L4 - hot or not hot?

HesNot

Enlightened
I've been bitten. Since I have an ARC LS I think that a KL1 for my E2e body may be somewhat redundant, but an KL4 is another story! However, I read conflicting reports about how hot the 5w actually gets when in the 2x123 configuration on the E2e/L4 bodies (i.e. not the TW4).

As a point of reference, I find that my ARC LSH-P will get pretty warm to hot with the 123 tailpiece, not so hot that I can't hold it but still pretty toasty. How does the KL4 compare?

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
its untouchable if you leave it on for more than 10 mins or so. That's about how hot it gets. Way hotter than the ARC LSH-P.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interestingly, it gets untouchably hot only if you don't touch it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Holding it in the hand cools it.

I have picked up an L4 that was too hot to hold for more than 2 seconds. So I held it for that long and set it it down for my hands to recover. Then I did it again, and again, and again. Each time I was able to hold it a little longer until finally, after much fondling, it was only very warm. Perfect for a wintry day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Brock

Flashaholic
In my runtime test I got just under 140 (at the head) for a max, and that was after about 10 min, then it actually started to cool down again. The mid part of the body hit about 120 max, but that was later in the run. I could hold it, but I couldn't hold it by the head for too long.

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
can we stay overkill Mr. Ted bear? ha

yes the L4 is a good heater in the winter time! your hand will never feel cold if you have it on I tell ya.

Frangible

Enlightened
It can get very hot, particularily around the head. It wouldn't be very comfortable to use for extended periods of time. (I've tried to read with it)