3XML6 - Homebuild pocket screamer

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I call it the 3XML6

I did good! I built this 3 years ago with triple SST50 and boom reflectors. It was a flood monster. I think my reflectors were actually SST90 versions....
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...n-Progress-Completed-with-6P-host!&highlight=

Anyway, decided to rebuild with triple XML and Cree 10 degree optics.
I used XML2 T45B1 80 CRI LEDS.Huge win was deciding to drill and tap heatsink so I could screw mount the stars. Takes a bit of time but easy steps, check as you go, finally assembly so much simpler. Using 3 mm screws the cutouts in the stars allow for a little wiggle room. I had to enlargen a few holes slightly to allow me to align LEDS. (First trial asssembly reflectors all met in the centre but the whole cluster of LEDs was off centre.
Great to be able to take time to carefully apply tiny amount of Arctic Silver 5, not having to race the clock regards epoxy setting.
Stress free knowing I can get the LEDs all aligned if I get it wrong, just loosen screws, adjust.
Obviously LED replacement in future will be simple. I'll probably swap 1 LED for a T63A tint, thinking that mix might be nice.
Beam is well aligned, so LED tints will all mix in one beam fine.
It's direct drive, 3 x IMR 16340 settle on about 3.2Amps after 30 seconds or so. 5 minutes later it's around 3.1Amp and starts to taper down to about 2 Amps over next 7 minutes.I think the almost regulated like first 5 minutes is cells sag with initial load but warm up, internal resistance lowers and result is almost flat run for first 5 minutes.

Beam is not as tight as I would like, but I had already tried these optics with XML so knew what to expect.
I'm a at a bit of a loss now, there is nothing to tidy,straighten,fix etc.
First final assembly looks like being pretty permanent.
I have noticed that the electrical connector I have on the bottom of the heatsink is a close physical match to a 105C driver so real easy option to add driver if I want.

LEDS screwed to heatsink - trial fitting
0A6Q2849_zps4ab25f46.jpg

6P body. 3rd cell sits where P60 dropin would normally be.
0A6Q2938_zps735da115.jpg

Light comes out the front when you turn it on. Lots of it.
0A6Q2942_zps47a36565.jpg

With big brother (gotta go back in and clean up those exposed wires on that one)
0A6Q2944_zps5014c178.jpg

Last edited:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
great work , Beam shots ?

Thanks. I should get to beam shots tonight. Want to do some good outdoor shots.

I like it too.
And thank you too. I plan to make more. Just a few refinements.

Luxury with these optics costing about a buck each...you can sacrifice a few for building use.
I'll also try this again, five years ago I risked messing up $60 worth of McR20 reflectors putting some glow powder in the centre. Turned out OK IMHO :)

_02_5263.jpg

_02_5258.jpg

Last edited: