Klarus        
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

  1. #1

    Default Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Has anyone measured the current and voltage out of the new-ish Velogical rim dyno yet? We could always hope that the reason they haven't got German certification yet is that they put out too much!

    Also, there is mention on Compass Bicycles' blog of new B&M IQ Premium and associated Edelux lights with a better reflector & newer LED. Any reviews?
    Last edited by wqlava1; 10-11-2013 at 02:22 AM.

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    963

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by wqlava1 View Post
    Also, there is mention on Compass Bicycles' blog of new B&M IQ Premium and associated Edelux lights with a better reflector & newer LED. Any reviews?
    Peter White gives us a sneak peak…
    http://peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* Steve K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Is the Velogical dynamo on the market yet? I've only seen a little bit of info about it. It appears to be a nice little unit, suitable for occasional use. Honestly, it does remind me of the Magnic dynamo a bit, in the sense that it is minimal. The advantage of the Velogical is that it doesn't cause arguments about eddy currents.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by wqlava1 View Post
    Has anyone measured the current and voltage out of the new-ish Velogical rim dyno yet? We could always hope that the reason they haven't got German certification yet is that they put out too much!

    Also, there is mention on Compass Bicycles' blog of new B&M IQ Premium and associated Edelux lights with a better reflector & newer LED. Any reviews?
    I have the Velogical on order from Germany and the Edelux II on order from Peter White. Will post about it when I get it set up and tested. The Dynamo does not meet German standards because the output is lower than standard because supposedly it is designed to run LEDs only, not halogens. That allows them to make it smaller, lighter and not cheaper however!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by wqlava1 View Post
    Has anyone measured the current and voltage out of the new-ish Velogical rim dyno yet? We could always hope that the reason they haven't got German certification yet is that they put out too much!
    Dynamos running off rim operate smoothly in fair weather but, as a rule, quit functioning when the rim is wet.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    I do not commute, only ride for pleasure or exercise so I do not often ride in rain and hardly ever ride in the rain at night. That is why I am interested in the rim dynamo for my situation. I am particularly interested in this one because it is the first on the market that is designed only to run LED lights. It has less output than others but enough to power an LED light without sapping any more pedaling energy than necessary. The other dynos available are sized for halogen lights and hence draw more pedaling input. Another advantage I see over hub units is that when you do not need it, it is not drawing any pedal energy at all. I know the best hub units only require a pedaling load equivalent to about 10 feet of elevation over a km, but on a 200 km ride that is 2000 foot extra hill climb for the day. That is significant to me.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
    Dynamos running off rim operate smoothly in fair weather but, as a rule, quit functioning when the rim is wet.
    I am just curious, have you experienced this personally with a unit? There are so few rim dynamos out there that I have never encountered anyone that has personally used one. (I know, maybe that is why there are none out there, but I am going to take the chance that this is the better mousetrap we are looking for!) Thanks, Don

  8. #8

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by dwmckee View Post
    I am just curious, have you experienced this personally with a unit? There are so few rim dynamos out there that I have never encountered anyone that has personally used one. (I know, maybe that is why there are none out there, but I am going to take the chance that this is the better mousetrap we are looking for!) Thanks, Don
    You can run off the rim any bottle dynamo with a sufficiently soft roller. The operation is smooth then, noiseless. However, for a reliability during rain you need a ribbed roller on a hard side pressing against a ribbed dynamo track on the tire. There had been some dynamos where you were supposed to take off the off the outer soft roller in the rain revealing the hard ribbed interior. There had been wire brush rollers for mounting in the rain/snow. Without a good track on the tire or brush you may be pretty much out of luck getting power out of a bottle dynamo in the rain.

  9. #9
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by dwmckee View Post
    I am just curious, have you experienced this personally with a unit? There are so few rim dynamos out there that I have never encountered anyone that has personally used one. (I know, maybe that is why there are none out there, but I am going to take the chance that this is the better mousetrap we are looking for!) Thanks, Don
    Long ago I used a Sanyo rim/tyre dynamo. I think I tried it on both rim and tyre to see which worked in the rain. Well, it didn't work at all in the rain...

    Edit: And then I returned it to the dealer...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Thanks guys. I guess we will see how this one goes. It is specifically designed as a rim dynamo and is very different than a bottle design. It also has a much lower rolling resistance due to the lower power need so it should be less likely to slip. I guess we will have to just give this new one an honest spin and see how it goes.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Just a quick update. I should be receiving everything this week (slow shipping from Germany) and probably will not have everything set up for few weeks. My brother in law is setting up some test instrumentation for me that we plan to run this through after Christmas, so I should be able to post both some riding results and numerical performance charts as well (assuming we get some decent riding weather here in Pittsburgh around then). I am very interested to see how this works out as well because at least for me this is a much better solution than either a hub unit or a bottle unit. We will see...

  12. #12
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by wqlava1 View Post
    Has anyone measured the current and voltage out of the new-ish Velogical rim dyno yet? We could always hope that the reason they haven't got German certification yet is that they put out too much!

    Also, there is mention on Compass Bicycles' blog of new B&M IQ Premium and associated Edelux lights with a better reflector & newer LED. Any reviews?
    The original Velogical dynamo didn't put out enough power for StVZO... There were tables on their site long ago, definitely already when this topic was started (but the information is in German )

    There are now several versions, but I have no idea whether they are worth it, well, actually, I would say no because sidewall dynamos are just too annoying. This one like sidewall dynamos running on tyres, suffers from slipping causing a change in light output, in this case if the wheel, well rim, is not perfectly true. What will happen with rain? I had an email exchange with a bike builder and based on that I made this page:

    http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tes.../index_en.html


    Then the Edelux II: I don't particularly like it, even more hotspots than the 'improved' Edelux from late 2009 onwards. Beam is wide, but you will only notice the positive effect of that in fairly sharp curves by being able to see the inside of the curve. But you don't need that to know that the road is curving, the outside curves as well

    And anyway, the beam is fairly weak at width, no wonder with the 2.4W limit in StVZO, so I don't consider this feature to be very useful.

    See my not-quite finished review here:

    http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tes.../index_en.html

    Then there is news about the Saferide 60: It uses neutral white LEDs now like the Saferide 80/LBL. I hope it will properly show up on new beamshots.

    I hope I can make the beam shots tonight of the following:

    - Edelux 2008 (just for reference, as I use a new camera now, the RX100, to make sure comparisons are accurate)
    - Edelux 2013 (with new reflector, I think it was introduced in 2009, it has matte sides, see also my page about the IQ reflector : http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tes.../index_en.html (my own pictures to be added of the Edeluxes that I have)
    - Edelux II
    - Saferide 60 neutral white
    - Saferide 80 running on dynamo via driver from a Herrmans H-diver that I took apart. This is actually my favourite (simple, non micro controller driven) dynamo lamp.


    Wouter
    Last edited by swhs; 12-16-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: rewording to clarify

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* Calina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Longueuil, Québec
    Posts
    948

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Does anybody has more feedback on the Velogical dynamo?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Calina View Post
    Does anybody has more feedback on the Velogical dynamo?
    Actually, I tested one (the Trekking model) today. Well, that's not true. I've been testing it for a few days, but today was 10 rainy, wet miles.

    It didn't slip.

    I should say that none of the dynamos I've tested have slipped in wet weather, so long as they're properly adjusted. Also, I'm not riding in a downpour, but a light to moderate rain. A downpour is likely going to knock out anything except a hub dyno.

    My impression is that the output from the Velogical is a little on the weak side, but that it works reasonably well with LED headlights.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* Steve K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    hi Andy,
    so how does it compare to a bottle dynamo in general? And who sells it here in the States?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Velogical rim dyno or IQ Premium/ Edelux II light seen yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    hi Andy,
    so how does it compare to a bottle dynamo in general? And who sells it here in the States?
    Comparing it to a Dymotec 6, it is quieter, causes less resistance, much smaller & lighter, but the very low speed performance isn't terrific. You need to be traveling at 6 MPH to get a good light. No flicker, but that is probably due to the electronics in the eDelux and Pixeo, which smooth the power a lot.

    I'll be doing a subjective review on my website very shortly, comparing hub, bottle, bb, and Velogical types.

    I got it from Velogical direct. I don't know about any US dealers as of now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •