Dynamo Tail light help

rjtedge

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm working on a tail light that is powered through a dynamo hub and connected via an edelux (http://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/Edelux.html). The edelux limits the voltage to the tail light to 9V but I am unsure if it is rectified to DC or not. I'm also trying to set up my light with a basic supercap to have a standlight (dosn't need to last too long).

I'm really struggling to come up with a design and make sure my LED doesn't fry - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
traditionally, the headlight just passed the dynamo voltage along to the taillight, so AC was the standard. I would expect the Edelux to do the same. You could use a multi-meter to confirm this, though.

There have been various threads on the design of standlights in the last 5(?) years or so. A search for "standlight" should pull them up and provide some ideas for your design.

As far as frying the LED, it should be fine as long as it can handle 0.5A. The bigger concern is probably keeping the reverse voltage to a safe level.