A few ?? - the eventual Y and Z bin LEDs

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few questions concerning Y and Z bin LEDs, asking for hypothetical answers.

Going by mere speculation, and the current lumen spread, a Y bin would be roughly 250 - 300 lumens and a Z should be 300 - 350 lumens.

1. Do you believe that Y or even Z bin LEDs are possible?

2. If #1 is yes, do you believe they are in the works?

3. If #1 and #2 are yes, what is your guess on a time phrame of seeing these?

4. If #1 is NO, why do you feel they are not possible?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. 1 year

BTW, Remember that binning is based on specified test conditions. By changing the specified conditions, Y and Z may already exist. I am thinking here that if you take the best 5W available, and redefine the test conditions to Tj=(-80C) and current at 1.5A.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say they will get here eventually,
Think of it this way, N and P ranks were the deal in November last year, I had a BB500 N rank and it was bright for a LED (~22 lumens). 10 months later I have a BB500 R2H and it puts out around 55 lumens (I cheat and throw the Fraen LP optics in for a blinding light)
I want a WWAK ranked Luxeon III...I will wait for the next 2D build until next fall and hope to get at least a VWAK. A ZWAT 5 watter sure sounds entertaining

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say so too. Someone wrote a good explanation about how the L3 represents nearly the upper limit of what we'd have to deal with for heat dissipation in a portable LED source. This is because process improvements will yield higher internal quantum and extraction efficiencies. I think higher internal quantum efficiencies are where the most gains are to be had (QE = number of photons generated vs number of electrons flowing across the junction).