Battery question?

thornemi

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I have a solarstorm x2 bike light which has an 8.4v battery pack but after a recent tumble is now toast, I have a few 2s and 3s lipos kicking around,is either too out the voltage range of the led to use safely. Ta

Toaster79

Enlightened
2S LiPos should do the trick even better than original battery pack. Make sure you get the protection circuit for those packs, since you really don't want to overdischarge them (talking about fumes and flames)

thornemi

Newly Enlightened
Brilliant, thank you for your fast response, I do have a low voltage buzzer and the light has it integrated so should be ok.

znomit

Enlightened
Would be good as an upgrade but too heavy really. I have tried a 1000 mah 2s Lipo and it ran for 45 mins on medium power. My own lvc bleeped before the onboard one on the light bleeped. Does any one know why these bike lights have a 8.4 v battery, when a li I'll cell is 3.7 v

3.7 is kinda the average discharge voltage.
They charge to 4.2V, and thats the biggerest number the marketing team could get its hands on.

ianfield

Newly Enlightened
2S LiPos should do the trick even better than original battery pack. Make sure you get the protection circuit for those packs, since you really don't want to overdischarge them (talking about fumes and flames)
- and if you do light them up - *NEVER* throw water on a lithium fire!!!! - burying it in sand is best.

thornemi

Newly Enlightened
Cheers for the advice, Hopefully I wont have any issues, I only use Overlander batteries, Review of the Solarstorm X2 to come shortly.