Angryfox        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HIVE McG converter used in the Aqua line of lights.

Default Re: HIVE McG converter used in the Aqua line of lights.

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    One aspect i have to comment however is the "toggle quickly to leave setup mode". You only have to go through the 5 settings of the so called "Setup level 1", to get to the settings #6 through #18, you have to explicitly change setting #4.

Or have you seen a different behavior on your driver Calflash?
    yea - my light seems to memorize level 4 as open once I have opened it.

Rush, you asked for ideas on how we would do things differently. Setting the brightness level 6-10. Triple flash-setting number(6-10flashes)-display high beam 1.5 sec. for increase-pause-display lower beam for 1.5 sec. decrease. Toggle the switch during either 1.5 second level would advance you to display the lights current brightness then begin to step through the levels. Once you reach the desired level toggle the switch to select it.

This would speed up the amount of time it takes to change brightness levels and also visually see the setting as opposed to a number code. Really enjoying the light and ability to make the multiple setting changes.

Calflash,
    After reviewing the code i believe that you must recall a preset first that has setting #4 set to "Yes" in order for you to then step through the rest of the settings and being shown both the level 1 and level 2 settings. Or do you really see that happen if you simply enter the setup mode and without changing any other settings or loading a preset step through them?
    If it is the former then i understand, as this would be unintentionally possible if you save to a preset after having gone through the level 2 settings during the same "programming session". I'll change the behavior so that the setting #4 is not saved to a preset in the enabled state, as this is not a logical behavior.

KDM,
    i'm glad that you did not have a hard time with the manual, i guess i somewhat missed the irony in your words
    Its great to hear that you are finding the customizability of the driver that useful!

Also a very good suggestion about a ramping mode that steps through the brightness levels to let you change settings #6 to #10. This would certainly be possible and would make changing the output levels by several brightness levels much faster. I will add this to the list of possible additions in future revisions.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

I just picked one of these up in the form of an Aqua Ram 119v. I was talking to Martin about IMR performance. He gave me the clever advice of shooting both and comparing.

So I did just that. Identical camera settings locked in tripod. The first is 4.2v charge level NCR-18650B-3400 and the second is 4.2v charge level US18650VTC5. I could have picked a better backdrop that had less possibility of giving off uneven highlights with differing angles of the light, and I could have locked down the light, but I just made a mark to sit the light each time and the results are so close I feel they are good enough.

A more detailed histogram is available in camera, and they are nearly identical.

I would say this throws out any and all reason to run a lower capacity IMR cell in this light.

Thanks to Martin for thinking up this test.

Kevin

Thanks for the comparison Kevin!

As you have just proven, regular Li-Ion 18650 cells should be able to provide the necessary current to drive the LED at the higher output levels. Going to a higher output current than the 1400 mA stock, there could be a point down on the discharge curve of the cell where it can't supply enough current anymore, but that would probably be at a lower discharge capacity than an IMR cell can provide.

Yeah, I only tried this at 1400 mA.

I doubt I will compare the 119v any higher.

If I do I will post results.

Okay, I feel very dumb, but I can't seem to focus enough to set max brightness to 2.2 amps. I just received a second aquaram head with XML2. Does anyone have a quick step by step to simply change max output to 2.2 amps? That is ALL I want to do. I had a crazy busy day, and I feel like my brain is broken, but I also rfeel like a quick step by step for just this would help.

I got into the settings mode okay. Then I cycled through to where I thought I should be for current settings and then I had no clue what I was doing. I just cycled until the light worked as a light again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Last edited by richstag; 02-04-2015 at 06:39 PM.

My best advise is to print the programming schematic out on paper. It helps me to follow it a lot easier.

I did. Maybe I just need a weekend day. Thanks anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
    My best advise is to print the programming schematic out on paper. It helps me to follow it a lot easier.

Enter programming. Cycle through to level 4. Make sure it's on setting 2.

Cycle from level 6 to 16. Level 16 will be max current setting. Cycle up to 22. Should be two double flashes and two single flashes.

Cycle from 17 to 18 to 5 and pick a preset. Cycle out of 5 and it should recalibrate and voila.

Calflash has outlined the steps correctly, except that it is not necessary to make any changes to the setting 5 (Save preset) as the maximum current applies to all presets. So you can just skip out of programming (toggle fast) after you have set Setting 16 (Maximum current) to 22.
    After you have left programming you will get the calibration sequence the next time you turn on the light and are all set then.

I have followed this and other very helpful members instructions and now my light doesn't even function right. Maybe new versions could incorporate a way to connect to a computer for a GUI that even a non-techy like me can understand.

I finally figured out the max brightness. How many flashes is level 21?? I understood two fast and 9 slow for 19 then it lost me a little and I just guessed.

How do I use setting 18 to restore defaults???'

For some reason my light will cycle level 1,2,3,4 but then not down to 1 again.

Thanks,

Kevin

It only took four hours but now I understand it and fixed it. Sorry for being an idiot and thanks so much to the people that helped.

Thank you for being so patient after all!
    You already figured things out, but to reiterate for everybody else too, the values are signaled with blinks of different speeds, the blinks for the setting number are slightly slower than for the value of a setting. If any of these numbers is 10 or greater, then the digit for the tens (i. e. 1 in this case) is signaled with a quick double blink, not unlike the triple blink showing the beginning and end of the signal block.
    Except for the double blink for numbers >= 10, all this is also illustrated in Fig. 2 of the manual.

You restore defaults by changing the value of setting 18 to "2".
    When your light just went up to level 4 and couldn't be cycled any further you probably have changed the operation mode (setting 2) to "Volatile", which goes back to level 1 when you leave it switched off for more than the toggle period of half a second.

Hope you can enjoy your light now!

Thank you.

I appreciate all the help.

Thank you for being so patient after all!
    You already figured things out, but to reiterate for everybody else too, the values are signaled with blinks of different speeds, the blinks for the setting number are slightly slower than for the value of a setting. If any of these numbers is 10 or greater, then the digit for the tens (i. e. 1 in this case) is signaled with a quick double blink, not unlike the triple blink showing the beginning and end of the signal block.
    Except for the double blink for numbers >= 10, all this is also illustrated in Fig. 2 of the manual.

You restore defaults by changing the value of setting 18 to "2".
    When your light just went up to level 4 and couldn't be cycled any further you probably have changed the operation mode (setting 2) to "Volatile", which goes back to level 1 when you leave it switched off for more than the toggle period of half a second.

Hope you can enjoy your light now!

Is there a video guide for programming these ... ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

Good question Archimedes,
    I made a video introduction to the programming of the driver quite some time ago. I however didn't feel it helped a lot in understanding how it works, that is why i haven't published it.
    I can dig it out and let you guys decide if it is indeed helpful or not.

Took a bit of practice ... ... but I think I got the programming to work.

I found one odd effect of changing to "volatile" memory, though. With this setting, it does always start on low, but I don't seem to be able to cycle past the highest output setting with "short toggles" ?

If I want to go back to low output, I have to either shut it off and wait (briefly), or use a "long toggle" to get out of max output.

Is this expected functioning ?

Enlightened

I am very interesting in ordering this driver/ flashlight - but I don't see a price and I do not see who you order from -Don or Rush

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Matrix

Glad you figured out the programming Archimedes!
    I haven't gotten back with the video yet that i talked about, as it is not only rather difficult to follow but it also is showing an early prototype driver that was using a different short / long toggle sequence to enter programming mode. This obviously could be confusing.

It is indeed intentional that in volatile mode you cannot cycle past the highest brightness level and have to wait for longer than a "toggle short" period to go back to lowest. I'm not sure if the majority would rather expect to be able to cycle modes indefinitely with "toggle shorts"?

Matrix 100,
    The drivers are only available as complete flashlight from Don! Check the thread here on the forum about his current offerings.

Glad you figured out the programming Archimedes!

It is indeed intentional that in volatile mode you cannot cycle past the highest brightness level and have to wait for longer than a "toggle short" period to go back to lowest. I'm not sure if the majority would rather expect to be able to cycle modes indefinitely with "toggle shorts"?
    "Loop" cycling (from, say, L/M/H back around to L) is how the vast majority of multi-mode drivers seem to work.

Yes, there are occasional exceptions, like skipping moonlight after the first pass, or adding strobes / beacons after several loops through the complete cycle.

I just don't think I've ever used a driver before that (intentionally) "sticks" at the top level after a single cycle.

It's not really that inconvenient, once aware that this is expected, but I'm curious to know if there is a particular reason or justification for this feature ?

By the way, I am impressed with the flexibility and options available for programming this driver.

I am now trying to decide exactly how I plan to set up the presets for my AquaRam ...

Also, I had no difficulties programming using the twisty (instead of clicky) switch interface.

Enlightened

Rush

what is the more popular choice AquaMule / AquaRam - or is everybody ordering both

and also what about the LED - XM-L2

Matrix 100

Archimedes,
    This particular behavior was born out of my kind of usage and the first light that a first prototype of the HiveLD was running in: The LS20.
    I found it rather easy to do more toggles than intended when keeping the piston depressed and if that happened i wanted it to stay on the highest level rather than maybe jumping to a low level.

I kept this kind of behavior when we released the HiveLD-P for the Aqua lights. But for a twisty or a McGizmo clicky that operates quite predictably, we could go for the freely cycling interface for both the persistent and volatile mode. Don once mentioned the same as you did by the way.
    Anybody else wanting to chime in?

Matrix 100,
    you should probably ask about this in the Aqua lights thread. It depends on your intended usage if the AquaMule or AquaRam are the better choice.

Archimedes,
    This particular behavior was born out of my kind of usage and the first light that a first prototype of the HiveLD was running in: The LS20.
    I found it rather easy to do more toggles than intended when keeping the piston depressed and if that happened i wanted it to stay on the highest level rather than maybe jumping to a low level.

I kept this kind of behavior when we released the HiveLD-P for the Aqua lights. But for a twisty or a McGizmo clicky that operates quite predictably, we could go for the freely cycling interface for both the persistent and volatile mode. Don once mentioned the same as you did by the way.
    Anybody else wanting to chime in?
    Thanks very much for the explanation, which makes sense, although I agree that the freely cycling mode loop might well be preferred for a twisty switch.

But, wait, did I hear you say ... "LS20 with prototype HiveLD driver"

Well no, i am afraid as far as i can tell the LS20 is not going to come back into production. I just used mine as a host for testing for quite a while and still do except for the last months, since...
    However the HiveLD is going to appear in more of Don's lights...

The question is whether the freely cycling loop also makes more sense in the clicky lights...

However the HiveLD is going to appear in more of Don's lights... ....
    That is big news

.... The question is whether the freely cycling loop also makes more sense in the clicky lights...
    My personal preference would be a freely cycling loop, for both twisty and clicky switches.

I can see how a piston-type switch could benefit from briefly staying "locked" at the top of the loop, though.

Well no, i am afraid as far as i can tell the LS20 is not going to come back into production. I just used mine as a host for testing for quite a while and still do except for the last months, since...

The question is whether the freely cycling loop also makes more sense in the clicky lights...
    Any idea when this might occur?
    Paul Kearsey

It seems that this will generate a lot of interest.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast