• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Sale Closed. 2.7 Inch Copper Core Mag Heat Sink with Body Extension **PRICE REDUCED**

Bucket

Newly Enlightened
This sale closed. Due to lack of interest, I'm using it for my own build. If anyone decides they want one, PM me or reply to this thread. I will make another one.

One Maglite extension with very large heat sink with copper core. It is perfect for absorbing high amounts of heat.
​$65.00 Shipped (Paypal).

Please PM me with questions or post them here.

-Further machining to suit buyer is free. (Pedestal, wire holes, driver recess etc...)

-Heat sink weight: 238g. It will lose a small amount of that weight if further machining is required by the buyer.
-Heat sink length: Approx 2.7 inches.
-The heat sink contains a press fit copper core that is slightly larger than 14mm in diameter and extends the length of the heat sink.
-The heat sink itself is T6061 Aluminum machined for a sliding fit in the extension.
-The heat sink will be height adjustable via an angled set screw allowing best possible beam focus.
-When height is adjusted to be flush with top of extension, approx .7" extends into flashlight body to help conduct heat into body.
-I have left the top of the heat sink plain for now. I will modify it to the buyer's request so that it can be used for more than one type of application. I can leave it flat or a raised pedestal center of whatever diameter can be machined.
-Either way, the top surface will be milled for best flatness.
-I will also drill holes for wires upon buyer request. Please specify what diameter and location you would like the holes.

Extension:
-Length: Extends Mag approx 2.2 inches.

-The extension is threaded such that it will stop just past the o-ring groove on the Mag body.
-The extension is T6061 Aluminum and is bare.
-The extension weighs 78g.
-The extension has 20 degree chamfer on each end.
-An extra o-ring is provided with the extension.

***Edit 10/12/13***

For those of you that are skeptical, here are some things to think about.

1) The extra 2.2 inches of exposed aluminum is already almost 12 square inches (11.91) more surface area on the business end of the light than what the light had before.

2) The length of this heat sink spreads the heat to the head, the extension piece and the body.

3) The copper core of this heat sink will conduct the heat away from the LED and spread it better over the length of the heat sink than an all aluminum sink.

4) Copper conducts heat better than aluminum, but Aluminum has more than twice the specific heat capacity of copper. Thus a hybrid heat sink is a good compromise to utilize the best properties of both.

On to Pictures!
_MG_4074.jpg

Here is a picture of another heat sink showing how the sink can be modified if required . (Picture is of prototype)

Small-3894.jpg

Copper Goodness!
_MG_4083.jpg

316 grams total mass!
Extra o-ring is already installed, but I doubt it even weighs a gram.
_MG_4079.jpg

Last edited:

Bucket

Newly Enlightened
Re: FS: Maglite Extension with Copper Core Heatsink

Reserved.

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened

What is the wall thickness of the extension. Is it possible to groove it to increase surface area?

Bucket

Newly Enlightened

I can do grooves if you like. I'm away from the house right now but wall thickness ranges from about .090 to .110 just from memory. I'll get back to you with exact numbers when I get back home.

Bucket

Newly Enlightened

My memory was off.

Wall thickness for the exposed portion that is above the internal threads (threaded to the Mag) is .082". This portion is 1.2 inch long.

Wall thickness for the rest of the exposed portion is .187". This portion is 1" long including the 20 degree chamfer.

Buck

Bucket

Newly Enlightened

What is the wall thickness of the extension. Is it possible to groove it to increase surface area?

This extension adds almost 12 square inches of surface area to the light all by itself. I'm pretty certain it adds more surface area than grooving the head does.

Thanks for looking.

Buck

Bucket

Newly Enlightened

Using it for my own build. Sale over.