Help, not sure where else to ask

ucansleepwhenurdead

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook. It has DRL's using the low beam, and has seperate turn signals in the bumper. What I'm interested in doing is having the DRL's in the low beam and also LED DRL's in the bumper, but still keeping the turn signal function. I know this can be acheived using switchback led's, but I dont want to have to turn the lights on. I did some searching and found the DRL-1 module would work, in that it turns regular turn signals into drl's and keeps trun signal function, but I'm not sure it would work with switchback leds. Not sure if anyone could help me with this, or had any other ideas....... just thought i would ask. Thanks

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
switchback led's
By "switchback LEDs", do you mean products like the ones sold on iJDMTOY.com?

from iJDMTOYS.com
Switchback LED lights are also known as dual-color LED which are dual-function LED bulbs or LED strips that stay lit as Xenon White as parking/position light mode and flash Amber when the turn signals are used. These are specifically designed for cars use for front turn signal lights or daytime running lights.

This kind of switchback LED will give you a nice HID-matching look when operating as the parking lights and still stay legal by flashing Amber when the turn signals are used!

If so, those are unsafe, ineffective, and illegal, and should not be installed. If they are installed, remove them.

ucansleepwhenurdead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your quick response. No I dont kave any installed. What I am asking is, what could i do to achieve the look I am going for, but using the stock housing with little to no modification. A plug-n-play type application if you would. If this isnt feesible, I'm not above doing the modifications. I was just wondering if there were any simple solutions out there. My above post was just an idea. I have done some research but haven't been able to come up with anything.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Do not use "LED bulbs" of any kind ("switchback" or otherwise) -- none of them are safe; all of them will ruin the ability of your car's safety lights to convey their important message. Installing the DRL-1 type of module would do what you want (though I can't figure out why you want two pairs of DRLs).

As you think about this idea of yours, please remember two things:

1. The one and only task of your car's lighting system is to preserve your life and your car. They aren't there to look pretty. They're safety devices, not fabulous fashion accessories.

2. As you drive down the road, almost nobody cares what your car's lights look like. Of those few who do care, about one half of one percent of them aren't cops.

ucansleepwhenurdead

Newly Enlightened
Installing the DRL-1 type of module would do what you want (though I can't figure out why you want two pairs of DRLs).

Thank you. But I was looking for it to be a white DRL, not amber. Thus, without some sort of modification, I dont think this will give me what I'm looking for. And as far as the two sets, I beleive you can never be too careful. It's my wife and children traveling around in this car, not me.

They aren't there to look pretty. They're safety devices, not fabulous fashion accessories.

I have to disagree with you, and I would say most car manufacturers do as well, but to each his own. I feel you can have form as well as function.

So, thank you for your reply, but as for both of the replies I have gotten, I feel like neither want to actually help (which is why I came here), but to only bust out laws and regs, and how you feel on the matter. I just proposed and idea....a thought....not what I was actually going to do. I came here because I felt someone could maybe point me in the right direction or give me some ideas......

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Thank you. But I was looking for it to be a white DRL

Because why?

And as far as the two sets, I beleive you can never be too careful.

Caution is good, but you are making an error in thinking you're safer to have two pairs (or three pairs, or four pairs, or...more than one pair) of DRLs. You aren't. If you want to improve the DRLs' functionality, move the DRL function to the turn signals or move the DRL function to a pair of reputable-brand -- which means Hella or Philips, at this point -- retrofit DRL units. Either of those solutions is more effective DRLs than low beams are. But don't add extra pairs.

I feel you can have form as well as function.

Yes, but not by putting improper light sources in your lamps or otherwise modifying them in unsafe ways. The form-plus-function equation happens at the design phase, not in the parked-in-the-driveway phase.

for both of the replies I have gotten, I feel like neither want to actually help

You have been given correct, accurate, factual and helpful guidance. If you don't like the correct answer to the question, that's unfortunate, but that would not be something anyone else can help you with.