Do Li-Ion Cells Lose Their Charge As Fast As NiMH?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if Li-Ion cells lose their charge as fast as NiMH cells or even NiCD's? Are they any better at holding their charge? Also, are they better suited for heavy use and are they okay for lights that sit around?

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Li-Ion is a far superior to Nicad/Nimh in terms of self discharge. Nicad/Nimh lose 1 to 2% per day; after 3 months of just sitting, they are dead. Li-Ion lose 4 to 5% the first month of storage and 1 to 2% thereafter. Theorectical worse case for Li-Ion would 27% percent loss after one year, or to turn it around, 73% capacity remaining.

I've been playing around with Li-Ion quite a bit lately. And somtime around the end of the year I plan to toss a fully charged Li-Ion battery pack or two into the trunk of my car and let them sit for a full year. Want to do my own test.

Downside to Li-Ion: They can't deliver as much peak current as Nicad/Nimh. Li-Ion is O.K. for flashlight bulbs, up to a few amps of current. If your are running a heavy load such as an electric RC car or plane and need a 30 to 40amp discharge rate, Nicad is still your best choice.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, i heard there are certain lifetime of usefulness of the li-ion, about 5 years. after that time, it will still works, just not much charge anymore.