Philips '100w' LED bulb

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you pop off one of the emitter covers to see how many emitters are behind it, and whether or not there is remote phosphor "egg yolk"? You should be able to do this non-destructively if they are still making them the same way.

I'm a bit disappointed in the 20W usage instead of 19W to produces 100W of equivalent lumens. I have the 22W model which produces an equivalent 111W. So it seems efficiency continues to be the same despite the bulb being newer.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pros:

1) Greater light output than an "equivalent" incandescent
2) Same beam shape/output profile
3) No detectable flicker
4) $30.00 for this many lumens from a reputable company is awesome

Cons:

1) Consumes one watt more than advertised

Other Thoughts:

1) If the bulb is $30.00 now, what about in a couple years...?
Will we eventually see high-CRI LED bulbs from reputable manufacturers for
$12.00 to $15.00?

Questions for Reviewer:

1) Subjectively, how does the CCT compare with a 100 watt incandescent?
I don't mean with the laptop's software said, I mean what you see with your own eyes.
2) Subjectively, how do reds appear under this light? Did reds, oranges, browns, and yellows
look natural to you?
3) Do you have any plans to review the XLedia 100 watt equivalent?

Thank you for the all time and effort you put into these reviews.
I love watching them! :)

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
Could you pop off one of the emitter covers to see how many emitters are behind it, and whether or not there is remote phosphor "egg yolk"? You should be able to do this non-destructively if they are still making them the same way.

I'm a bit disappointed in the 20W usage instead of 19W to produces 100W of equivalent lumens. I have the 22W model which produces an equivalent 111W. So it seems efficiency continues to be the same despite the bulb being newer.

The construction appears to be different than the previous exposed-yellow type... the plastic shell appears to be one piece and I could not see how to remove it without destroying the bulb.

carnal

Newly Enlightened
Could you pop off one of the emitter covers to see how many emitters are behind it, and whether or not there is remote phosphor "egg yolk"?

If they are hiding the remote phosphor egg yolk, you wonder how much lumen loss is going on with the 2nd diffuser white cover. That'd be crazy thinking on Philips part--just to get consumers to buy it, and not be scared off by the yellow color.

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
1) Subjectively, how does the CCT compare with a 100 watt incandescent?
I don't mean with the laptop's software said, I mean what you see with your own eyes.

Appears similar to the incandescent. .

2) Subjectively, how do reds appear under this light? Did reds, oranges, browns, and yellows
look natural to you?

As a 2700K bulb it's going to be rather yellow so I don't entirely understand the question about color fidelity (is that not the realm of a much higher kelvin 'daylight' bulb?)...

3) Do you have any plans to review the XLedia 100 watt equivalent?

Not at this time.

markr6

Flashaholic
Someone please make a 100w equivalent, 4000K already :hairpull: :hairpull: :hairpull:

markr6

Flashaholic
Or a 3500 ... or a 3000. Something other than still-too-blue 5000 and hyper-yellow 2700.

Exactly. I did see some 3000K at Lowes I'm tempted to try. Some cheapo brand but someone in another thread said it was a nice tint, no issues. May be worth a $17 test?? But 3500 would be ideal. I'm still bugging Cree about that!

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Philips have a very warm white - aka yellow - but on box it says 3000K I want, no I need, a B22 British 100W led bulb,i in 3500-4000K, any price is ok, I just cant find the damed thing;s, do they exists?

markr6

Flashaholic
They must just pick these two common temps based on what they think consumers want. If they make 2 versions, you would think making a 3rd wouldn't be much more expensive. Especially for the gain in market share. Just different packaging and emitters but I would think the cost difference would be minimal if any.

Cover all consumers needs (or a large majority) by offering 2700K, 3800K and 5000K. Done.

Neilbenecke

Newly Enlightened
Getting a Tk61vn V2 from vin this month I feel like a 6 year dragging mom and dad to Hanleys

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforum

Neilbenecke

Newly Enlightened
For those who don't know Hanleys on Regents street London on the west end it's got to be one of the ultimate toy and hobbie stores. Powell back in the day if you died Hanleys was heaven lmao

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforum

SemiMan

Banned
They must just pick these two common temps based on what they think consumers want. If they make 2 versions, you would think making a 3rd wouldn't be much more expensive. Especially for the gain in market share. Just different packaging and emitters but I would think the cost difference would be minimal if any.

Cover all consumers needs (or a large majority) by offering 2700K, 3800K and 5000K. Done.

Or it could be that there has never ever been a consumer "100W - 4000K" bulb, hence there is no established replacement market. That doesn't mean people will not buy it, but it will take time to establish it. CFL exist in 4000K, but even they are a bit rare.

Semiman

markr6

Flashaholic
Or it could be that there has never ever been a consumer "100W - 4000K" bulb, hence there is no established replacement market. That doesn't mean people will not buy it, but it will take time to establish it. CFL exist in 4000K, but even they are a bit rare.

Semiman

That makes sense.

BTW I was at Home Depot last night getting some stuff to overseed my lawn. The bulb section is nearby, so I picked up a $4.97 impulse buy - 4-pack 100W equivalent 3500K CLFs. I think it was Ecosmart brand. Even though I hate CFLs, a 50% deal is hard to pass up!

I put 3 of them on one side of my basement, stood in the dark for a minute to "forget" any color temp in my mind, and hit the switch. WOW!!! I forgot how bad CLFs needed to warm up. It was basically the same as a 25 or 40w max incandescent. After about 2-3 minutes though, they provide adequate light and the color temp is PERFECT @ 3500K. I'm sure 4000K would be OK too.

It's annoying going down in the dim basement to get something quick then back up, only getting about 50% of the possible output from these bulbs. But for <$5, I may keep them for now to save some energy.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Semiman

There's also the significant "one more SKU" cost, even if its just a minor deviation from the baseline BOM.

Realistically, tuneable color temperature lighting is likely the best hope for something other than 2700 and 5000 in the consumer space... if only those options weren't so pricey.

markr6

Flashaholic
Realistically, tuneable color temperature lighting is likely the best hope for something other than 2700 and 5000 in the consumer space... if only those options weren't so pricey.

That is a really neat idea. I recall the Philips Hue lights which are something like $199 for the 3-pack! And I wonder how CRI varies with these kinds of systems.