*** Southern Ontario BeamShoot / Flashlight BBQ interest ? ***

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
As i mentioned in a past topic, i was working on a weekend BBQ/Meet/BeamShoot plan for any and all Flashaholics who may be interested in a Southern Ontario meet/BBQ night.
I have a couple locations that would work, all i need to know is there enough interested in doing this meet, on either weekend of this month for those who are availiable, and what weekend would be best.
We could do a camp ground BBQ, or a drive in park BBQ, for a fiew hours on a saturday, ( from 6 PM to 11 PM for a Beam Shoot Photography night) with photo gear, tripods, BBQ gear, etc supplied by me, and all you would have to bring is things to BBQ, and your torches/Lights !

Also can do a over night thing for those who want to stay the night,( i will supply my RV) or just an evening.
I will likley bring half or more of my entire colection. (Approximately 90 or more lights, 4 Hard cases ful of them and other "loose" lights.

I may even do a couple give-aways to anyone who attends.

*NOTE: this is also posted on anotehr forum, as this plan meet is for ALL Flashlight Enthusiasts.

- So who would still be interested in such a meet up ? :)

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
Im in if Im not working...I work every other weekend so depending on what day it is.
I might have to bring my girlfriend though.

Last edited:

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
was waiting to see if there was enough interest numbers to plan it. with the current sumer hot weather still hanging around, its not over yet :)

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
I would be interested if the meet zone is within an hours drive from Mississauga. otherwise, count me out. I would just be able to come for a few hours at night for some beamshots. maybe we can mix a drink, called the "beamshot" LOL

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
i live about an hour north from Misisauga. if we can get 4 or 5 interested then we can do it on any up coming weekend. ( now that the nights are getting longer for more beamshooting :)

One missed call

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Where abouts would it be? I am in North York and can try and make it if not to far and wife, I mean, weather permits. :)

There is one park around Leslie and Eglinton which last I visited at night has a huge section/open field which has minimal street/city light pollution.

I went there one night on a whim to test some lights but bailed after I realized I was about 1KM in the park and hadn't seen anyone since I pulled in except about 10 or so racoons.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Where abouts would it be? I am in North York and can try and make it if not to far and wife, I mean, weather permitting. :)

There is one park around Leslie and Eglinton which last I visited at night as a huge section/open field which has minimal street/city light.

I went there one night on a whim to test some lights but bailed after I realized I was about 1KM in the park and hadn't seen anyone since I pulled in except about 10 or so racoons.

Whoa, sounds like a great park... making me wish I could make it

SemiMan

Banned
Odds are with my travel schedule the next few months I will not be able to make it.

Semiman

One missed call

Newly Enlightened
Whoa, sounds like a great park... making me wish I could make it

As i've related before, my lights make me pretty brazen when walking at night. But this part of the park was pitch dark (no moonlight reminiscent of darkness that fell years ago during the east coast power outage) so I was a bit spooked especially with all the animals I saw when I first turned on one of my lights.

What's funny is that it's in the GTA and is one of few places I've seen you can go without drawing unnecessary/wrong kind of attention.

If you ever make your way out here let me know. Maybe then I will make the trek back in there! :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
As i've related before, my lights make me pretty brazen when walking at night. But this part of the park was pitch dark (no moonlight reminiscent of darkness that fell years ago during the east coast power outage) so I was a bit spooked especially with all the animals I saw when I first turned on one of my lights.

What's funny is that it's in the GTA and is one of few places I've seen you can go without drawing unnecessary/wrong kind of attention.

If you ever make your way out here let me know. Maybe then I will make the trek back in there! :)

LOL, big bright lights do make us braver. I remember the one time during a GT when I sotted 3 pairs of green balls bobbing up and down while holding something like an EZ AA. TK70, TK45 and DRY came out and we started walking over. it was only grazing deer, but when you only see eyes, you definitely are glad not to be alone.

My schedule is so hectic these times that I can bet a pay check I won't be able to make it, but I'm keeping in mind to send a heads up if I'm ever in the area.

Meanwhile, i'm due to organize something over here. If any of you guys are in the Montreal area in the coming weeks, let me know.

One missed call

Newly Enlightened
Its never "dark" in the city :). Those killer raccoons can be scary though.

Perhaps 'pitch dark' is not the best way to describe it but let me say - if you were 30 ft in front of me I wouldn't know you were standing there. No exaggeration.

SemiMan

Banned
That may have been due to the sky conditions that night. I find even 20 minutes north of Hamilton it is not very dark with noticeable sky glow.

One missed call

Newly Enlightened
That may have been due to the sky conditions that night. I find even 20 minutes north of Hamilton it is not very dark with noticeable sky glow.

Probably right. I thought about that as I wrote my response. Cloud ceiling, humidity, etc. All just right.

I want to go back but even a FF4 and DDR30 in each hand won't me comfortable out there alone. :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its never "dark" in the city :). Those killer raccoons can be scary though.

Naaaah, city racoons don't give a damn about us -unless they have rabies; I once was walking behind a racoon on the trail and he seemed to comletely ignore my presence. I had to make noise to make sure I wasn't about to startle him. He turned around to see what was my problem, but all he did was stare into my 150 lumen thrower (used to be today's 2400 lumen monster.) He didn't care one bit about me. Same for skunks. The same year I had one walking towards me on the sidewalk. I hissed to make sure it saw me, but all it did was look up and keep going ever so slowly like I didn't exist. I hissed some more and it finally figured I wasn't a big fan of skunks so it crossed the street like I was just being racist.

I get some almost pitch black conditions on my local trail beneath the trees and I almost got ran over by a guy once. If he hadn't been huffing and puffing from running he probably would have thrown me to the ground, but I turned my light on right in time (only had E01 in my hand), then he turned his on (my guess is a small sized Pelican from the yellow glare). I saw skunks, followed a racoon and had to chase alien deer out there. Nothing more dangerous around here as Montreal is an island and I'm in one of the safest areas - my insurance even gives me rebates for god's ache!. Do you guys get coyotes out there?

One missed call

Newly Enlightened
Crazy story - were you alone both times?

Toronto has skunks, raccoons, foxes, and coyotes. Next animal/wildlife to get attention will be the possum. Hasn't really been publicized much but it's coming.

Last night I was walking through the park and came across a fox. Kind of startled me a bit because I try and keep my light off as much as I can (other people with their dogs that I don't want to disturb) and it wasn't clear what I was seeing at first. At first I thought it was someone's dog as it was to dark to see. Turned on the light after a few moments and the light made the fox turn and go the other way.

Toronto is filled with wildlife. Most annoying are the raccoons that seem to be everywhere (even downtown - saw one at Remy's once). My guess is it's because trapping and harming a raccoon on your property is tantamount to killing about 3 people.

Naaaah, city racoons don't give a damn about us -unless they have rabies; I once was walking behind a racoon on the trail and he seemed to comletely ignore my presence. I had to make noise to make sure I wasn't about to startle him. He turned around to see what was my problem, but all he did was stare into my 150 lumen thrower (used to be today's 2400 lumen monster.) He didn't care one bit about me. Same for skunks. The same year I had one walking towards me on the sidewalk. I hissed to make sure it saw me, but all it did was look up and keep going ever so slowly like I didn't exist. I hissed some more and it finally figured I wasn't a big fan of skunks so it crossed the street like I was just being racist.

I get some almost pitch black conditions on my local trail beneath the trees and I almost got ran over by a guy once. If he hadn't been huffing and puffing from running he probably would have thrown me to the ground, but I turned my light on right in time (only had E01 in my hand), then he turned his on (my guess is a small sized Pelican from the yellow glare). I saw skunks, followed a racoon and had to chase alien deer out there. Nothing more dangerous around here as Montreal is an island and I'm in one of the safest areas - my insurance even gives me rebates for god's ache!. Do you guys get coyotes out there?

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crazy story - were you alone both times?

Yup :D
Toronto has skunks, raccoons, foxes, and coyotes. Next animal/wildlife to get attention will be the possum. Hasn't really been publicized much but it's coming.

Last night I was walking through the park and came across a fox. Kind of startled me a bit because I try and keep my light off as much as I can (other people with their dogs that I don't want to disturb) and it wasn't clear what I was seeing at first. At first I thought it was someone's dog as it was to dark to see. Turned on the light after a few moments and the light made the fox turn and go the other way.

Toronto is filled with wildlife. Most annoying are the raccoons that seem to be everywhere (even downtown - saw one at Remy's once). My guess is it's because trapping and harming a raccoon on your property is tantamount to killing about 3 people.

Those are not really dangerous animals and there are more chances they will startle you than the opposite. Nevertheless, they seem to be very used to human presence, therefore I would definitely watch out for the coyotes. The rest of them would only present a problem if you actually startle them or if they have rabies, which fortunately doesn't happen too often.

I don't know much about possums, I'd do some reading first. Smaller animals normally only attack if they feel threatened or to protect the young and usually give plenty of warning first.

I also got charged by 2 partridges at different occasions on the same day, but that was in the aternoon. They don't attack for real (found out the hard way), but almost gave me a heart attack both times, especially that I thought the second one was a Falcon (some species make their nest on the ground) and I had to climb giant boulders to get past it and back to the car. Then there was the bear while camping last summer, but I was surrounded by plenty of other campers... about a hundred feet behind the bear (and behind me;)) I was the only one to be persuasive enough to send him back where he came from for good. The flashlights definitely helped on that one.

Last edited: