ArmyTek        
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights ** Terra versions added**

Flashaholic

Default Re: AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights

Thanks Don!

[Eight hours from first email to shipping notice, you can't ask for better service than that!]

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I definitely plan to come up with a High CRI AquaMule and although not specifically offered at this point, I can build an AquaMule with the Nichia 119V for someone who wants it. I have a prototype AquaMule that hosts two of the 119V in parallel. This is not ideal in terms of driving the LED's because their share of the current is based on their relative Vf's but since the 119V can handle 1400 mA on its own splitting that between a pair, even if unequal, is not approaching any red line. I might end up having a run of MCPCB's for paired 119V's made. I am confident there would be a gain in lumens from running two in parallel over a single LED driven at the same total current but I don't know if that gain would justify the added expense of custom MCPCB's and double the number of LED's.

I would love to see a Cree XM-L High CRI LED but if its CCT is below 4500K then it's a yellow light to me and my aversion to yellow would make it a LED I personally don't care for and that's not something easy to get behind. In my opinion, The XM-L's I am presently working with are cool white in tint but still, white. Not blue. A 3500K LED is yellow to me and I don't care if it has a CRI of 100 which means it matches the spectrum of a yellowish incandescent lamp at 3500K. It's still yellow in my perception. It may be selfish on my part but I want to like what I offer and believe in what I offer. And realistically, I can only offer so much and at this point the range in components I have to fund and keep on hand is getting daunting.

EDIT: The good news is that the Aqua Mule is certainly an easy light to modify.
    Don, did you ever consider an XP-G2 for use in the AquaRam?

It can be driven to the max of 1400ma and its output will be nearly the same as an XM-L2, but the smaller die means that it would have more throw.
    In layman's terms, "theory" means an idea. However "scientific theory" is fact because it requires proof.

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Don, did you ever consider an XP-G2 for use in the AquaRam?

It can be driven to the max of 1400ma and its output will be nearly the same as an XM-L2, but the smaller die means that it would have more throw.
    Yes, I have given it some thought. I haven't ruled it out but it represents a significant increase in confusion, inventory cost and time.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic

Ok so for those of us who aren't using rechargeable batteries, how much of a hit would we take in terms of realizing the potential of this light?

Quote Originally Posted by jemab View Post
    Ok so for those of us who aren't using rechargeable batteries, how much of a hit would we take in terms of realizing the potential of this light?
    You're taking a hit by NOT realizing the potential of this light. How much do you pay for one-and-done CR123's? Sounds like it's time for The Jefferson's: movin' on up!

Quote Originally Posted by jemab View Post
    Note that this particular driver has limited voltage range, optimized for a single Li-Ion cell (only) ....

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4299702
    ... is the archimedes peak

Don, e-mail sent for AquaRam

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    So, all-in-all I'd rate it as McGizmo's most exciting and most all-round offering and an obligatory addition to any self-respecting flashaholic's armoury.
    An endorsement like that makes this light essentially impossible to ignore! It sounds like I'll be adding another McGizmo to the family.
    Here is a list of my lights.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Note that this particular driver has limited voltage range, optimized for a single Li-Ion cell (only) ....

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4299702
    Thanks for the helpful info... It looks like indeed I will need to 'move on up' like awtyd says and get some li-ions

Quote Originally Posted by Light11 View Post
    I share Troy's sentiments,Its ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!
    We have complete darkness in Oregon and I'm going outside for a night walk,my boys are coming
    with me with several other McGizmos to make the AquaRam feel at home
    Took a quick shot before it got dark...

The bezel on the smaller light (PD-S?) is really nice. Care to share where you got it?

The PD is most likely a standard PD (not S), chromed aluminum. I'm guessing Peu on the lens retaining ring? Or possibly RPM?

Vernon,Cary,Dolphin and Matt,

Thank you!
    you are very kind, all the credit goes to Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Beautiful, Light11.
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhighh View Post
    Nice one, Sergio !!
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphincry View Post
    digging the teardrop head, beatiful light!
    Matt,

Glad I can help
    And congratulations on the acquisition,This is the Best light out there IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by mattp View Post
    Nice photos!
    Light11, you've made me change my order to an etched clip, it looks great The polished clip on the PD looks nice too.

Thank you.
    IIRC its one of the few slotted bezels by Don and coated by Modamag.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmorgan999 View Post
    The bezel on the smaller light (PD-S?) is really nice. Care to share where you got it?
    Quote Originally Posted by arewethereyetdad View Post
    The PD is most likely a standard PD (not S), chromed aluminum. I'm guessing Peu on the lens retaining ring? Or possibly RPM?
    Dad,
    Not a standard,its a Chrome Mclux III PD Nitrous

Thanks Don

Email sent for AquaRam with tapped clip.

Edit: PayPal sent.
    Last edited by yoyoman; 10-27-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmorgan999 View Post
    An endorsement like that makes this light essentially impossible to ignore! It sounds like I'll be adding another McGizmo to the family.
    You won't regret it Dave. These lights are enormously satisfying in every respect.
    In layman's terms, "theory" means an idea. However "scientific theory" is fact because it requires proof.

Enormously Satisfying. That sums it up nicely, Daniel. Solid, in a way not even the 27LT is. Smoothly finished, yet never ever going to just slip out of your hand. A nice middle ground size wise, fits in my pants pocket without being too much to carry. Just got back from my first dog walk with it, mainly on the lower two levels. Signature Don beam quality, and a nice pure white tint. No blue, no purple, no green. I'll let it break in a bit before deciding on removing an o-ring, one handed operation is doable but not easy. I now have a sense of why those who were fortunate enough to have a Ti 27LT prototype pass through their hands were so excited. I've owned a few 27LT's, and the handling is similar, but the Ti is just a whole different feeling. Kind of the same as the difference between a McLux III PD and a Ti PD. Both great, and if you never held a Ti one you wouldn't know what you were missing... Same here. Home run, Don.
    I love the Mini-Makai head design elements, at least that was my impression of the look, seeing it now in person.

Oh, by the way, four well-chosen drive levels. I'll let others who dive into the programming comment on the driver. I think I'll be leaving mine alone. High is substantial, and the lower levels are more than adequate for my needs.

Can anyone post a picture of the McGizmo family? I'd love to see the size of the Aqua next to a Haiku or Maiki.

Mine is set to arrive Monday, which oddly enough, is my birthday. Feels more like Christmas though.
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Enormously Satisfying. That sums it up nicely, Daniel. Solid, in a way not even the 27LT is. Smoothly finished, yet never ever going to just slip out of your hand. A nice middle ground size wise, fits in my pants pocket without being too much to carry. Just got back from my first dog walk with it, mainly on the lower two levels. Signature Don beam quality, and a nice pure white tint. No blue, no purple, no green. I'll let it break in a bit before deciding on removing an o-ring, one handed operation is doable but not easy. I now have a sense of why those who were fortunate enough to have a Ti 27LT prototype pass through their hands were so excited. I've owned a few 27LT's, and the handling is similar, but the Ti is just a whole different feeling. Kind of the same as the difference between a McLux III PD and a Ti PD. Both great, and if you never held a Ti one you wouldn't know what you were missing... Same here. Home run, Don.
    I love the Mini-Makai head design elements, at least that was my impression of the look, seeing it now in person.

Oh, by the way, four well-chosen drive levels. I'll let others who dive into the programming comment on the driver. I think I'll be leaving mine alone. High is substantial, and the lower levels are more than adequate for my needs.
    I couldn't agree more with you summary Greg. Its great to finally own a Ti version of the 27LT with an improved driver.

I am a tad curious to see how much brighter 2200ma on max looks than 1400ma but not sufficiently to try the programming. The fact that it can last 80 minutes on 1400ma without a significant drop in output or producing excessive heat seems reason enough to keep it this way.

Daniel, et all. You guys are making it really hard to not pull the trigger on an Aqua Ram. I have a 27LT-S that I upgraded with a XML2 and the beam is just wonderful. I can only imagine that beam with the Ti host, a more flexible driver and more than 2x the drive current. The 27LT had a max of 1A drive.

I know it's only a matter of time, but I need to appropriate the funds first.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    I know it's only a matter of time, but I need to appropriate the funds first.
    Sam here Sean. I've had a lot of pent-up demand for funding of other projects, and so I took a flashlight-buying hiatus. I'd like to wait a month or so to buy this, but I have no idea how long the run is likely to last. Hopefully Don will post if availability is getting low.

Vernon- Here ya go... Aqua Ram, AA Haiku, 1x123 Haiku, 1x123 Mule. Second pic Aqua Ram and 1x123 Haiku in my average-sized hand... Sorry, no Makai.

That's exactly what I hoped to check out. Really appreciate that, Scout24. Beautiful lights.

Josh
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Flashaholic

I apologise if this is a stupid question, (or if it was asked somewhere else in the thread), but Don, is it possible to run these on a 1 x 18350 for a smaller form factor? I realise it would require a shorter battery tube... Just wondering if 18350 can be used with the driver.

My lights...

Flashaholic

Thanks Scout24, those are great photos; they help pass the time waiting for the mailman

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by persco View Post
    is it possible to run these on a 1 x 18350 for a smaller form factor? I realise it would require a shorter battery tube... Just wondering if 18350 can be used with the driver.
    An 18350 puts out the same voltage as an 18650 - it just has less total capacity. As such, it seems to me that the driver wouldn't know the difference.

Flashaholic

^^ that's what I thought. I'd love an Aqua Ram but I really only like a smaller size; 18350 tube would be perfect... [hint hint hint, Don]...

My lights...

Email sent for AquaRam with tapped clip.

Thank you!
    Last edited by zoran; 10-28-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Now that looks like darn fine lights. Can't wait to get mine, only kinda broke right now.

Were these machined from 6-4 Ti alloy or CP titanium ?
    Bead Blasting McGizmos - PM disabled, email aoc.paypal (at) gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ale View Post

Were these machined from 6-4 Ti alloy or CP titanium ?
    6-4
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast