100W LED headlight for my bicycle? WHY THE HECK NOT! :D

Razulian

Newly Enlightened
So I've been busy for a while with something new: a friggin' 100W >9000 lumen headlight for my bicycle.

Question #1: Why?
Because I can.
Now to #2: What are you going to use it for?
Cycle at night trough dark areas like the forest near my house which has a cycling route trough it (and everything is so cool at night).

#3: How are you powering it?
28 low quality NiMH batteries which I bought from Ebay for $10 (yeah I know), atleast I get lot's of light. :p

Anyhoo, it all started out with an idea for bike speakers about a month ago and suddenly I saw a 100W LED from a seller which also sold me 6 10W RGB LEDs (which are built into my ceiling as spotlight; another story).

The day after that I was going to the lab of a friend anyway and had the chance to use the machinery there and made a case for the speakers/electronics (which ended up being to small so I'll be making something that looks even better); I also built Arduino into it so that I could dim the headlight.

Here's a picture:
VuBeKfF.jpg

Not yet done, I'm kinda using rubber bands to hold the battery packs. :sssh:

I'm currently thinking of adding a collimator lens which is attached to two servos which are controlled by the Arduino. So I could then dim the lights AND control the beam of light and see much further than now.

That's it, just wanted to share it since I just joined CPF anyway.

PS: If anyone knows of a place where I could get cheap 18650 cells then please share (I prefer Ebay, I don't want to buy from a seller without knowing if he sells the real deal or not). That was the first reason why I joined CPF, to see if I could find some info about where I could find them for cheap. :3

PPS: DO NOT, I say DO NOT charge two 670µF 200V batteries to 40V and then hook them up in series and hold both the terminals with you bare hands when you want to use you multimeter to check the voltage. Just throwing it in there. lol

Esko

Enlightened
I'm currently thinking of adding a collimator lens which is attached to two servos which are controlled by the Arduino. So I could then dim the lights AND control the beam of light and see much further than now.

If you make high beams and low beams with a proper cut-off beam shape, I am interested.

PS: If anyone knows of a place where I could get cheap 18650 cells then please share (I prefer Ebay, I don't want to buy from a seller without knowing if he sells the real deal or not). That was the first reason why I joined CPF, to see if I could find some info about where I could find them for cheap. :3

:welcome:

If it is something similar to 28 NiMH for $10 that you want, I can't help you. Perhaps you should consider lithium polymer? But if you want to buy quality cells for as cheap as you can get, you could check CPF Market Place/Dealer's Corner for vendors like Wallbuys and Doingoutdoor. Wallbuys has protected Panasonic 18650 3400mAh for $17,60/2pcs (there was a group buy for 13,80/2pcs but it is over) and Doingoutdoor has Samsung 18650 3000mAh in clearance sale for $13/2pcs (you need a special charger to get the full 3000mAh capacity though). Dx.com and Fasttech have 3400mAh Panasonics, too (my friend had bought them from DX and they were good - I am not going to recommend any other batteries from DX or Fasttech though).

Disclaimer: I have not bought anything from Wallbuys, Doingoutdoor or Fasttech yet and no batteries from DX either.