashlights: http://fonarik.com/fenix/ekskursiya-...zvodstvom.html
    LED: Olight I1 EOS,Olight S1,S1R,S2,S10R,S10RII,S15R,S20R,S30R,S30RII,S30R Javelot,Nitecore SRT7,Sunwayman V20C,Sunwayman R10A,FourSevens Atom AL,Fenix TK75 2015,Crelant CH10, and more

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    No doubt about it, this is an annoying problem. If I were committed to owning the light, I might try the “rice in a large baggie” technique or buying silica gel packets and trying the same thing—making sure to keep the light in the bag for a few days till all the condensation wicks out. Of course the better alternative is for Fenix to supply you with a TK75 that doesn’t have this problem in the first place!

Right!! The better alternative is for them to supply me with one that DOES NOT have condensation issues!! It is not my responsibility to use rice or silica to fix their problem!! I am a consumer!

Believe me, in my gentle and diplomatic way, I will be fighting for a resolution regarding this issue!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
    This is interesting reading found at the Fonarik.com forum! It´s about a guy who is doing a visit in the Fenix factory in Shenzhen in China showing pics of the production and assembly of the flashlights: http://fonarik.com/fenix/ekskursiya-...zvodstvom.html
    Thanks David!!! You are very helpful!

Ciao,,"Roberto,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

One thing's for certain: Fenix Outfitters will bend over backwards to make things right. They're an A+ dealer.

Banned

One thing's for certain: Fenix Outfitters will bend over backwards to make things right. They're an A+ dealer.
    I agree, they will!! They have so far! I am the person to make sure they continue to do so!! lol!!

Judy/Christine/Zane and the rest are going to be tired of me by the time this is resolved!

Ciao,,, Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Banned

Thanks!! We have chatted before young man!

I agree that they should be looking at this! I am the one to start the ball rolling. I can not expect much from the China manufacturers. They already fed me BS! I will be working with Fenix Outfitters to see what they can do for me and as a whole to try to resolve this ongoing issue.So far they have been very accommodating.

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"
    Last edited by Capolini; 08-25-2013 at 10:18 AM.

but you could try to let the light rest a few days/night in rice (something what I probably should've done with my first TK75 at first)
    Don't do this. Rice does not draw moisture out of the air. It only draws moisture from a surface it is in direct contact with. The only thing rice can possibly dry out is the outside of your flashlight. And you risk chaff getting in the threads or other surfaces of your light, and possibly damaging it.

Putting any electronics in rice is almost always a BAD idea. It is a myth that keeps getting spread around.

If you get your electronics wet, dry the surface off with a towel then open it up to let it air-dry for a few days. Adding rice will not help, and could actually make things worse.

Don't do this. Rice does not draw moisture out of the air. It only draws moisture from a surface it is in direct contact with. The only thing rice can possibly dry out is the outside of your flashlight. And you risk chaff getting in the threads or other surfaces of your light, and possibly damaging it.

Putting any electronics in rice is almost always a BAD idea. It is a myth that keeps getting spread around.

If you get your electronics wet, dry the surface off with a towel then open it up to let it air-dry for a few days. Adding rice will not help, and could actually make things worse.
    Well, this is the first time I hear this. And many flashlights these days can't be opened because they are glued (specially the head).

Dried rice makes an excellent DIY desiccant. After my iPhone was washed in a washing machine it could not be charged and had visible moisture inside the display, even after several days. With nothing left to lose I tried the dried rice method found on the web. After 2 days in a sealed container of dried rice there was no more moisture in the screen, it could be charged and after charging it was fine. (!)

In the sealed container, the dried rice absorbed water vapour readily from the air and the drier air is what the water in the cell phone evaporated into, which in turn was absorbed by the rice thus maintaining low humidity in the container. Of course a desiccant won't work on something that is sealed from contact with the desiccated air so I don't know if it would work here.

Don't do this. Rice does not draw moisture out of the air. It only draws moisture from a surface it is in direct contact with. The only thing rice can possibly dry out is the outside of your flashlight.
    Completely and utterly incorrect.

Completely and utterly incorrect.
    Shrug. It's up to you if you want to use witchcraft/myths on your electronics. Follow the science if you really want to know, but it seems you'd rather not. All's not bad, because the rice probably won't harm anything unless it gets inside your gear. It just won't do anything useful, like homeopathic medicine.

BTW, leave some rice out on a dry surface in a humid room. It doesn't expand, so it doesn't absorb any moisture from the air. IT DOESN'T WORK. It will only dry out wet surfaces, which are easier and more safely handled by wiping it off with a towel.

I'm sure I could tell you white isn't black, and you would still disagree. So, have fun wasting your rice. I'll eat the rice instead, which is all it's really good for.

Banned

It seems like a battle has started!!! LET THE TOURNAMENT BEGIN!!!

For me personally it doesn't make a difference if it[rice] works because the Flashlight manufacturer is the one who is going to resolve my problem, not me! they will continue to work with me even if it takes numerous torches until they get it right!

I do not know if this is true or not[actually irrelevant from what I just stated] but someone mentioned the rice would probably NOT work in my case because it appears that the moisture is SEALED in the head from when they manufactured it. Even if I could take the head apart, I am not!

I have fogging in my Fenix TK35 that can't be resolved because the head is thread-locked with epoxy.
    Thoroughly spoiled the TK35 for me.

The only other light that I have which has a similar problem is my Zebralight SC600 although I discovered that in this case the "fogging" was actually a permanent marking on the reflector which wouldn't come off even when taking it out and blowing pressurised air on it.

The fact that I can't open the heads of Fenix lights due to them being threadlocked is something that puts me off from buying any more.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

It seems like a battle has started!!! LET THE TOURNAMENT BEGIN!!!
    If one knows that 2+2=4, what's the point of debating that fact? I think we both know the answer, Roberto. (:

Banned

If one knows that 2+2=4, what's the point of debating that fact? I think we both know the answer, Roberto. (:
    I do not know enough about rice and these lights to have an opinion! I have no experience with that!! I will say that I have heard many, many more say it works than ones who say it doesn't!

Did you know that I am a mediator? Not on here but in real life! I have helped settle a lot of disputes by being open minded, honest, realistic, fair and with a logical and compromising personality!

All I know is that I am going to try my best to have Fenix resolve it! If it becomes a waste of time and useless battle, then I surrender and hope the light continues to work!!

It is wonderful to learn from each other and have some intellectual debates, even if it is over something that is petty in the "realm of Life"!

Have a great night everybody,I am still taking the TK-75 out tonight with my little Wolf/Husky! Maybe a miracle will happen and it won't condensate tonight!! By the way the condensation is a little bigger than a quarter sized piece that I think would continue to grow[saw some evidence of it] if I had my Battery ext. on it where Turbo lasts almost 3 hours!

Ciao,,, Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Enlightened

The only time I have noticed any fog on my 75 has been when running on turbo with a fan testing runtime. Even then there was very little. Two spots right above the leds (tail standing). The TM15 did the same thing. Had both out tonight and ran on turbo for 10-12 mins and both were clear. Going to keep an eye on it though. I had a 3 aa led Minimag do that also. Small but noticable spot dead center of the lens.
    Last edited by Dark Slayer; 08-25-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast