Inexpensive 123's - any real differences?

HesNot

Enlightened
Inexpensive 123\'s - any real differences?

Now that I've managed to acquire a few 123 powered lights it's time to figure out how to power them (without breaking the bank at Walmart/Target prices).

Batterystation and ARC both have 123s at $1 each and Surefire has their $1.25 cells.

Are there any sources I'm missing? Are there any real differences between them?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Re: Inexpensive 123\'s - any real differences?

HesNot,
These are the best prices that I know of.
The Surefire batteries have tested out a little better, but in use I can't tell a difference.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd trust the SureFire batteries before I trust some made by a company I've never heard of before. Besides, I'd rather give my money to SureFire here in the U.S.A. as opposed to another company in Asia.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened

The Surefires do have a little more capacity and are optimized for high drain applications. But then you pay a little more, so it kinda equals out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess a real good shootout would have to be the SureFire 123's against Duracell, Energizer, and other expensive 123's. I doubt they (the expensive ones) are anywhere near the runtime/output per dollar of the cheap ones.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened

Big_Ed,

I would have to side on you when it comes to where the dollar goes when buying SF123s compared to a Chineese battery. In this day and age the United States outsources way too much manufacturing to other countries. This is nothing against the quality of Chinese or other foreign products, but I think our economy is on its way to disaster at the rate things are going.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened

I thought Surefire batts were made in Japan and finished in the US?

B@rt

Flashaholic

Hmm, the SF batts have "made in the USA" printed on them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
sfsf2-cb.jpg

Mark_Larson

Enlightened

Bart, as i understand, the content requirement for the "Made in USA" is quite small, and just finishing the product here is enough to get approved for the label.

Of course, i could be wrong... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

SF123A batteries are manufactured in the USA.
I don't know whether the raw materials are sourced within the USA though.

Floating Spots

Enlightened

Actually, I did some research as reported in another thread, and I have my own personal opinions on who manufactures them. I personally believe that Panasonic manufactures them. Other than Duracell, Panasonic has the only lithium manufacturing plant in the US that I discovered. They specialize in OEM and industrial labeled batteries. I take that as they will manufacturer you batteries with your name on it.

So, if someone does a shootout, please add some Panasonics to confirm or deny my suspicions.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened

Somehow I remember the SF123s being Panasonic cells as well, probably from reading it on another thread.

I have gone through only two sets of 123s in my E2e, the first was the original SF123 cells it came with, the second was a couple of Yuntong cells from Arc. The SF123s seemed to have a flatter discharge curve...I might have to confirm/deny this in some tests.

HesNot

Enlightened

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like a box of SF 123s is going to be a stocking stuffer suggestion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif