• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

BMI 30 Titanium Mule -- a custom build

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The finished light--taken in a dark room, so the light really isn't that dark. :)

BMI30MuleFinal-12A_zpsdacc35db.jpg

Custom built bead blasted Titanium Mule with 23 Trit vials, supplied by the customer, installed.

The twist light started out as bare Ti and the resulting parts were highly polished to prepare it for bead blasting. All credit for the great bead blasting goes to TranquillityBase, who graciously took time out from his riding to do the work. :twothumbs

Before bead blasting:

BMI30MuleWIP-1_zpsbae1d96f.jpg

BMI30MuleWIP-4_zpsd427b5f5.jpg

And after:

BMI30MuleWIP-6_zpsdbe5345f.jpg

The light is the background is for comparison--it was highly polished.

As with any mule, hiding the leads to the LED will improve the appearance of the light:

BMI30MuleWIP-11_zpsec5e30de.jpg

The Cree XP-G2, 4000K, LED with the wiring in place--pretty ugly, no? On the right is a Delrin spacer, with a groove cut into the bottom of it, to clear the leads.

BMI30MuleWIP-12_zpsd9be3ae2.jpg

And the top of the Delrin spacer was machined to hold four Trit vials.

BMI30MuleWIP-14_zps4444f936.jpg

And the Trits in the dark.

BMI30MuleFinal-9_zps6f9bdaf7.jpg

Add in the few remaining pieces, the lens, some O-rings, a silicone gasket and the IMR 18350 battery and it's done:

BMI30MuleFinal-6_zpsbc956f25.jpg

BMI30MuleFinal-7_zps8efd04cc.jpg

And a final parting shot of the tail end in the dark:

BMI30MuleFinal-10_zps35817983.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I love the design and I LOVE the "dark" looking shots Fred! Do one of these in Al with AlTiN coating and :takeit:

What is the UI/modes/output on these gem?

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I love this! I might be interested in a build like this, and adapt it to be wearable on a necklace.

^I would also like to know more about the LE and UI

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are such a wizard.

You should try your wizard hands at anodizing that bead blasting. I bet you could get a really fuzzy dark blue which would be no less resistant to scratches than the bead blasting itself I think.

Maybe next time.

Hell of a light. Fat battery? 18350?

obi

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys.

As for the LE and UI:

The driver is the Nanjg 105C with three modes: Low (10%), Medium (50%) and High (100%); the maximum drive current is 2.8A. The battery is an AW IMR 18350.

I don't think the BMI 30 Titanium mule would make a great neck light--the BMI 30 is a polite way of saying, "It's obese." :D

The light is 30mm in diameter and 62mm long.

As for the dark appearance in the photo, yes, Obi, I was wondering the same thing, if anodizing it a dark color might look good, or not.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh a deep blue or purple would most definitely look good with those trits! Not a doubt in my mind! The anodizing on bead blast really takes on the oil-slick in rainbow colors, so blue would show deep greens and golds, purple would show pinks blues golds all over the spectrum. A thing of beauty, as if it's not already.

Nicely done Fred, once again!

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fred, The BMI 30 Titanium Mule arrived today and I must say I couldn't be more pleased. This one is definitely a work of art that I am proud to own. I'll try her out tonight...Many Thanks....Robert

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am hoping to hike the AT this year, starting in late April/early May. That means I will not be doing any flashlights for at least six months. That means I might be able to resume in November.

And right now, I still have stuff to complete before the end of April, so no commissions for some time.

Sorry that I can't work with you for some time, but the AT calls.

nbp

Flashaholic
Super cool Fred! Please document your trip and share with us in the Adventuring and Questing subforum. That would be awesome!

Most important question: what lights will you be taking??

nbp

Flashaholic
Aww c'mon. I was hoping you were gonna spin a little AA Mule or something. [emoji6]