Youth Arena Rodeo Lighting

Murgatroyd

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. I work at a big box store, and a customer called asking only about getting four 1000W Metal Halide lights for a youth arena with general dimensions of 150 FT X 200 FT. My thought was the customer wants one fixture for each side of the arena.

To get me started, a Cooper Lighting rep sent me a spec sheet for their outdoor flood AS Allstar:
http://webconfigurator.cooperlighti...AS_AllStar_ADH082298_20130830102713_13691.pdf

The Allstar has narrow, medium, and wide, beam options WITH or WITHOUT spill louvers as well as other options such as:
C3 = 3' Cord with no plug (Specify Voltage) C6 = 6' Cord, Prewired (Specify Voltage)

U3 = 3' USL Water Tight Cord & Plug for USL System (Specify Voltage)
F1 = Single Fuse (120, 277 or 347V only)
F2 = Double Fuse (208, 240 or 480V only)
HD = Heavy-Duty Shroud
RQ = Remote Quartz
RT = Remote Quartz Cold Start Time Delay
TV = Top Visor (Black Polyester Powder Coated)

Any suggestions on the best common sense options for configuring the product (or a different product) for the customer? I realize I may need to ask the customer some additional followup questions to satisfy his needs. Some concerns are which beam option would be best fit the need and if it should have spill louvers or not as well as the voltage option.

Does 1000 watt sound sufficient for a 150 x 200 ft space? That particular model maxes at 1650 watts. I'm open to other products from Cooper Lighting if anyone has suggestions since I reached the limit of what the Cooper rep could do for me over the phone. Thanks in advance for any help given.

SemiMan

Banned
Hi everybody. I work at a big box store, and a customer called asking only about getting four 1000W Metal Halide lights for a youth arena with general dimensions of 150 FT X 200 FT. My thought was the customer wants one fixture for each side of the arena.

To get me started, a Cooper Lighting rep sent me a spec sheet for their outdoor flood AS Allstar:
http://webconfigurator.cooperlighti...AS_AllStar_ADH082298_20130830102713_13691.pdf

The Allstar has narrow, medium, and wide, beam options WITH or WITHOUT spill louvers as well as other options such as:
C3 = 3' Cord with no plug (Specify Voltage) C6 = 6' Cord, Prewired (Specify Voltage)

U3 = 3' USL Water Tight Cord & Plug for USL System (Specify Voltage)
F1 = Single Fuse (120, 277 or 347V only)
F2 = Double Fuse (208, 240 or 480V only)
HD = Heavy-Duty Shroud
RQ = Remote Quartz
RT = Remote Quartz Cold Start Time Delay
TV = Top Visor (Black Polyester Powder Coated)

Any suggestions on the best common sense options for configuring the product (or a different product) for the customer? I realize I may need to ask the customer some additional followup questions to satisfy his needs. Some concerns are which beam option would be best fit the need and if it should have spill louvers or not as well as the voltage option.

Does 1000 watt sound sufficient for a 150 x 200 ft space? That particular model maxes at 1650 watts. I'm open to other products from Cooper Lighting if anyone has suggestions since I reached the limit of what the Cooper rep could do for me over the phone. Thanks in advance for any help given.

If Arena we are talking indoors?

- Can you get the actual dimensions?

- If indoor, we will need the ceiling height. If outdoor, find out if there are any limitations on pole height

- For that size, you will likely need a lot more than 4 and much better to have fewer of higher wattage

One you have the height and floor dimensions, your Cooper rep should be able to do a lighting analysis and suggest how to properly light the space. Rodeo is a high risk activity so unless you light it properly, you set yourself up for liability issues.

Semiman

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I would suggest you advise your customer that the light from standard metal halide is really dismal. Maybe not the best for the children to be riding horses under at night. In my opinion, the best option may be to use a combination of halogen and ceramic metal halide on separate switches. Halogen really makes the most sense if the lights are not going to be used every night, and are not going to get left on continually throughout the night.

SemiMan

Banned
May I suggest Anders that you keep quiet on things you know absolutely nothing about such as this so you don't make such stupid suggestions. The mh light is more than adequate for the task.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Latest posts