Are carrying CR123s "loose" safe?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are carrying CR123s \"loose\" safe?

Am giving an Arc LS as a present along with the five pack of CR123s that arrived in a plastic bag. Also plan on giving a Surefire winelight along with 6 or so batteries that I'll put in a little zip lock bag. These lights will most likely be purse lights. Should I say it's safe to carry the batteries in a loose bag in the purse as well? Is there absolutely any chance at all they'll explode by being knocked around a little bit, etc? How should they be carried or should I just warn to absolutely keep batteries separate in a drawer or something and not carried in a purse.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are carrying CR123s

I would not recommend carrying loose batteries of any type just put them in a small pill bottle to keep track of them safely. If a keyring with keys in with the batteries completed a circuit somehow you will cook something

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I sure wouldn't do that.

I lost a favorite pair of pants to some loose AA alkalines in the pocket with some keys. Man, it got HOT !

Glad I didn't lose anything else in close proximity.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened

Using a ziplock bag for each lithium cell should prevent them from shorting out on anything (including other cells). It's a messy solution though since you'll have a lot of plastic baggies bumping around in your bag. Having loose batteries in your bag is not a good idea even if you do use my plastic bag idea.

I recommend investing in a battery case for CR123s if you intend to carry them around.

linearintigrator

Newly Enlightened

the orange plastic waterproof match holders sold in the sporting goods dept. at walmart has a screw-on top and holds 2 123s battreies perfectly. dave

JSWrightOC

Enlightened

I would suggest either the match holder by linearintigrator or perhaps an SC1 or SC3 from SF, which holds 6 or 4 123s plus a spare lamp (lamp depends on model) and of course you don't even have to use the lamp holder space anyway. Now we have options for 2, 4, and 6 123s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaveT

Enlightened

Another, cheaper suggestion is to go to a photo lab and ask for empty advantix film canisters. Kodak brand canisters have worked well for me (couldn't quite get 2 cells to fit in the Fuji brand ones, though). I also tape the lid on - they pop off rather easily in a pocket or if they'll be bumped by other stuff in a bag or purse.