How would you make this host screem?

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get mods done once in awhile and about 50% of me wants to get something done with this host;

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?361680-(2)-Full-Copper-Ultra-Cool-6P-By-Fivemega

Pure heat sinking copper body, head, and tail!! I think it's begging to be put to the extreme test. I'm not really asking for recommendations but I was just curious about opinions, if you were given this host for free, and told that for free you can have any mod guy do whatever you wanted to it, which mod guy would you choose and what would you have done to it?

Vinh told me he can put an MTG2 P60 drop in in it for me and it'd pack about 2,000 lumens. I'd probably want 4 modes, 200, 500, 1000, and 2000 lumens

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yep, vinhnguyen54 MT-G2 - :twothumbs

And 200 to 2000 lumens ... but no "firefly" mode ?!? :devil:

Last edited:

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'm not big of firefly modes, Zebralight cracks me up with some of their settings 10, 3, .8, .2 LOL

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a plan. Vinh is a pleasure to deal with and this will take advantage of the host. Should be one hot and heavy momma. Please keep us informed of progress and results.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will do however I am just a maybe on this project, I'm juggling 3 different ideas and not sure which one i'll go with, but it sure is fun to have options!! I suppose that 'Fun' is the whole point of this forum.

So I suppose my 1st post is incorrect there's not 50% of me that wants to do this but rather 33% of me lol

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way I am making this host scream is:

First. Just My humble opinion. Get the tube for thermal management and combine with one of Donn's solid copper mule sinks.
Don't worry about copper head and tail, spend that money on (almost) 2 more copper tubes.
Get copper head and tail for looks.

With the copper mule sink jammed into the copper tube, you now have fantastic thermal management.

Furthest:
FM V1 Full Copper.
Nailbender Triple Nichia 4 Amp on Donn's copper mule sink with Carclo Optics.
With Nichia's "scream" is hard to achieve, but at 4 Amps it's bright, and with all that copper it can keep putting out 4 Amps.

Middle. FM V3 / KL3 Bezel / FM Hepta tail. Empty host, waiting to scream.

Closest. FM V3 / Z32 Bezel / FM Tetra tail
I made dropin, Donn's copper mule sink, XML2 LED, 3Amp 105C driver, Cree XML10-R reflector. Need larger bezel than Z44 to fit reflector as the mule sink sits the LED very high. (just enough room for Carclo triple optics with Z44 Bezel)
I got a Mailbender MCE 2.8A P60 dropin years ago. Good tech for the time, so this 3A dropin is only marginally more impressive on paper.
In use, the new copper based combo performs better I think letting the light sit compared to the old brass pill / al 6P body combo handheld.
So if you do handhold the copper light....

Simple screamer is copper mule sink / copper tube / direct drive XML2.
Should be able to get 5A or more and hand held it will handle the heat.

MTG2 not good option IMHO. Why? 6V LED. In an 186650 host only option will be 2 x 18350 cells.
Far more efficient to use XML LED requiring 1 x 18650 - more than double the watt hours in 1 x 18650 compared to 2 x 18350.
MTG2 for 2 or 3 x 18650.

0A6Q2697_zps396a9079.jpg

Last edited:

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for letting me know that MTG2 is a poor efficiency choice for the battery capacity.

Just to be clear, I CAN fit Don's copper mule sink into the copper head right? (Just expensive though). Because when I look at your side by side pictures I'm blown away at how much better looking it is with the copper tail & head

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately i didn't recieve an answer to my post I asked fivemega what the combined weight is of the body, head & tail

Now Don does list the weight of his copper mule sink - 60.8 grams

Last edited:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately i didn't recieve an answer to my post I asked fivemega what the combined weight is of the body, head & tail

Now Don does list the weight of his copper mule sink - 60.8 grams

That full copper light above (with copper mule sink) and 18650 is 478grams.
That's V1. V2 and V3 tubes are heavier.

Compared to my Z2 with EDC+ triple dropin and 18650 - 167 grams

Closest light in pic - 400grams (also has copper mule sink and 18650)

Last edited: