Fenix PD35 or TK35

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
So I'm looking for a general use compact but bright light. I've recently gotten a TK75 (and the flashlight bug!) but I'm looking to replace my Surefire bedside light with something a bit more powerfull... Man that TK75 spoils a person!

I've already got 18650 batteries and a nitecore i4 charger so I want to stay with the 18650's.

The flashlight is mostly for "bumps in the night" and to see what the dogs are yelling at, throwing in the motorcycle for trips, things like that... I don't need a 2 mile throw just a good multi purpose light. I was thinking the TK35, but then I see the PD35 has about the same features in a one cell light... with not a whole lot of difference in price... hmmm, interesting... or am I missing something here?

So what do you think, and why?

Poppy

Flashaholic
According to Fenix, the TK throws 340 meters, the PD 180 meters...both more than enough I think.. that is a big difference though..

Well, yeah, but that's ANSI lumens 0.25 lumens. IMO 0.25 lumens isn't enough. The numbers I posted (based on their reported cd) should render 1.0 lumens.

braddy

Enlightened
The flashlight is mostly for "bumps in the night" and to see what the dogs are yelling at, throwing in the motorcycle for trips, things like that... I don't need a 2 mile throw just a good multi purpose light. I was thinking the TK35, but then I see the PD35 has about the same features in a one cell light... with not a whole lot of difference in price... hmmm, interesting... or am I missing something here?

This German review of the PD35 and comparison beam shots should help you decide.
http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/fenix/27328-fenix-pd35-vorstellung-vergleichbeamshots.html

4.0pd350vl8r.jpg

buds224

Enlightened
That compactness is nice.. how do you like your PD35?
Love it. Very easy to EDC so it's always with me. Just be sure to go with very good quality batteries. I have nitecore 18650s and they perform very well under max load from the light.

Post#8 is a very good rendition of what to expect. Nice photo!

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
Ahh.. very good... I've a set of protected Tennergys, and a set of Panasonic protected's I use in my TK75.. I'll probably get a couple more if I get this light though..

The beam shots in #8 are pretty impressive! And I do like the size.

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
HA! If were only that easy!! Good review and thanks for the link.. The TK seems to be much brighter, but also much larger. The PD seems to have a smoother light, quite a bit smaller, one cell which is nice... and I do think I'm beginning to lean towards the PD35. I like the size a LOT and if I need the big power I always have the TK75 here if I need it...:D

Poppy

Flashaholic
Well, yeah, but that's ANSI lumens 0.25 lumens. IMO 0.25 lumens isn't enough. The numbers I posted (based on their reported cd) should render 1.0 lumens.

Whoa... what does that even mean?? you lost me on that one...:huh:

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. AND I said lumens, when I should have said lux.

When you shine a light at an object, the amount of light that reaches the object decreases geometrically with distance. When manufacturers report the throw distance of their lights, they report the maximum distance the light will increase the target with only 0.25 lux. That is NOT much light. If you cut the distance in half, that quadruples the lux to 1.0 lux (which still isn't a whole lot of light) if you want to see a dark image on a dark background, you might want 5.0 lux.

With all that said, the difference in throw of the two lights is significant.

In the threads linked above, where they show the difference between the two lights' beams, show that the PD35 is a nice light, and that the beam of the TK35 is more focused. Certainly one could have backed down the intensity of the TK35 to perhaps 350 lumens, and the difference would not have been as great. BUT if there was a beam shot at a target that was 100 yards away, THEN you would see hardly any illumination of the target with the PD35, but the TK would light it up nicely.

What it all comes down to is, what do you see yourself using the light for, and then choosing the one that you are more comfortable with.

I don't have the PD35, but I do have a number of lights in its class. I use them much more than my TK35, but most of my flashlight usage is indoors, or walking the dog on the sidewalk. The TK35 can fit in the back pocket of your jeans, lens up, but otherwise would have to be carried in a holster. I guess that would be said for the PD35 too.

buds224

Enlightened
+1 on the above post. I have a TA21 from Fenix that is capable of 225lumens max, but will still out throw my PD35. Very tunneled vision, but great for spotting objects from long distances.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the Sunwayman T45C.

I own the TK35 for a few years now and it has never let me down. But based on the modern lights coming out now, it is a dinosaur.

PD35 is a good light, unfortunately, it came out too late as there are many offerings out there that beat this in every possible way.

The good thing about these Fenix lights are their durability. I can vouch for that being a Fenix owner for several years now.

Theron

Newly Enlightened
Which lights in the same class outperform the PD35 in every way?

Try the Sunwayman T45C.

I own the TK35 for a few years now and it has never let me down. But based on the modern lights coming out now, it is a dinosaur.

PD35 is a good light, unfortunately, it came out too late as there are many offerings out there that beat this in every possible way.

The good thing about these Fenix lights are their durability. I can vouch for that being a Fenix owner for several years now.