PRG Foton high CRI

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
PRG Foton boasts TruColor light

The new PRG TruColor Foton uses remote phosphor technology to provide more accurate colour than LED lights. The small, lightweight variable-beam light is also claimed to be powerful, inexpensive and water resistant.

It is the first portable broadcast lamp to use remote phosphor, where an internal light source strikes a crystal impregnated with rare earth elements that then glows brightly. The large surface of the emitter allows for a precise mix of the phosphorescent material for accurate colours across the visible spectrum.

This results in a colour rendering index of more than 95, and "virtually eliminates the challenges of lighting with the discontinuous spectrum inherent in most LED lighting sources."

The remote phosphor technology should generate natural-looking light, requiring no colour correction (compared to the green spike of inexpensive LEDs), and correlating perfectly with professional light and colour meters. It is dimmable from 0% to 100% with negligible colour shift. The graph above shows the spectrum correlating to 3000K, but a "daylight" version is also available (with slightly lower CRI).

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
No offence, but that post looks like a marketing pitch to me, do you have any connection to the company Anders?

I would rather see a high-CRI 5000k light, lets see where this tech goes, likewise efficiency -only 33.3 lm/w?

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Inversely, wouldn't you say it's lacking in the blue end of the spectrum?
No, it is just that the graph is not really colored properly (this is very common mistake in spectral graph illustrations, just so you are aware), that 450nm region should be very blue, not green shaded. This is not really a 'mistake', since the graph is technically still properly labeled, it is just they did not properly superimpose the spectrum colors onto the graph, it is really a superficial illustration error

No offence, but that post looks like a marketing pitch to me
A lot of information that is perpetuated about new lighting technologies is indeed really a marketing pitch. You are right to be suspect.

Do I think this new LED is really exactly like halogen? No, I highly doubt it. But the color rendering should be just fine for most common filming purposes, and the fact that it is LED confers some additional advantages. Usually it is problematic for a lower light output halogen bulb to actually put out a 3000K spectrum. This LED light should also handle rough treatment better, and of course no need to keep replacing expensive specialty bulbs after they burn out.
One other thing to mention, because of all that red phosphor, which we can see in the graph, if anyone was thinking in terms of "efficiency",this LED lamp probably has a much lower lumen/watt rating than common LEDs. Still has a lower power draw than the equivalent halogen lamp, of course.

with just a blue frequency LED stimulating phosphor, I think this is as good as it gets

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast

A lot of information that is perpetuated about new lighting technologies is indeed really a marketing pitch. You are right to be suspect.

A very astute observation. CPF is essentially a conglomeration of personal ownership blogs, suggestions by users (hoping to better the lighting world), and subtle backdoor manufacturer promotions (which can benefit us users). CPF then sells advertising, hoping the community generated content is interesting and balanced. With all sides of any issue represented, you have a true forum, in the Roman sense. With mod censorship of ideas that don't mesh with the mods' world view, unfortunately and inevititably, things can dangerously degrade into the "mod-blog" (far less worth reading and ad sales drop, and unexpected Truths quashed, unchallenged).

Anders is likely just a skeptic and cynic-on the lookout for led alternatives. This is actually healthy. Though being one myself, I will ask Anders directly, once and for all: "Do you have any financial interest whatsoever in preserving the yellowish, tiresome incan technology?" Like, do you work at, own, or have family that sells decorative lighting? Do you realize that the government is not tracking us via the led chip? (Via the controllers, maybe.)

They don't say what they are using for the lighting source. We assume blue led.

Last edited: