My trip to Australia and New Zealand

Blak7712

Newly Enlightened
Me and my Grandmother are going on a trip to Australia for 3 days, then flying to New Zealand for 4 more days. Be cause I will be in foreign countries I would like to bring something to defend myself. I would like to know the restrictions kn knives for both areas. I have my knife I have for personal use that has a 5 1/2 inch blade, which I doubt I can bring and can't even carry in Tennessee, but I have been looking at a Karambit that is 4 inches long, which I can carry here, and I was wondering if I can bring and carry it with me to these places aswell, and if not what kind of knife should I look into for self protection.

Norm

Retired Administrator
if not what kind of knife should I look into for self protection.

You cannot carry knives in either country, unless you meet very specific requirements. You will will not need to carry a knife to defend yourself in either country, the natives are quite friendly. :)

Please leave your knives at home.

AUSTRALIA'S TOUGHEST KNIFE LAWS NOW EVEN TOUGHER

Knife Laws in Australia??

New Zealand knife laws?

The above threads are old and to my knowledge the laws have gotten even tougher.

Norm

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Follow Norms's recommendations. You might only need a knife, if you can use it, in some of our US cities, and in some, you might need a handgun. LOL.

Bill

Blak7712

Newly Enlightened
You will will not need to carry a knife to defend yourself in either country, the natives are quite friendly. :)

Norm

Haha I expected nothing less from the natives, they are two great countries and im sure the people in them are great I just always like to be over prepared for every situation. Hence the Karambit I've got my eye on

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reality is the crime rate in both New Zealand and Australia is very low compared to the USA, especially the violent crime rate. That is in part do the fact that it is very difficult to obtain or possess the kinds of weapons that are routinely carried in places like the USA. The right to bear arms of any kind does not exist in either country, so the importation and sale of most things capable of being used as a weapon are tightly controlled and the level of compliance with local laws regarding weapons is very high.

There are some bad neighborhoods in both Countries, but you are going to have go out of your way to find them, and even then, they are unlikely to be anywhere near as dangerous (and are far less common) than 'bad neighborhoods' in the USA. The only thing bringing anyting bigger than a swiss army knife is likely to bring you in either country is a lot of trouble. So leave the weapons at home, and enjoy your visit. The natives are very friendly, the risk of being a victim of a crime is essentially zero.

And yes, I have spent a lot of time in both countries both in the big city, and 'off the beaten path'. Never had a problem, and for that matter, never met anyone who has had a problem either.

Last edited:

ASheep

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure Karambits are illegal here, if you are found with one in your luggage you'll get to experience the joys of customs interrogation. As has been said, carrying anything with the intent to use it for self defense is illegal. I EDC a Victorinox Spartan lite, and have never had any problems with the law as it is classified as a "tool". However if you're being a tool to a police officer, expect to be arrested for carrying a weapon... I live in Sydney, our laws are slightly more lenient than in Melbourne, I'm pretty sure unless you have an immediately obvious purpose for carrying a blade, it is deemed illegal down there...
Any knife that is assisted opening is prohibited, as are butterfly knives. Double edged blades are illegal in most states too.
The only severe violent crimes in most parts are bikie/gang related, and they tend to keep amongst themselves. Once you get out of the bigger cities, no-one really cares what blade you carry unless you're doing something wrong.

Enjoy your time here, and over in NZ.

Cheers,
Alex

hkenawy

Newly Enlightened
bringing a karambit requires an import permit but they are sold here
i have a few
carrying them in public is pretty much illegal

Jaytaylor

Newly Enlightened
Crikey! I've been carrying folding knives for the last 9 years in NZ (since I arrived from UK) for the last two years its been a Hinderer XM-18 and for bush walks I carry either a Busse NMFSH, TGLB or a Fallkniven A1 fixed on the outside of my pack.

I had no idea I may have been illegal, I thought blades under 10cm were ok to carry provided they are not double edged, auto or concealed (buckle/boot knife).

I guess EDC utility carry of a 3.5" folding knife isn't a reasonable excuse!?! As a knife collector and long term user/carrier of knives this isn't the best news.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrying a knife in Australia is not illegal - however you do have to be able to provide just cause to be carrying it. Self defense is NOT just cause, and you'll get a $1000 fine, the knife confiscated and likely be told to leave the country. I carry a knife (and not a small one) every day, but in my work uniform, and I use it daily for work - that is just cause. You can carry a knife if you're going to a picnic (and have food/cooking eqiupment with you to back up the claim) as the knife would be a for food preparation - that is a just cause.

Apart from the law - I believe that anyone who carries a knife for the explicit purpose of self defense Deleted - Norm. In Australia, at least, it's an utterly stupid notion.

There are, of course, specific types of knives that are straight up illegal - this can vary from state to state but the general list has already been covered in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: