Gearbest        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay "4000 lm", "120m" Dive Light.

Default Re: Ebay "4000 lm", "120m" Dive Light.

Hahaha, that's why I was asking about this one!

Then as Packhorse said, MAG mods are well proven and well documented. The driver in this one would be a PITA to try to replace, as it appears to have some sort of linear hall effect element in the switch. Plus, the MAG would be cheaper and better built.
    Last edited by DIWdiver; 10-31-2013 at 04:37 PM.

So... Been really busy these couple of week so haven't had the chance to update this. After trialling the methods of Acetone, WD40, and Boiling Water, I finally managed to free the epoxy from the glass, within 5 minutes of the heat gun. Worked a charm. Cheers for the help all! =)

Congrats!

ANd thankfully it was a GLASS lens ;-)

Finally got a chance to re-assemble and dive this light yesterday. Did 2 dives to 18m and 12m. The light worked really well during the first dive, producing a beam strong enough for me to look under ledges in daylight and showing no signs of flooding. 10 minutes into the 2nd dive, the light started getting dimmer and was fully out of battery by 15 minutes. To be expected I suppose, considering it's running 3xXMLs on a mere 2 18650s. Overall, very pleased with the quality of this light. Definitely much better than the Trustfire DF-003 but could probably benefit from some better optics and the beam was really wide.

Quote Originally Posted by kymteo View Post
    Finally got a chance to re-assemble and dive this light yesterday. Did 2 dives to 18m and 12m. The light worked really well during the first dive, producing a beam strong enough for me to look under ledges in daylight and showing no signs of flooding. 10 minutes into the 2nd dive, the light started getting dimmer and was fully out of battery by 15 minutes. To be expected I suppose, considering it's running 3xXMLs on a mere 2 18650s. Overall, very pleased with the quality of this light. Definitely much better than the Trustfire DF-003 but could probably benefit from some better optics and the beam was really wide.
    I'm happy you were able to get in the water with them. I finally received my batteries but have been plagued with diving set backs. The last four outings I've planned have been cancelled.

Now that you've had them apart and in the water, I'd like to use these as video lights. My first step would be to remove the reflector. Will the pill stay seated in the flashlight, or does it use the reflector to stay in place?

Quote Originally Posted by KrameE View Post
    I'm happy you were able to get in the water with them. I finally received my batteries but have been plagued with diving set backs. The last four outings I've planned have been cancelled.

Now that you've had them apart and in the water, I'd like to use these as video lights. My first step would be to remove the reflector. Will the pill stay seated in the flashlight, or does it use the reflector to stay in place?
    The pill uses the reflector to stay in place. However, it fits pretty snugly into the housing and I suspect that it would stay in place even if you remove the reflector though I don't reckon it will be very secure.

Enlightened

Hi Kymteo, how are the torches getting on? shall I buy a couple or not ? Keep watching this thread with a mind to convert to video lights like the '1800' lumen chinese torches... although power supply is going to have to come from a canister this time to give the runtime I want.....
    John

Unenlightened

This has got to go down as the worst first post ever so I apologize in advance but I'm really interested in the image on the wall. Is it a decal or is that a shadow, any help appreciated, it's something I'd like to use in my daughters room. Thanks

Its not a shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by johnohuk View Post
    Hi Kymteo, how are the torches getting on? shall I buy a couple or not ? Keep watching this thread with a mind to convert to video lights like the '1800' lumen chinese torches... although power supply is going to have to come from a canister this time to give the runtime I want.....
    John
    Hi Johno. They been working great without any modifications. So much so that my cannister light project is on hold. Brought them with me down to phuket for a liveaboard and they worked perfectly for 4 night dives. Doesn't last as long as I'd like it to though. Lasts about 1 and a half dives and so it gets a little annoying without spare batteries. Other than that, no complains at all!

Enlightened

Ok , cheers for the update kymteo .. might invest in one....

John

Quote Originally Posted by kymteo View Post
    Hi Johno. They been working great without any modifications. So much so that my cannister light project is on hold. Brought them with me down to phuket for a liveaboard and they worked perfectly for 4 night dives. Doesn't last as long as I'd like it to though. Lasts about 1 and a half dives and so it gets a little annoying without spare batteries. Other than that, no complains at all!
    Hi! Are they enough (a pair) to "lighten up the reef" in a daylight dive? Did you test them, not for close ups, but for wide lightening? Or they don't have the power to spread far away?

Thanks!

Hi Guys!

I´m about to go diving in Curaçao in a month. After reading this thread, I decided to follow Johnohuk Idea and use a dual set-up of this flashlight, but this time, differently from Kymteo, I wanted to see the differences and advantages / disadvantages between removing the diffuser and having the leds the closest possible to the glass lens. If this is a worthwhile modification or not.

I turned on the lathe and milled an … equivalent in dimensions aluminum part as the diffuser. But I made it flat on the surface, almost to the point the leds would touch the glass. I made the threads so it would screw over the bottom part (where the electronics is) and on the led support itself (it has a hole right on the middle).. This is the set of parts apart. The circuit, the bottom aluminum part, that holds the circuit, the leds. The lower one to the left is the part created.

This is how it looks, when assembled. Although it does not seem apparent in the picture, the leds are almost touching the glass... I turned on the lathe the internal walls of the where the leds sit a little bit more, so there are more .. room for the light to .. spread... laterally. I had milled a hole the exact size of the led stand at first.

I then ran a series of pictures in… my bedroom, completely dark, with a camera in a tripod… With both flashlights (one modded, the other original) side by side. The wall at the back is aprox. 3 metres from the flashlights. The front part of the bed is at 1.2 metres.

Then another pictures with the flashlights over the bed, at 1.2 metres from the wall.

Original flashlight with diffuser, pointed to the wall. Wall at 3 metres, front of the bed at 1.2 metres (below)

Modded flashlight, no diffuser, Same settings. (below)

Original flashlight, pointed a little bit to the bed´s front (below), and camera too.

Modded flashlight, same settings (below)

Original flashlight, over the bed, at 1.2m from the wall (below)

Modded flashlight, over the bed, same settings (below)

What do you guys think of it? Any suggestions, as how to improve, maybe some ideas? I´ve not modded the other flashlight yet… personally I think that the light is surely more even...but I think this made it weaker... At furthest distances (3 metres) it looses a lot it´s brightness. In a distance about 1 metre, it lights the scene evenly, but not so brightly. I´m kind of disappointed.... Would underwater be the same? Want me to run more different tests? Would a pair of these modded be enough for filming underwater? Would this also be nice for wideangle footage, or it´s too weak? For instance, to film in daylight, to restore colors to a reef and a diver swimming over it?

Thanks!

Enlightened

Hi Rimbaldo,
    interesting test, from what I can see, the light output is the same as two of my lights, I was expecting more... I wonder what current your lights are drawing?

I think underwater it will have the same sort of coverage albeit the scenery underwater could be more variable so the range is not going to be so clear to see. Have you seen my video? I don't think you will be dissapointed by the results though.. the difference in having a light and not having one is substantial... Two would definitely be a good idea.. I could have done with a little more in the wreck diving and night diving ...

The other thing I've noticed is that when you add the second light, it won't be twice as bright on the subject, more like 20-30% more...

What's the runtime on full power ? This was my only concern with a triple LED torch, as currently I can do two dives on one set of batteries (2 of) which wasn't too difficult to manage.

Would be interesting to see if a video camera captures the levels differently...what camera are you planning to use with it? I've got some frames captured using VLC at http://johnohuk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/...it-in-use.html

John
    Last edited by johnohuk; 05-01-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Hi Rimbaldo,
    interesting test, from what I can see, the light output is the same as two of my lights, I was expecting more...
    How can you possibly tell?

Enlightened

Scientifically I can't without testing. .. but comparing the shots with the way it looks against my lights here taking distance/light spread etc it looks sort of similar as 2... So I'll say from a gut feel only...that's my caveat. .. what are u r thoughts?

I've bought one, I'll do it more Scientifically...
    Last edited by johnohuk; 05-03-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Hi! I´ve made a mistake...

I was measuring the power output of both flashlights... The modded one was outputting 1,48A, and the original one was at 2,32A. So the modded was fainter also because it was draining less energy...

I happened that I didn´t manage to close the modded one properly with the glass, thick o´ring and then the metal screw cap... I couldn´t put the o´ring back, and was afraid of ... damaging it. So for testing purporses I only put the glass and the cap, but with no o´ring...

So the magnetic switch couldn´t be on maximum output, because the metal base, where the board is, wasn´t properly... pressed at it´s base....

I checked it outside the flashlight and it could consume 2,37A, so the board was ok.

So I assembled it with the o´ring... It was easy actually, just needed some pressure... And it works ok now, 2.37A.

I´ll run the tests at the dark room again to see if there´s any visible difference...

I´ll use a GoPro Hero 3+.. I´ll test with the GoPro too, besides the camera... just to check how it performs...

Rodrigo

You simply cant compare light out put from 2 lights via photographs. There are far to many variables.
    Distance from camera, colour shape and texture of subject, type of camera, lens on camera, F stop of lens, shutter speed of camera, white balance of camera, exposure compensation of camera, cropping of photo, adjustments made to photo via software + many more.
    You only need to change one of these to make a dramatic change to the pic.

Hi! All the pictures I took were set-up in a tripod, in a fixed distance, with aperture, shutter speed and WB fixed, with the same lens, with a DSLR, with no adjustments made, besides the camera´s own and only resizing. I´ve chosen lower speeds (1/60 and even 1/30), at F3.5. Surely, if I lower the shutter speeds, I get darker and darker pictures, but the point was just to compare two flashlights with a removal of the reflector, in a similar ambient condition.

But anyway, what I noticed is that when using the flashlights and the GoPRO at 1080p at 60FPS, fixed also on a tripod (in a complete dark room, except from the light of the flashlights, the automatic exposure settings of the GoPro makes the focused halo of the unmodded flashlight so bright at it´s center that, at least on a white wall, that the image inside the halo almost dissapears.. seems to make it impossible to use as a video light. There´s a really focused bright beam, and looses quickly the brightness around it... In the modded one the video frame seems equally bright. Not able to fulfill the entire frame in a distance of 3 metres, with just one video light, although. I´ll post the frames from the video later.

But, not considering the pictures from the DSLR, and using just the GoPro as a reference, at least to me, it seems impossible to use the flashlight un-modded. But I´ll run more tests in an ambient where´s the main focus is not a white wall....

Quote Originally Posted by Rimbaldo View Post
    Hi! All the pictures I took were set-up in a tripod, in a fixed distance.....
    Yes. So you can compare one light to the next. My point was that johnohuk cant compare his photos with yours because he hasnt set up his camera the same as yours.

Enlightened

Your right Packhorse and I'm talking utter bollox.... please ignore my comments Rimbaldo... now where can I find another bit of scrap metal for a heatsink and some tie wraps...

Your right Packhorse and I'm talking utter bollox.... please ignore my comments Rimbaldo... now where can I find another bit of scrap metal for a heatsink and some tie wraps...
    Did yours arrive? I´ll do this weekend the mod to the other one... I´ll then test them both inside a pool....

Enlightened

Hi Rodrigo, yes got mine today from a UK reseller... managed to tear it down... I think I was lucky to get the bezzle off with long nose pliers..! Just testing it in a bucket of water now and then I'll do some runtime/brightness tests with my Arduino light meter and a camera..

Nice! Post your results then!!! Thanks!

Enlightened

As far as I can tell so far...

On Trustfire 2800mAh batteries it lasts ~36 mins
    On Xtar 2600mAh batteries it lasts ~52 mins..

Need to run a few more tests, but if it stays within these times you either have to replace batteries for every dive with a Trustfire and every other dive with an Xtar...thats based on 30-45min dive turning it on and off when not in use.. sometimes I leave the light on for longer periods and sometime its on and off all the time.. if ur doing two dives a dive, then Xtars could last the day...so suck it and see... BTW.. the light switches off rather than slowly dimming when the batteries go.

And yes, its a bugger putting the bezel back on after disassembling it..
    Last edited by johnohuk; 05-11-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Enlightened

Just a quick update, I'm sort of happy with this light as my primary torch, its a bit floody, I can't switch it on/off with Mitts on but heh its summer now so can find the switch with regular 3mm gloves.. in my last two dives in crap vis its been perfect..I'm running it with 2 xtar 2600mAh batteries which gives approx 52mins total runtime which wasn't quite long enough, two dives at 48mins each. It just went off towards the end of the last dive..just went back to the single XML chinese torch instead... Looks like i'm going to have to buy some more powerful batteries... Reflector is obviously still in...

Beamshot in the pool...

Not quite a beam shot in low viz.. but u get the idea.. quite a spread..

Hi Guys!

It took a while to edit my videos from my dives in Curaçao. My girlfriend had never dove at night... so she was afraid ... and we manage to do only one night dive in the whole trip, so I had to keep checking for her all the time, and couldn't focus on filming properly. But I could test my dual modified (reflectors removed) chinese Lm4000 lights, on my PVC setup. You can see it in action in the video below, more or less in the middle of it. The video is about all the dives, but there's a night portion in the middle of it.

As I coudn't focus primarily on filming, and I had to keep moving, not staying still, backscatter was constant, not visible only when I was close to subjects.

But the lights are awesome! No focus points, wide, even beams, that light the scene evenly. Depending on the distance to the subjects, it looked light day!

If I could do more night dives, I would adjust better the angle of the lights and possibly lenghten the pvc arms, so the lights could be farther apart, to try to reduce backscatter!

But they were reallly bright and even, and I think it was worth the modification!

My problem was battery time. I couldn't find good batteries, I had to borrow some from differente people, and the ones I bought on ebay, never arrived so far (More than 90 days). So in one light, at 30 mins of dive, it started to flicker (it's in the video, you can see it happening!), so I reduced power and only when something interesting appeared I would increase their power to 100%. By doing this I saved battery time and they lasted till the end of the dive, but I'm sure that with a good set of batteries, at least 40-50 mins of full power is possible.

The video has copyrighted music, so It won't work on tablets and mobiles, probably only on pcs, and has some youtube ads in the beginning...

Check for yourself in the video! I think you'll like!!

Cheers

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...&v=u5qhJLQYAY4

I have been reading up on options to modify a CCL for a canister lighthead.

As I understand.. this cap will not thread onto the threaded head.

Could you just cut a few inches out of the center of the body tube and then use a thin metal sleeve & JB Weld to just shorten the battery tube, leaving both threaded ends intact?

Also, anyone have an educated estimate of how many Lm this light actually produces? It seems these are reated way too high.

There are several ways to 'cut down' the tube. The most common is to just cut off the end that screws into the head, then glue the head to the shortened tube. The most elegant I've seen is to cut the tube, bore one side out and turn down the other, so they slide together with a lap joint. Then glue them. Your method would work too, though it's a bit less pretty if the sleeve is on the outside, and takes some space if on the inside. If it meets your design goals and skillset, any of these methods would work equally well.

Three XM-Ls could be creating as much as 3000 lm. With reflector and lens efficiency, you'd be lucky to get 2500 OTF. However that would require dumping around 20W of heat power into the heatsink, even if the driver is 100% efficient. I haven't had a good look at how the pill mates to the head and/or body, but from the pics I'd guess it couldn't maintain a safe temperature differential at that flux, meaning you couldn't sustain that kind of light output for long without cooking your LEDs, even if using it in water.

I'd guess sustainable is somewhere between 1000 and 2000 lm at the emitter, depending on several factors including:
    -how well does the pill mate to the head/body
    -geometry of the pill
    -how well are the stars mounted to the pill
    -how efficient is the driver

If it's built (or re-built) well enough, 3000 lm is achievable, though it would heat up rapidly if not in water.

If anyone has measured the drive current, that would give a much more definitive answer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast