• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired New flashlight: The Copperhead [interest / description / sales] thread

[CLOSED for now...]

Hi Folks,

I've been working on this concept for a while, and its time to bring it to CPF for your consideration. It is a very tough, small light based on a c-thread extension tube, and made mostly of copper otherwise. I have finalized the design, and put the final prototype through all sorts of testing, including giving it to my 4-year old as a bath toy!

About me and my policies:
I realize I'm new at flashlight design and sales. I have quite a bit of experience in electronics (ham radio and audio electronics / speakers) and in hobby manufacturing and sales. If you have heard of the Society for Creative Anachronism, I manufacture and supply most of the UHMW combat arrowheads out there. I've been doing this for about 12 years now. I have lots of repeat, satisfied customers - references on request.

True to the policies of the best CPF sellers, I will not take any funds until the product is ready, and will make right any problems. I hope to earn your trust.

About the flashlight:
This flashlight starts with a solid copper slug. On that, I reflow a copper sinkpad, and then the LED emitter. By itself, this heatsink can take direct drive from an 18650 for quite a few minutes through a Nichia 219.

The driver is wired up with 22g silver plated stranded mil-spec teflon wire, and encased in mil-spec structural epoxy filled with pharmacy grade zinc oxide for thermal transfer, then the whole pill is wrapped in copper tape.

This pill is friction fit into a copper tube and secured with more thermal epoxy. a TIR is mounted and secured with thermal epoxy, and a copper cap is fitted over the front with more thermal epoxy. Finally, this insert is pressed into the front of a Solarforce CR123 extension tube with approximately 1000 lbs of force and more thermal epoxy.

This is the result:
copperhead_sm.jpg

The parts:
I am completely open with this light. All parts are the highest quality that I could find and I will disclose everything.
copperhead_parts_sm.jpg

Tube: Solarforce CR123 or 18650 extension
Copper tube and endcap: 3/4" Type M water supply pipe
Copper pill: 110 Copper Round Rod, ASTM B187
Driver: Kaidomain 4x7135 V2 LED Driver 1520mA 17mm. Other drivers are possible. I am running this one l/m/h with no memory, but other modes are possible. This driver has over-discharge protection (tested), but may not have reverse polarity protection. I see a diode, but I have not tested it yet! 2.5-4.5v, runs best with RCR123, 18350 or 18650. A CR123A will work fine but not drive it to full performance.
PCB: 16mm copper sinkpad sourced from vestureofblood (I will switch to 20mm as soon as my supply runs out)
LED: Nichia NVSL219AT-H1 4500K, 92 CRI, B10 Bin or Cree XM-L2, T5, 3C Tint (5000K) sourced from Illumination Supply (other LEDs can be used of course)
Hookup wire: 22 AWG stranded wire with 19 strands of silver plated oxygen free copper wire with teflon insulation.
Lens: 25 or 45 degree TIR (I'm looking into sourcing other beam shapes)
Thermal Epoxy: System 3 T-88 Structural Epoxy (Used to make airplanes and boats) filled 1:1 with pharmacy-grade zinc oxide powder.

Here is what you can do with it:
three_lights_on2_sm.jpg

2x123 tube with 18650, clicky and clip; 1x123 tube with twisty G2 switch; 1x123 tube with shrouded clicky.

size_comparison_sm.jpg

Quark AA and Solarforce L2M for size comparison

Of course it is waterproof....
underwater_sm.jpg

Beamshots with 25 and 45 degree optics, Nichia 219. Though the wider lens specifies 45 degrees, it is all flood - think of is as a Mule. The narrow lens has good throw and decent side-spill.
WP_25_high_N219_sm.jpg

FT_45_high_N219_sm.jpg

Durability:
I have been EDCing the prototype for a while and inviting people to toss it around. I gave it to my 4-year old to use as a bath toy. I deliberately abused the light and put it on film here for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0nXjWT0iq0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBqPmPZD3ZI

After all this, the battery is OK due to the protective battery gasket.
after_abuse_sm.jpg

after_abuse2_sm.jpg

The Name:
So, I decided to call it the Copperhead for the obvious reason. Then I found out that there was another copperhead light made with pipe caps several years back! I hope there is not too much confusion.

The Deal:
I will be documenting the build of this run of lights as they are produced. I will make 4 N219 and 4 5k XML2 with the V2 drivers. I will sell these for $55 shipped to the US. If you are interested, please reply to this thread and I will put your name on a no-obligation list for the right of first refusal as they come off the line. I will program them all l/m/h with no memory, but if you would like a different program (clicky) I will contact you when it is time for programming for a non-refundable $10 deposit (to be applied to the final cost of the light of course). This is an introductory price and will likely increase for the next run.

If these prove to be popular, I would like to bring more optics, and higher rated drivers, since I think the heat sinking is more than adequate for the current amperage. I have run the prototype on high for more than 1/2 hour continuously unattended with no ill effects. It runs indefinitely on medium unattended (4.5h before the warning blinks using a Panasonic NCR-18650A). I may have missed something in this description, so please ask questions!

For Clarity:
$55 gets you what is in the first pic.
Add:
$5 for a basic solarforce switch (forward clicky)
$7 for a shrouded solarforce switch (forward clicky)
$7 for a basic solarforce switch (REVERSE clicky)
$9 for a shrouded sloarforce switch (REVERSE clicky)
$5 for an additional 123 tube to make it 18650 compatible
$5 for a solarforce clip
$2 for me to grind off the lanyard loop from the clip
$2 to upgrade to the HD bezel

Thanks, Dan Slone (schizeckinosy)

Last edited:
My Paypal is my user name at yahoo.com

From my spreadsheet - check for accuracy!

Key:
Name, Queue order, Status of Order (nothing means not started), Bezel, Lens, Emitter, Driver, Tube size, Accessories, programming (standard is LMH No Memory), Shipping notes, Final price.

Z-tab, 1, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, LMH, Y Memory, $55
justanotherguy, 2, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 18650 size, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, Y Memory, $62
flyback, 3, Completed, Paid, Shipped, HD, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, Y Memory, $69
moshow9, 4, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $65
hron61, 5, Completed, Paid, Shipped, HD, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $69
slow2go, 6, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 3040 50ma, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clicky, HML, N Memory, $65
Icehole, 7, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clip, Shrouded Clicky, LMHdisco, Y Memory, $72
Icehole, 7, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 3040, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clip, Shrouded Clicky, LMHdisco, Y Memory, $72
jd1911, 8, Completed, Paid, Shipped, HD, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 cool, KD 3040, 123 size, LMH, Y Memory, $57
kellyglanzer, 10, Completed, Paid, Shipped, HD, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $69
Tofty, 11, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Reverse Clicky, HML, N Memory, UK, 14mm clicky, $62
jmac30, 12, Completed, Smoothy, FT 45 MULE, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clicky, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, Y Memory, $72
nfetterly, 13, Completed, Paid, Shipped, HD, Optic-FOV 15, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Reverse Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $71
nfetterly, 13, Completed, Paid, Shipped, HD, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, Reverse Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $66
karlthev, 14, Completed, Paid, Shipped, HD, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Clicky, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, Y Memory, $69
kukkurovaca, 15, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, LMH, N Memory, $55
Raze, 16, Completed, HD, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 cool, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, LMH, N Memory, $62
tobrien, 17, Completed, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, LMH, N Memory, $60
GregM, 18, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 cool, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clicky, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, CANADA, $72
run4jc, 19, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, FT 45 MULE, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $65
Eciton, 20, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, FT 45 MULE, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, LMH, N Memory, UK, $55
greatscoot, 21, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Clip, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $67
glowbug123, 22, Completed, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, LMH, N Memory, Maybe HD, $55
lensman, 23, Completed, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 45, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $62
white light, 24, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 cool, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Reverse Shrouded Clicky, LMH, Y Memory, $69
JohnF, 25, Completed, Paid, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 45, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Reverse Shrouded Clicky, M/H/blink, N Memory, $69
Freaker, 26, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 3040, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Shrouded Clicky, HML, N Memory, $67
jonwkng, 27, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Clip, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $67
Dadof6, 28, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clip, Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $70
Dadof6, 28, Completed, Paid, Shipped, HD, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clip, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $74
BarryH, 29, In Progress, Paid, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 45, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $67

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I really like the look of the copper head on the black body. It looks kind of like a Duracell battery...

I'm interested in one of these with a Nichia 219, 25 degree lens. If narrower optics become available, I would want the narrowest that will work with the 219.

I really like the look of the copper head on the black body. It looks kind of like a Duracell battery...

I'm interested in one of these with a Nichia 219, 25 degree lens. If narrower optics become available, I would want the narrowest that will work with the 219.

I was going to call it the "copper top" but thought better of it...
The mfg of the optic claims an 8 degree optic, but I don't have a source yet. I'm writing to the mfg to see if I can source directly and I'll let you know what I find out. I like this one best because it was designed with a large seal as a waterproof lens.

flyback

Newly Enlightened
This does look very interesting. I'm in for one of the XM-L2 units.

Good luck with this Dan!

Thanks for all the interest already! For clarity, what I'm selling is what you see in the first pic, but I would be happy to add an extension for 18650 use and/or switch for $5 each to complete the light. I'm a little short on those right now, so if anyone wants those, please let me know so I can get some more from Solarforce. Otherwise, any "c" style switch will work!

Thanks, Dan

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interested (just don't know which one yet). Do you have a beamshot of the XM-L2 with the 25 degree optic?

I personally like the 1x123 tube with twisty G2 switch setup. Reminds me of an Arc LS, that may be why. :D

Edit: Minus the Kroll switch of course. ;)

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Holy beat the crap out of it batman"....

I'm interested in a 219 nichia 1x123 tube with twisty G2 switch with a custom hi, med, and the 25 degree optic (narrow).
Are these regulated?
How long can it stay under water?

Last edited:
"Holy beat the crap out of it batman"....

I'm interested in a 219 nichia 1x123 tube with twisty G2 switch with a custom hi, med, and the 25 degree optic (narrow).
Are these regulated?
How long can it stay under water?

As far as I know Solarforce does not offer a twisty - the one shown here is off of my G2, so to replicate it, you would need to source one somewhere. I could get one off of ebay and sell it on to you as well, but probably best if you got the one you wanted. It would cost more than the $5 solarforce switches! I'm looking at getting a zero-res for myself to make an ultimate shorty!

The front of the light is 100% sealed in epoxy, so I would expect zero water infiltration. Infiltration in the switch depends on the O-rings, so I don't know. I did not see any water in the prototype after 1/2 hour or more in a bathtub. I'll take one next month on my trip to Guantanamo bay. I work with underwater cameras and sampling gear in up to 30m of water, so I'll attach one to the camera rig and film it! (during a work break of course...)

The light is fully current controlled - during my 4 1/2 hour burn test, I did not see any dimming, but I have not yet taken any readings. I will do so with my camera soon.

Last edited:
Interested (just don't know which one yet). Do you have a beamshot of the XM-L2 with the 25 degree optic?
;)

not yet - let me get one mocked up tomorrow and I'll post a beamshot. All beamshots are taken at a fixed distance of 2 feet with standardized camera settings, so they are all comparable.

Also, read my note above that a primary 123 does not drive it to full performance.

I also have 1 cool white XML2 on hand. I was going to save it for the 2.8a driver I have coming, but I'll build one of these with it if there is interest.

Also, if there is interest in other LEDS (XPG2 will also work) or tints please let me know so I can start ordering!

Thanks.

Last edited:

slow2go

Newly Enlightened
Put me down for one with the XML2...W/ 2.8 Driver, If still available..........Thanks For Clarity I want all 3 items
$55 gets you what is in the first pic.
Add $5 for a basic solarforce switch
Add $5 for an additional 123 tube to make it 18650 compatible

Last edited:

Icehole

Enlightened
Please put me down for one of each emitter, narrow optics, along with 2x extension tubes, 2x clips, and 2x forward clicky shrouded switches.

I will probably want different programming, memory at the least.

Looks like slow2go and I have the same taste!
let me know if you can do more than one 2.8 or more driver.

thanks!

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome.

I'll supply the tailcap then. On the 4.5 hr burntime were you running an 18650 or cr123? im assuming the big one.
It looks like a single oring on the end correct? Can this be double oringed for extra protection? I do live in the pacific northwet. lol

jd1911

Newly Enlightened
I would also like one like this:

I also have 1 cool white XML2 on hand. I was going to save it for the 2.8a driver I have coming, but I'll build one of these with it if there is interest.

Thanks.

LMH with memory would be nice.....If it holds up of course.

Thanks
JD

Awesome.

I'll supply the tailcap then. On the 4.5 hr burntime were you running an 18650 or cr123? im assuming the big one.
It looks like a single oring on the end correct? Can this be double oringed for extra protection? I do live in the pacific northwet. lol

4.5 hours on medium with a Panasonic NCR18650A to the first warning blink. Really good battery!
I hear you on wetness. I used to live in Oregon... I just pulled my tester out of my pocket and put an extra oring in the groove between the threads and the "real" oring slot. It works... should give some extra protection there.