DealExtreme        
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HIVE McG converter used in the Aqua line of lights.

Default Re: HIVE McG converter used in the Aqua line of lights.

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Thanks for all the praise for the Aqua lights and the HiveLD driver. There is more to come from Don and I as far as i can say
    I found that last statement interesting.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

I appreciate your support and interest in the HiveLD driver and i am glad that some of you also would like to see the HiveLD appear in other lights that Don is offering.
    I do have plans to expand the HiveLD family and while it would be too early to talk about specifics regarding the hardware, i want to encourage the discussion about the driver firmware that is working at the heart of all HiveLD boards.

What features do you think are missing, something that should work differently?
    For future drivers I would consider any features that are technically possible and of general interest.

Especially those of you that have been using their Aqua lights for a while now and maybe even have customized their lights through the setup mode, i would love to hear your opinion.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

Hi Rush,
    I am still loving this light. It's my go to light every day. The light is tougher than nails and I am still impressed with the driver too - it's great to use. In fact, I like it so much that I edc it despite its larger-than-average-edc size.

If your developing any new designs or updates, here is my best suggestion: I would love to be able to use (2) cr123 batteries in a pinch or while traveling. Is it possible to design another setting that the user could choose battery voltage input? Or is it possible to just make all the components compatible with (2) cr123 batteries?

Default HIVE McG converter used in the Aqua line of lights.

Still enjoying my ram and mule, I have not messed with programming since setting it up to four levels on 2200mA. I use the mule 3x more than the ram simply bc the AquaMule is my only dedicated mule light.

Also just to note, I have not accidentally entered programming with my jumper still bridged. Well done sequence.

I agree with PSM, my AquaMule gets used more.

Have not messed with the settings yet, the stock setup is perfect for me.

The AquaMule is a great around the house light on the lowest stock setting.

The beam angle is wider than the High CRI Mule and the PD Mule.

Quote Originally Posted by coloradogps View Post
    The beam angle is wider than the High CRI Mule and the PD Mule.
    The wider aperture of the lens allows for wider beam distribution. Love love love the AquaMule!!! I highly recommend closing the jumper and programming to 2200mA. The brightness is awesome compared to 1400, plus the low is lower on level 1.

PSM, sounds like I need to program it to 2200mA.

Now I have to get a soldering iron or heat up some tweezers.

Now I am thinking about a Haiku with this board in it. Could be the ultimate EDC light.

Agreed, a haiku with this converter would be very very nice.

And yes the tweezer method worked great, YMMV.

Thank you all for the comments!
    What more could i ask for than you not having any complaints or even suggestions about the UI or configuration options
    It is good to know that the setup sequence is distinct enough that you haven't triggered it inadvertently yet.

The suggestions you made about the hardware are part of the planned design.
    I am aiming for an increased input voltage range, two primary cells would thus be possible. Just regarding the low battery warning, this will require you to tell the driver via a setting whether you are using primary lithium or rechargeable Li-Ion cells.
    And the driver will indeed be a different form factor than the HiveLD-P for the Aqua lights.

Please keep your ideas coming

I have tried to understand what's involved with the programming a little more without using it yet (I still have to summon up the courage to bridge the jumper)

From what I understand, once in programming mode, increasing the maximum current to 2200ma involves going through each of the settings 1 to 4, clicking yes at 4, then going progressively from setting 6 to 16.

In each successive setting for 1 to 3, and 6 to 15, before the setting concludes with the final triple blink, the circuit must be clicked off and then on again in order to proceed to the next setting.

At setting 16, after the final triple blink, the circuit must be clicked 22 times.

Please correct me if I'm being dense.

Anyway, I was thinking that it might be handy if there was a simpler one-off option to achieve this as its probably a popular requirement.
    Last edited by easilyled; 01-04-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Hi Easilyled,

You are correct on the procedure for changing the output to 2200 mA for all but the final step:
    Setting 16 has the default value of 15, so you will have to increase the value by 7 to get to 22. You do this by turning off the light after the second (final) triple blink, each time the value will increase by one.
    When you have increased it to 22 you leave the setup by going over the rest of the settings as you did in the beginning to get to setting 16.

You are right that the maximum current (setting 16) is probably one of the most used and could be more at the front of the level 2 settings. It should probably be in the level 2 settings though, since once you have your desired maximum set, you can define your brightness levels through those specific settings and save them to the presets so you can always quickly recall any configuration.

Hi Easilyled,

You are correct on the procedure for changing the output to 2200 mA for all but the final step:
    Setting 16 has the default value of 15, so you will have to increase the value by 7 to get to 22. You do this by turning off the light after the second (final) triple blink, each time the value will increase by one.
    When you have increased it to 22 you leave the setup by going over the rest of the settings as you did in the beginning to get to setting 16.

You are right that the maximum current (setting 16) is probably one of the most used and could be more at the front of the level 2 settings. It should probably be in the level 2 settings though, since once you have your desired maximum set, you can define your brightness levels through those specific settings and save them to the presets so you can always quickly recall any configuration.
    Ah ... thanks for setting me straight rush. I skimmed through the guide quickly and obviously didn't absorb it as throughly as I should have.

In order to increase the value from 15 to 22, does it involve 7 full cycles of traversing through all the levels? (ie. repeating the entire process 7 times?)

You are staying in the same setting unless you turn off the light before the second triple flash.
    Hence if you increase or decrease the settings' value (or wait until the light goes off after finishing the whole signal sequence and user input window) you don't leave that setting. So you just repeat the "increase value" procedure (7 times in this case) until you have reached the desired value.

You are staying in the same setting unless you turn off the light before the second triple flash.
    Hence if you increase or decrease the settings' value (or wait until the light goes off after finishing the whole signal sequence and user input window) you don't leave that setting. So you just repeat the "increase value" procedure (7 times in this case) until you have reached the desired value.
    Ok, thanks.

After months of use I have concluded that the real beauty of this driver is that it allows you to carry three task specific lights in one package.

I use a single mode preset for work that balances output and battery life. RELIABLE!

At night I use a three mode which I have set to actually be more like a two mode with a super turbo third mode with a volatile switching setup. Always starts in level one which for me is low... guaranteed.

I rarely (actually never) use the 4 mode preset. I never thought I would think this way but my conclusion is that less modes are better IF you have a different light for different tasks. I think I'll be changing the 4 mode to a cycling preset.

I'm very impressed by how nice it is to have tailored task specific presets compared to settling for a more traditional multi mode light. Home run. If you haven't experimented with tailoring the presets to your specific tasks, try it out! It's quite the eye opener.

I tend to agree that having too many output levels is more of a hassle than being useful. Three levels seems to be sufficient to me to provide the right level of illumination for every purpose.
    Just like Calflash i am also preferring the volatile memory setting so i always know what output level i will get when i first turn on my light.
    It takes some experimenting to find the perfect settings but once you found them you wonder how you got by without before

You are really using the driver to the full extent with having different presets that you switch between often. If you have different tasks that require such different illumination, the presets are the answer. It is nearly as having several lights with you, as it was mentioned before

Flashaholic*

The output options seem similar to the old Liteflux programming but it has been years since I had my LF2 & LF3's so I can't recall exactly.

Would that be a fair statement?
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

I tend to agree that having too many output levels is more of a hassle than being useful. Three levels seems to be sufficient to me to provide the right level of illumination for every purpose.
    Too many levels are definitely a hassle, but the range the UI is capable of is what helps determine what is enough, too little or too many.

On my LF2XT with its limited output range three was perfect, but as lights get both brighter and capable of going ever lower, more levels look much more useful.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Hey Rush,
    I was thinking about kaichu dento's thoughtful point and then wondered if this is possible: would it be possible to have a bank setting that would ramp brightness? I.E. - soft press McClicky and brightness starts at lowest and ramps up. Then release at desired brightness and it locks. Then operate at that brightness until ramping mode is entered again. Perhaps ramping could be controlled by a time delay or a switching sequence. That's where I'm kind of lost but... possible or realistic?
    Last edited by calflash; 05-08-2014 at 10:59 PM.

Rush - Sorry to bump the thread for this but your pm box if full

Kaichu dento,
    You are absolutely right that there is a little more to the question of the number of levels than i expressed with my statement. With a high maximum output it makes sense to have more levels available. The Aqua lights are a good example, most people probably agree that the default 4 output levels are well chosen. Especially since we are also expanding the output range towards a lower low than before.

Calflash,
    Such a mode that you describe would be possible. The actual implementation of the sequences that enter or exit out of that mode would need some serious thinking though, so they don't collide with the other aspects of operating the driver. If a ramping mode would actually work well and not be too cumbersome to use is probably another question...

N. B. Inbox cleared, thank you for letting me know

Well I closed the gap with my soldering iron tonight on the Aqua Ram and jumped into the programming. I read everyone's experience in this thread and downloaded the user manual ( read it two, probably three times) trying to get it memorized. First try got rattled, second try changed some things I didn't mean to, third try fixed what I messed up, and fourth try success! Nothing major lowered the lowest mode and lowered the second mode a little. One thing I'm still not understanding is once you add additional presets can you change between different presets in normal operation or do you access programming mode to make that change? Hope I explained that question well enough. Very nice addition to the Mcgizmo lights, like others here would like the see this in a Haiku also. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
    ...like others here would like the see this in a Haiku also. Great job!
    I'm one of the end users who'd jump at the chance to have four programmable levels in my Haiku and would find myself carrying it once again as a direct result.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
    One thing I'm still not understanding is once you add additional presets can you change between different presets in normal operation or do you access programming mode to make that change?

You enter the programming mode. When I switch presets, I go into programming mode, level 1. I select whichever of the three presets I want. After that: click click click click... through the eighteen levels until I get to the end of the programming sequence and then I'm in the preset level I wanted. It doesn't take too long since you can click immediately when the first triple click of each level starts flashing(edit - manual calls it "toggling the power quickly several times") I guess you can also just stop on level 4 and close the window to levels 6-18 and then it just goes to level 5 and done. I just find the mindless speed clicking to seem faster than counting flashes. It took me a few times to do it because I had to think about every step and follow the flow chart but now I switch presets each morning and each night in just seconds - almost without thinking. One thing I found is that preset 1 and preset 3 are the easiest to get to so I use them for my most common settings. Preset 2 takes a little extra time since you have to go to preset 1 or 3 before getting to preset 2. I hope my ramblings make sense and are at least halfway helpful
    Last edited by calflash; 07-31-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks calflash, yes that answered my question. Didn't know if I had overlooked a short cut. I've been going through the motions some more this evening and it's getting more familiar to me.

Awesome. It's kind of fun huh?

If you don't mind sharing your settings, I'd like to know what preset settings you found useful. I am only regularly using two presets so I have to figure out a good idea for my third.

I'm using only one at the moment, haven't really decided on the others yet. What I have is 4 level memory with output set to 2.0 amps. Level 1 is #2, level 2 I lowered two numbers(not sure actual number), 3&4 are default settings. That gives me two usable lower settings and two bright settings when I need to reach out and see something. I grip the bezel head down in the palm of my hand if I need to cycle through without killing my night vision.

Update/to help my fading memory: With the 2.0 amp power setting I lowered level 1 to 1, level 2 to 9, 3&4 at default.
    Last edited by KDM; 08-01-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Oh I do intend on a two level mode, around 100 & 30 lumen levels.

Hi KDM,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Its good to know that you have been able to get the driver set up the way it suits you best. Of course it would have been even better if you hadn't needed 4 tries to get there. Is there anything that you would suggest for the user manual to be more clear with to make it easier?

Calflash explained already how you recall the presets, which is actually something you can do very quickly once you memorized the steps to get there.
    One aspect i have to comment however is the "toggle quickly to leave setup mode". You only have to go through the 5 settings of the so called "Setup level 1", to get to the settings #6 through #18, you have to explicitly change setting #4.

Or have you seen a different behavior on your driver Calflash?

Rush, the user manual explains the steps very well. I was being comical in my post, long days and late nights often leave me a bit cloudy. As with any programmable device repetition is needed to get familiar with the interface. I really like the flexibility of the driver, nicely done.

I am able to exit programming at #5, I would have to change the option at #4 to get to #6.
    Last edited by KDM; 08-03-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast