Latest build

Codiak

Enlightened
I dived with my new canister this weekend and had a blast.
The lake I live at is man-made 375 acre almost mud pit with visibility of 10 feet on a great day... it was only 3 feet this weekend, thermal at 23feet.

canister.jpg

The new build stats:
mt-g2 from Cutter
b2flex driver from taskled
Mag head with window and orings from tlslights
prolonged piezo switch
14.8v Li-Poly

Lenses are swapable:
50mm Fresnel from jspeybro
27mm Aspheric from AHorton
44mm Aspheric from Aliexpress

I chose to dive with the 50mm Fresnel and couldn't have been happier.
I've attached some beam shots for your viewing pleasure.
Light is 10 feet from wall with camera 5 feet @ 1/40 / f4.0

anigif-1.gif

I defocused the Fresnel slightly on a fixed mount the aspherics are adjustable and thus focused a bit better

(I'll update with Lux readings and add other photos over the coming days.)

I wanted to say a few words about the 50mm Fresnel for mag modders.
This lense is a piece of cake when using mag D heads coupled with tlslights' window lens and o-ring set.
Once you trim 1.8mm off the head to account for the thicker glass the fresnel fits perfectly snug on the sloped ledge under the window... no muss, no fuss instant lense holder.

The results speak for themselves. Unfortunately I have got a bunch of extra 44mm aspheric lenses now... (anyone interested?)

WRT Ahorton's aspheric, it's still tops in my book. As shown above the MT-G2 it creates a strong wide beam with a shorter focal length and at 27mm diameter vs 50mm much more compact lights are possible!
It's a clear winner for the XM-L.... in fact the Fresnel is too tight imho... never thought I'd say that for a led dive light... too tight...*cough*
Below is my XM-L with the Ahorton Aspheric for reference.

xml-1.jpg

jspeybro carries two other diameter of fresnel lenses and I'll try to rig a mount for further comparisons.

All in all a fun worth while build. Now if my new parts would arrive I can work on a more polished version... think copper core heat sync and over driven to 5 amps

Last edited:

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
Looks really interesting, what's the MTG2 like then? Does it seem like it has double an XMLs worth of light?

Codiak

Enlightened
Looks really interesting, what's the MTG2 like then? Does it seem like it has double an XMLs worth of light?
The MTG2 looks huge on the star, but is easy enough to drive with the b3flex from taskled.
I fried another SST90 at the start of the build, had the MTG2 sitting around and decided to give it a go.

as for comparison with the XM-L... well you can judge for yourself.

mtvsxml.gif

I'm so pleased with the MTG2 that I'm going to stop attempting sst90 lights.
For the cost of the SST90 I can get the MTG2 + driver.