With new CREE XP-L LEDs our FL33 EDC flashlight exceeded 2100 lumens

OH BOY!

Default Re: Moddoolar Discussion and Updates

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    From their Facebook page today:

With new CREE XP-L LEDs our FL33 EDC flashlight exceeded 2100 lumens

OH BOY!
    Incredible! The heat must also be incredible
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacL View Post
    Incredible! The heat must also be incredible
    Absolutely. That's what I was thinking too....

The light engine heads are still not on the website, I hope a new version is coming.

Any idea when the TL50 bodies in black will be ready.

Also how about black triad tailcaps with the short clip.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle1911 View Post

Also how about black triad tailcaps with the short clip.
    +1

Also TL130

Quote Originally Posted by FortyCaliber View Post
    Also TL130
    130's are ready to ship:

http://www.oveready.com/moddoolar-db.../prod_207.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle1911 View Post
    The light engine heads are still not on the website, I hope a new version is coming.

Also how about black triad tailcaps with the short clip..
    The reason we're less commicative this month is preparations for next month

TL50's didn't' make it into this years body batch but will be top of the list next year. Probably late winter.

We have trit/clip triads ready to go and are waiting on more clips to turn on the option. Should be 2-4 weeks.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

Were there ever any slim body, 65 millimeter DB bodies made in the past? Will it happen in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Were there ever any slim body, 65 millimeter DB bodies made in the past? Will it happen in the future?

Yes, we made slim 35,50,and 65.

I am unsure if we will run them again.

To me they make great minimal and lightwieght setups, as well as offer different grip options.

I often carry a slim50 with a ZRS and 18650 setup while backpacking. The result is a lot of illumination per inch and ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Moddoo View Post

I often carry a slim50 with a ZRS and 18650 setup
    I like the 2x18350s in it....

Quote Originally Posted by Moddoo View Post
    Yes, we made slim 35,50,and 65.

I am unsure if we will run them again.

To me they make great minimal and lightwieght setups, as well as offer different grip options.

I often carry a slim50 with a ZRS and 18650 setup while backpacking. The result is a lot of illumination per inch and ounce.
    When I heard that you all would probably not make any more 50mm slim bodies, I bought another. They are that great. I know Oveready still offers the slim 50mm bodies in black but the naturals are only listed under the Moddoolar section, not in the parts section. My guess is that the 65mm slims sold out and implore you to make some more of them. But, what I think is fantastic ( like the 2Z bodies ) did not sell that much I guess. Boggles my mind.

A single emitter Wasp head with a slim 65mm? WOW

But, what I think is fantastic ( like the 2Z bodies ) did not sell that much I guess. Boggles my mind.
    Yeah, its a challenge. 1) slims cost more to make but don't sell at the higher pricer. 2) slims are unconventional so even at the same price, sell much more slowly. 3) taking up room and cash, making normal bodies has to happen less often, so everything gets harder to keep in all sizes. We are now focused on the key standard diameter sizes and will watch as the remaining slims continue to sell through.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

When I heard that you all would probably not make any more 50mm slim bodies, I bought another. They are that great.
    My last order I ordered a natural TL50s to add to my TL50s and TL65s in black. I prefer the slim over the regular body, put a clip on it, lanyard wrapped around the body & through the clip. Super comfortable carry.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    Yeah, its a challenge. 1) slims cost more to make but don't sell at the higher pricer. 2) slims are unconventional so even at the same price, sell much more slowly. 3) taking up room and cash, making normal bodies has to happen less often, so everything gets harder to keep in all sizes. We are now focused on the key standard diameter sizes and will watch as the remaining slims continue to sell through.
    Yeah. I have absolutely no 'beef' with the Oveready Team. It's the customers. Unless you WANT more weight and slightly more bulk, the slim bodies are easier to hold on to and work superb with a lanyard. Plus they look more interesting; one opinion.

That whole, "too pricey" comment makes me laugh, when you figure out how much folks here have spent on their light collections. Considering the Oveready resale value, along with a quick cost analysis over time, it is an excuse I can live without.
    Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 03-06-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Flashaholic

Anyone know where I can find a slim 65mm body? I want to run 2 18350 batteries in it with my V5 Wasp.

Thanks!

Sorry, Slims have not been popular enough to make again. Your best shot are a WTB or a WTT for a standard 65.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Just to add my opinion in order to 'widen' views here a bit:

In the tropics, I've noticed that the lower amount of material in a slim body also makes a difference in how quickly the body heats up. It's significant enough to make a difference between a SF C3 (less material) versus a 9P or MD3-style body (more material).

That said, I'm surprised you guys are not doing a line of 1x26650 and 2x26650 bodies. The only option for them in the market is fivemega's bodies, which have an unusual square-cut knurling and there's not many of them left anyway as far a black goes, or TnC's bodies which need an adaptor to fit C heads and won't work with the Wasp heads. Anyone else in support of 26650 bodies with more conventional knurling designs?
    Last edited by Flea Bag; 07-16-2015 at 12:26 AM.
    ---------------------

Default Moddoolar Discussion and Updates

I love trying new things but also watch carefully how they are received. Things that dudes like get more support, things they don't fade away.

We introduced the ODL years ago as a 1x26650 P60 platform. Watching that single batch (never sold enough to make more) item sell and then not has been interesting. 26mm demand waxes and wanes, with bursts of demand after a hot new LED or dropin then years before the next burst. So too with battery capacity, 26650 gaining and then 18650 taking away its new advantage. Complicating matters, the size requires its own tailcap, reducing how good it can be with inserts and clips.

The trend has and will continue to be toward smaller and lighter. In the battle of runtime versus weight, small keeps winning. Larger cells don't make for a brighter package any more and can't compete with only runtime. When v5 became a possibility I put remaining ODL on hold, to test demand without risking another production run. When they can be sold together I'll do one last check. But I'm not that hopeful.
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 07-16-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

I love trying new things but also watch carefully how they are received. Things that dudes like get more support, things they don't fade away.

We introduced the ODL years ago as a 1x26650 P60 platform. Watching that single batch (never sold enough to make more) item sell and then not has been interesting. 26mm demand waxes and wanes, with bursts of demand after a hot new LED or dropin then years before the next burst. So too with battery capacity, 26650 gaining and then 18650 taking away its new advantage. Complicating matters, the size requires its own tailcap, reducing how good it can be with inserts and clips.

The trend has and will continue to be toward smaller and lighter. In the battle of runtime versus weight, small keeps winning. Larger cells don't make for a brighter package any more and can't compete with only runtime. When v5 became a possibility I put remaining ODL on hold, to test demand without risking another production run. When they can be sold together I'll do one last check. But I'm not that hopeful.
    Dan, do you and how do you distinguish whether a particular product itself is not popular or its price is not attractive. As the clientele of high-end lights typically have more money to spend, or at least are more willing to spend it, for them interest, not cost, is likely the deciding factor. Therefore, if a product is catered to this group and it doesn't sell well, chances are the product is not popular. On the other hand, if a product that is made for the more price-conscious flashaholic doesn't sell well, it could simply be that it's too expensive.

Default Moddoolar Discussion and Updates

Quote Originally Posted by scs View Post
    Dan, do you and how do you distinguish whether a particular product itself is not popular or its price is not attractive. As the clientele of high-end lights typically have more money to spend, or at least are more willing to spend it, for them interest, not cost, is likely the deciding factor. Therefore, if a product is catered to this group and it doesn't sell well, chances are the product is not popular. On the other hand, if a product that is made for the more price-conscious flashaholic doesn't sell well, it could simply be that it's too expensive.
    By itself, a given product is not enough to tell. But thats where context comes in. If the 6P was the only P60 option and it was $80, 6P sales would show [those who want P60] + [those willing to spend $80]. But add in an L2 at $15 and things get more complex. The continued presence of both shows that [those who want P60] are spread across [those willing to spend $80] and [those willing to spend $15]. If either group of people stopped buying, the respective category would disappear.

From my standpoint as a producer, the inverse also helps me to distinguish demand. If [those who want 26mm] were a large group, there would be both enough of [those willing to spend $120] that I would have already made a 2nd batch. At the same time, [those willing to spend $20] would have inspired the production of at least one model at least one time. That neither has happened indicates inconsistent if not minimal demand.

So while my insistance on small local production neccasarily limits the number of people I can sell to, it does not automatically mean that everything I make would be largely popular if mass produced abroad. Sometimes limited production also means I get to make things with limited demand.
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 07-16-2015 at 08:06 PM.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Interesting discussion. Thanks for taking the time to answer these good questions. I really appreciate suppliers who not only have good products, but that take time to listen to their clients.
    Thanks, CPF!

Thanks for the explanation.

Flashaholic*

I haven't been paying this thread too much attention in regards to no longer producing the slim bodies. I was checking out the natural slim 50 yesterday and it says...
    "Product Code: TL-SL-Tube-NT/LT
    This item is temporarily out of stock in the options (size/colour/etc) you have chosen. Please consider choosing different options."

I assumed that meant it would be back in stock again because of the "temporarily out of stock". then I saw this thread. the odd thing is that if you go to the moddoolar pocket flashlight page and go through the options, it looks like you can choose the natural slim 50 as a body. is there a small stash off the natural slim 50 bodies left but are being reserved for the next batch of wasp heads?

Sorry, no. Our web software isn't that great and when there is low stock for two joined conditions (color + size here) it does a poor job of communicating. I'll need to manually refresh the numbers as they disappear. There are 3 dark 50 slims remaining, all are ready for purchase:

http://www.oveready.com/moddoolar-sl.../prod_349.html
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Flashaholic*

thanks for the update, just placed an order for one. now i just got to wait for the wasp heads to get back in stock.

Flashaholic

Dan, will you be releasing the regular TL50 tubes....the ones printed wrongly with TL65?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny70 View Post
    Dan, will you be releasing the regular TL50 tubes....the ones printed wrongly with TL65?
    Good question. Getting the v5 developed and produced has sucked up all our time and resources. The bodies still exist but are not the point I want them. Rather then stretching it out and hoping it works, I'm considering releasing them as they stand today. Then make more from scratch as we also run out of 35 and 65 in the coming months.

So the question is, would dudes enjoy a custom looking body like this, with an exposed metal trim line?:

Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Good question. Getting the v5 developed and produced has sucked up all our time and resources. The bodies still exist but are not the point I want them. Rather then stretching it out and hoping it works, I'm considering releasing them as they stand today. Then make more from scratch as we also run out of 35 and 65 in the coming months.

So the question is, would dudes enjoy a custom looking body like this, with an exposed metal trim line?:

Why can't the TL65 be sanded off and recoated? Just have no markings at all.

Quote Originally Posted by oneinthaair View Post
    Why can't the TL65 be sanded off and recoated? Just have no markings at all.
    That was the plan. But the recoating and recutting process (to expose the bottom lip again) has already taken to much time, would need more months, could interfere with making more from scratch, and may not even work (we've never tried it). The only option for having 50mm bodies this summer is to go as is.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

That shouldn't bother me at all, especially at a discounted price. I personally wouldn't call it a custom accent. I can always cover it with Alumahyde or something similar....or o-rings for increased grip.

Had you taken a Dremel and roughly ground off the letters, and covered it in black nail polish, I'd have bought one months ago.
    Last edited by Grizzman; 07-27-2015 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
    That shouldn't bother me at all, especially at a discounted price. I personally wouldn't call it a custom accent. I can always cover it with Alumahyde or something similar....or o-rings for increased grip.
    Yes, one of the benefits of this plan is 1) those who like the design can get it now and 2) those who don't, can wait for new bodies and 3) the sales to group #1 will happen sooner while accelerating production for group #2.
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 07-27-2015 at 09:43 PM.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast