Malkoff        
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HIVE McG converter used in the Aqua line of lights.

Default Re: HIVE McG converter used in the Aqua line of lights.

There certainly is a lot of possibilities for future developments and from my side i would not at all rule out that this could happen
    I really appreciate your support and interest in having HiveLD driver available for other lights as well!

But right now we are still focused on the Aqua lights and this driver board.
    Anybody wanting to share their experience with the driver, especially if you have decided to make changes to the configuration?

Ok - I did it. Bought a "Circuit Writer" pen from radio shack (for twice the price it is on Amazon because I couldn't wait) and colored my solder gap silver.

Level changes definitely exercised my mind but once I got the hang of the blink codes and the level changing - it became fun. I haven't set presets yet but I did zoom straight to level 16 and bumped it up to 2200. It will take some time to come up with the other settings only due to the fact I don't know what preferences I have yet. I can't compare the output until dark but lumen charts suggest 700ish lumen numbers for 2200ma - in a McGizmo!!!

If your on the fence here's what I think: It's actually not too easy to accidentally engage the setup mode so no worries there. One tip that I didn't pick up on: start with the light ON to enter setup mode. I started with it on High(brightness level#4) for my personal reference. Follow the directions in the manual or try it this way:
    1)start on High(#4 brightness level)
    2)turn light off and on to keep the light on #4 brightness level (a.k.a - long toggle)
    3)repeat step 2
    4)change brightness level to #1 (a.k.a - short toggle)
    5)change brightness level to #2
    6)change brightness level to #3
    7)change brightness level to #4
    8)repeat step 2
    9)repeat step 2
    ...and your in level one, setting one, of the setup menu as is indicated by the triple blink.

To get your feet wet, give yourself about 30 minutes to play with the blinks, compare the light's actions with the verbage in the manual, and adjust basic settings. Then... Have fun

Rush,
    One question I have is: have you compiled any charts that are a quick reference for brightness mA values compared to the driver's brightness values? For example, if max brightness is set to 2A then level 21 would be 2A and level 10 would be close to 1A. However if max is 1A, level 10 wold be approximately .5A. But figuring out amp value for say level 14 is a little harder without a calculator(for me). I was just wondering if you have found a short cut so we can pick the amp setting we want easier. If not, no biggie - I will just use my calculator and figure out each level.

And, a big CONGRATULATIONS on this product. It's entertaining and well thought out. You have designed a very interesting driver. Also, the manual is quite helpful - nice touch to introduce such a thorough and helpful tool with such a new product. You and Don have done quite well with the planning and production of this light. I couldn't be happier with the product or more impressed with the professionalism supporting it. Thanks............... I want another one.

Awesome post Calflash! Thank you for explaining the process to enter customization. I need one of those pens!!

Thumbs up Re: HIVE McG converter used in the Aqua line of lights.

Get'r'dun PSM

This is starting to get very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by calflash View Post
    Get'r'dun PSM
    I'm gonna, my local RS has those pens in stock, will pick one up.

Edit - oops - re-read the OP that the limit is 2.2A. I hadn't seen that before.

Flashaholic

Thanks calflash, that's good info
    I need to pick up one of those pens, they seem the neatest way to connect the bridge in the absence of fine soldering skills.
    Cheers, Matt

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mattp- the pen was super easy - a little high priced in my opinion but super easy.

Ok. It's dark. I'm having fun. Bridging the gap is worth it.

It's not that helpful but all I really have to compare it to is a makai 6v xm-l and a zebralight sc600 mII. The Makai still out-throws the Aqua Ram on 2200mA but the beam on the Aqua is so much larger that it makes it more useful and the throw advantage of the Makai is not as extreme as I thought it might be for distance. The Aqua Ram has more throw than the sc600 but covers almost as much flood area. The Aqua just doesn't have as smooth or wide of a flood beam as the sc600. So the Aqua beam at 2200 is a nice balance between the two lights I can compare it to... for what that's worth.

Boosting the max current to 2200 has another plus. Brightness level three seems to be about as bright as brightness level 4 was on the stock setup. So it's almost like I have a three speed converter with an additional mode - TURBO! If only I could put a turbo on my Makai and Haiku!

I can't put it down now. This driver is fantastic. Don't like mode memory? Do you want your light to always start on high? No problem. Do you want your light to always start on low? No problem.

Want a five level bank? Want a camping/hiking/diving etc. bank? Want a single mode bank that only comes on in the low mode for waking up in the middle of the night? Or a single mode for some other specific task at work? No problem. The presets are a really cool feature.

I've never yet owned a Spy - I hope to someday. Until then, this might be the most versatile light I've ever used when it comes to its output.

sorry for thinking out loud - enthusiasm is bubbling over right now.

Default HIVE McG converter used in the Aqua line of lights.

That is awesome!! How low is the lowest low??

I didn't know it had different banks for user modes. Sweet!

Gonna try to sneak out of here today to get my pen.

I am curious about the PWM in the low levels. The frequency is pretty low and I am concerned with some flicker. What do you guys think so far?

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    I am curious about the PWM in the low levels. The frequency is pretty low and I am concerned with some flicker. What do you guys think so far?
    Sean, I am picking up my pen today, so hopefully I will figure out the programming tonight after my kids go to bed. I will post here with what I find. If calflash doesn't beat me to it.

The banks are called presets and it looks like program modes 2,3 and 6-15 can be stored on one of the three presets. The presets are the first mode once in programming. Momentary options, the number of levels, the power of the levels, thermal settings voltage settings and other options can all be customized for each preset.

The lowest low is lower than my haiku 119V. I'd guess it at the 1-2 lumen range??? I am curious to find an easier way to determine the drive level from rush. Brightness level 1 of 21 is "x" percent of max current setting. What's "x"?

As far as pwm, I am not too good at detecting it. I tried last night but couldn't see it very well by sweeping it across the wall. Maybe PSM can answer that a little better.

I tried running a protected battery till the Mule switched off and I didn't notice any flicker even when it dropped to the lowest output prior to doing dead.

I have to admit I wasn't specifically looking for it, just wanted to see the step down and warnings.

Jumper has been filled.

Going to try and program later.

Ok I am doing something wrong. For the life of me I can't get into program mode.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Ok I am doing something wrong. For the life of me I can't get into program mode.
    I couldn't get a pen to work so I soldered the link and got in straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by London Lad View Post
    I couldn't get a pen to work so I soldered the link and got in straight away.
    Thank you. So it isn't me.

Calflash, did you use the Caig pen from RadioShack? That's the one I'm using. It's blue and white.

Yep - Caig labs circuit writer precision conductive ink dispenser.

mine looks a little more silver than yours though. Dumb question but did you shake your pen enough? It took a lot of shaking for the ball in my pen to move and mix up the ink. I practiced with the pen a little before touching the converter, made a puddle on a piece of paper, and dabbed the solder gap after dipping the pen tip in the puddle. It looks like a very thin layer of solder/ silver ink.
    Last edited by calflash; 10-26-2013 at 12:54 PM.

I will take it off then retry, thanks!

How long does the circuit writer pen take to dry, and how would one remove it should they decide to retry?
    Click Here to view my lights

It dries in "minutes" I think it says on the package. But the directions say:

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. PREPARE SURFACE. Remove loose scale, oil, grease and dirt from surface.
    2. SHAKE WELL. Shake for at least 10 seconds. Shaker ball inside will assist mixing of materials. If necessary, clean tip with tissue or other soft cloth to remove dried material.
    3. APPLY. Squeeze the pen barrel while pressing the pen tip lightly on surface. Practice on scrap piece before attempting prototype or repairs. If tip gets clogged, remove pen tip (turn clockwise) and clean.

DO NOT APPLY TO HOT SURFACE - TIP WILL MELT. MELTED TIP VOIDS WARRANTY.

4. DRY. Allow approximately 24 hours to dry at room temperature (70oF). Recommend curing 6” away from a 40 watt light bulb for 4 hours. Then let sit overnight.
    5. CLEAN UP. Acetone or other suitable solvent.

I tried mine after two hours and have had no problems. Interestingly enough, some reviews on radio shacks web site said it wasn't conductive until they really got it shook up. And then some got a dried up batch and had to return it.
    Last edited by calflash; 10-26-2013 at 04:08 PM.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond- I do see a slight flicker on the lowest setting. I have to hold the light and my head very steady and really study the beam or the LED itself in order to see it. If I am moving the beam around, I don't notice it.
    Last edited by calflash; 10-26-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calflash View Post
    As far as pwm, I am not too good at detecting it. I tried last night but couldn't see it very well by sweeping it across the wall. Maybe PSM can answer that a little better.
    The best ways to look for PWM is to wave your outstretched fingers in front of the light, or shine it on some trickling water. If what you're seeing looks like smooth blurring then there's no concern, but if it freezes the drops then PWM rate is too low.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Redid mine. Basically looks just like yours now Calflash. Still no beans. Lol.

A few times (out of at least 75 tries) I saw it triple blink after the sequence but then nothing happened afterwards.

Woo hoo! Took London Lads advice. Did it with solder, first time I'm in!!!

Calflash, thank you for all your help!!

That's awesome PSM! Let us know how it goes.

I guess I happened to get a good pen. Take warning on the pen everyone else. They evidently don't have good QC or something.

Yeah that pen is going back to RS.

I figured out the programming. Once u get it figured out it is fairly simple.

I have my high at 2200mA, and low at the lowest. The PWM is noticeable, but it's really not that bad. Lowest is pretty low. Probably a hair brighter than 47's moon mode.

On 2200mA it's pretty bright!!!

Can't wait for night.

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    The best ways to look for PWM is to wave your outstretched fingers in front of the light, or shine it on some trickling water. If what you're seeing looks like smooth blurring then there's no concern, but if it freezes the drops then PWM rate is too low.
    Thanks for those suggestions! Both tests show the PWM. That water test is pretty neat. I wish I knew how to photograph it - almost looks like cartoon radar waves.

I'm glad all worked out well for you PSM. It really is a fun light with the programming! This can easily become a go-to light for nearly every task.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast