12 volt question

T154

Newly Enlightened
I'm installing a line of outdoor low voltage lighting using a 600 watt (300/300) transformer and a 12 volt line. Part of my line goes to two pillars I've built in which I'd like to install a nice pillar light. I can't find a "low voltage" pillar light I like. Can I use a regular 120 volt light fixture with a low wattage bulb? It seems that the selection of post lights in the 120 volt range are a lot nicer. With my two pillar lights and the six other lights installed on that line, I'm well below the 300 allowable watts. Thanks in advance.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I can't think of any reason to avoid using a low voltage light in a standard post light enclosure.

Some things to consider:
1. Voltage drop induced by line length.
2. Whether you can find a low voltage bulb base that fits the 120V bulb socket.
3. If you can't find a compatible bulb, are you comfortable and able to change the bulb socket?

broadgage

Enlightened
Should be fine, 12 volt lamps with standard bases are available from marine and RV suppliers.
Remember that the lamp holder may only be designed for 2 or 3 amps, which limits the wattage of 12 volt lamp to about 24 or 36 watts.
If the lamp holder is designed for 5 amps, then a 12 volt lamp up to 60 watts could be used.

12 volt CFLs are available, but some are DC only and wont work from a 12 volt AC supply derived from line power via a transformer.