Interest Thread - UCL Glass Lens for Streamlight SL-20, SL-20X, SL-35, SL-35X

County

Newly Enlightened
Howdy- I know there are some other die-hards out there like myself that like these classic incan lights or are running LED drop-ins in them. FlashlightLens.com previously offered a shock-isolated 55mm UCL lens for the subject flashlight models. It was a definite improvement over the stock lexan lens for both light transmission and heat resistance. Even the stock SL-35X bulb will melt the lexan lens slightly. A number of us are running JS' SL-60 kit with WA-1160 which is even hotter. BTW - the newer ("grey" box) SL bulbs with smooth mirror reflector are a big improvement in throw over the previous generation. In fact, I am hard pressed to see any difference between my SL-60 kit and the new smooth mirror SL-35X bulb!

So - I've corresponded with Chris from FlashlightLens.com and he mentioned that I've been the only one to inquire about the UCL 55mm lens for SL in the ~12 months since it was discontinued. He said he'd consider another run if there's enough interest. Hence - this thread. I'm assuming the price point to be similar to the previous $8.50. If you're interested, would you reply with quantity you'd be willing to buy?

This is not a pre-order, not a commitment to buy, I am not proposing a group-buy, I am not affiliated with FlashlightLens.com, I get no benefit out of this other than perhaps a reinstatement of a product I really like and would like others to enjoy! I am merely wanting to show a MFR the interest level.

If interested please reply with a quantity and I will track/tally the responses/counts.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

County

Newly Enlightened
Bump! I know there has to be others out there running these old classic lights, with an interest in UCL lenses. . hoping to hear from ya!

BU2(SCW)

Newly Enlightened
I would be in for about 4 of them. I have looked at their website after acquiring 4 SL20's and have not been able to find them. I know a lot of people who love their SL20's and if they knew of these might buy a few. I really liked the idea of the rubber around the lens for a work light. I would even like to have a few spares for when I break one.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also bought in the past a shock-isolated 55mm UCL lens from FlashlightLens.com to put in my SL20X to handle the heat of JS' SL-60 kit. I am still running this setup now. I also still utilize several of these lights and would be in for 3 or 4 more shock-isolated 55mm UCL lens!
About a year ago I actually went to FlashlightLens.com looking to buy another one of these lens and was dismayed to find they no longer sold them.

Last edited:

County

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad to see the interest, thanks for the replies, guys! I will point Chris to this thread. Looks like we have a total of 18-20 so far.

County

Newly Enlightened
I need 4 of them.
any update?

I am glad this interest is not dead! It was appearing like a re-run of these was unlikely given the low volume. From what I understand, it was the custom manufacture of the special shock-isolating gasket that made it hard to justify a small-run of these lenses. HOWEVER, I got an email from Chris at FlashlightLens.com on 4/6/14 stating he has some 55mm UCL lenses in the works (sans shock-isolating gaskets, I'm presuming). He suggested periodically checking the website for them. I just emailed him asking for an approximate ETA of those lenses. . will share his response here if I hear back from him. Otherwise, I'm checking the website often, and will post again when they show up.

My personal opinion is that the shock-isolating gasket caused fitment issues, even when the stock bezel o-ring was removed. I have been running my 55mm UCLs without the shock isolating gasket, using the stock o-rings, and the rig is still water-resistant.. I've faucet-tested it! Perhaps there is more risk of breakage, but frankly that's a risk I'm willing to take in order to have a better fit.

County

Newly Enlightened
Chris' reply was "should be any day now", so the best advice is to keep checking the website, I will certainly post here when I see them pop up.

County

Newly Enlightened
THEY'RE HERE!! I *think* it's ok for me to post the direct link since I'm not a dealer nor am I affiliated with FlashlightLens. http://www.flashlightlens.com/index...ucl_lens&sid=1w91zz5n0wg69ud4y550n8210s213uz3

Reminder this is the glass only, shock isolating gasket not included. . but as I noted previously, I wasn't a fan of that gasket myself, and in my opinion it's not needed.

I'm going to PM the other folks that had expressed an interest since the thread is rather old.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
County,
Thank you for the PM and for doing the leg work to get this size back in stock again. I especially like them for the high heat from the incan bulbs. I am still using mine (with the gasket) with the SL-60 kit. I can't believe I haven't dropped it and cracked it yet but is just a matter of time.
I will be ordering several more.

Last edited:

County

Newly Enlightened
County,
Thank you for the PM and for doing the leg work to get this size back in stock again. I especially like them for the high heat from the incan bulbs. I am still using mine (with the gasket) with the SL-60 kit. I can't believe I haven't dropped it and cracked it yet but is just a matter of time.
I will be ordering several more.

No problem! Am so glad this size is available again! Enjoy.

Mike