harbor freight "thunderbolt magnum" aaa in cheap flashlight lives up to its name!boom

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
harbor freight "thunderbolt magnum" aaa in cheap flashlight lives up to its name!boom

a friend sent me this pic of a harbor freight battery that exploded in one of those cheap n nasty 3aaa led lights.
blew off the end of the light and the guts of 1 cell.
he thinks it came on in his pocket and overheated.maybe one led shorted when it died and popped the battery?
or a weak cell reversed?
oops no place to upload the pic!

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
Re: harbor freight "thunderbolt magnum" aaa in cheap flashlight lives up to its name!

No idea as to what happened, but I have 6-8 of those lights around the house as HF has them as freebies all the time.. have to keep an eye on them. 'Bout half of mine have rechargeable NIMH cells in them.. as the original cells die I replace them with rechargables.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Re: harbor freight "thunderbolt magnum" aaa in cheap flashlight lives up to its name!

I think the key here is "and the guts of 1 cell". One of the AAA cells was defective. "BOOM" events must result from a power source, and cells are power sources (so are capacitors when charged), but emitters and drivers are not.

I had a friend who encountered a similar surprise from a ITP A3 with single AAA a few years back.

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened

I once ripped open a dead cheap (but not expired) alkaline 9V battery when I was young. Several cells were leaked. One of the AAAA cells suddenly exploded, blowing its top and throwing pellets of junk across the room. The battery itself shot about 3 feet back, while people 20 feet away were hit in the face by flying bits of battery content. Alkies are not immune to explosions.

WILSON

Newly Enlightened

hf3_zps8449cb8e.jpg

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

a shorted led can indeed make a battery overheat and possibly explode.energy being converted to too much heat and BANG!
its getting filed under it was unsafe crap from harbor freight.
its long ago hit the trash so no autopsy possible.
I think the key here is "and the guts of 1 cell". One of the AAA cells was defective. "BOOM" events must result from a power source, and cells are power sources (so are capacitors when charged), but emitters and drivers are not.

I had a friend who encountered a similar surprise from a ITP A3 with single AAA a few years back.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Lol....love the flier.

I have been calling them harbor fright for a long time.

That said...I buy stuff there if it's too hard to screw up/ I might only need to use it once, etc.

I had a 5 K lb truck collapse a set of their 3 ton jack stands for example. ..but when the 6 ton ones were on sale for $20 each, I got them for the same weight truck that collapsed the 3 ton version. (And gave them to the guy who's 3 ton stands had folded).

For the cells, if one is damaged or different internal resistance, in series like that, bad things can happen.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Lol....love the flier.
When you need a tool that's good for a job-and-a-half, some cheap drill bits that you intend to abuse then use as center punches, just want something that's simultaneously heavy yet fragile, or are willing to pay a modest premium for a heavy-duty tool that you intend to use for light tasks which it might handle for a long time...

Last edited:

P Steinmetz

Newly Enlightened

I don't buy anything at Harbor Freight that plugs into the wall. I would probably be careful about climbing under a car held up by a Harbor Freight jack too.

Pete Steinmetz

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

...I had a 5 K lb truck collapse a set of their 3 ton jack stands for example. ..but when the 6 ton ones were on sale for $20 each, I got them for the same weight truck that collapsed the 3 ton version. (And gave them to the guy who's 3 ton stands had folded).

Which set of jack stands folded? Was the full 5000 lbs of weight on the jack? Did the truck fall on the jack or did it just fold under normal use? We have some HF jack stands so I'm wondering.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Which set of jack stands folded? Was the full 5000 lbs of weight on the jack? Did the truck fall on the jack or did it just fold under normal use? We have some HF jack stands so I'm wondering.

The rear was on the tires, and only the front was held up by the jacks during an engine swap, as I'd removed the front tires to make engine bay access easier to engine mounts, etc.

That means the TWO 3 ton jacks were ONLY holding up HALF of the 5,000 lb truck, and, they folded over during the night when no one was working under it luckily.

Also luckily, I had chocked the rear wheels, set the brake, and, chained the front bumper to a tree to keep the front end from moving...and the POS jacks STILL folded like cubby quail.

:D

10839164946_1c93c29f57_c.jpg

10839437343_be7816ed90_c.jpg

Two 3-Ton Harbor Fright Jacks "Supporting half an Xterra, poorly...."

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Gads. Thanks for the additional information, Teej. Glad no one was hurt!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone got a pic of the flashlight Thunderbolt Magnum? Is this the $2.99 9 led light sold by register. My 6 year old has this beside bed with nimh.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast

10839164946_1c93c29f57_c.jpg

10839437343_be7816ed90_c.jpg

Two 3-Ton Harbor Fright Jacks "Supporting half an Xterra, poorly...."

I think the picture voids the warantee. It shows the heavy wet leaves on top of vehicle, something no jack designer or disclaimer could predict.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see the thunderbolt is the cell. The light is what brand?

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I think the picture voids the warantee. It shows the heavy wet leaves on top of vehicle, something no jack designer or disclaimer could predict.

LOL

I think the fact that it was used as a JACK STAND probably voided the lifetime warranty. It probably had a disclaimer saying it was "not intended to support weight, and was for decorative purposes only"

inetdog

Enlightened

It looks like there was some side force on the stands too.
They are probably rated for 100% vertical load only. :(

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Excellent troll
biggrin.gif