Milkyspit and richpalm modfest! (with photos)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last weekend fellow NJ flashaholic richpalm came to spend an afternoon (and into the evening) at Milky Labs, where we proceeded to have a modfest! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This post is my lame attempt to pretend that I've captured the spirit of the event with just a couple photos. But still, here we go, first with a look at the work area...

image-cpf-modfest-richpalm-far.jpg

There was some good karma that day, and we proceeded to work through a number of lights. First we replaced the emitters on a pair of EL Blaster VI with V2T. Then Rich opened his Vector banana spotlight, and we examined the innards, realizing we could cannibalize the internals of a Vector Sport light to convert the banana to a 12V system and 2 million candlepower. (A later modfest will replace the map light with a Luxeon mod and upgrade the switching to some nice rockers that KartRacer31 showed us at PF2.) Following this, we upgraded a Blaster Jr. to Luxeon III TV1K emitter (nice warm white beam, terrific focused hotspot, and much brighter!), then Rich replaced the emitter in an Arc-LS with a Q3J, and last but not least, he replaced the emitter in a McLux head with another Q3J. We also dismantled an Energizer 2 LED folding lantern, replacing the LEDs with a pair of Nichia Rank S and preparing the thing for a "Milky" regulation circuit. Maybe I missed something, but I know we did at least that much! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Here's a closer look, featuring a couple McLux...

image-cpf-modfest-richpalm-near.jpg

Of course, once it got dark we wandered outside to, er, test all the handiwork. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A good time was had by all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Wow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

How much did all those Luxeons cost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Oh, and care to send a few of the ones you replaced my way? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark, well, most of the Luxeons were Rich's, so they didn't cost me very much at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wits' End, thinkin' about it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way to show off your G4 Cube /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And is that a metcal I see over there? Very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now, more pictures of the results!

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
A catalog or magazine makes a great place to solder... I would take a pic of my workspace here, but it's top secret /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Er, Beretta was invited, but he had chores to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

And it was pretty spur of the moment, something that just sort of developed in a series of PM's between richpalm and me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

There WILL be a modfest 2! You are hereby invited, Ufo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll keep you posted on the date.

Anyone else who wants to venture to the "outback" of New Jersey (seriously!), let me know and perhaps you could join us.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, and the catalog solder surface was Rich's idea, one of his many secretive tricks of the trade, heh heh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Naw. You didn't miss the photos of the finished products, Tom. But since Rich took most of the finished products home with him, I'm going to have to get him back here for the photo shoot.

Guess there will be a sequel to this little set of photos, stay tuned everybody...