Prometheus        

Thread: Best Single AA Flashlight Recommendation.....???

Default Best Single AA Flashlight Recommendation.....???

I do not post alot on here, but have browsed and read many posts here.

I EDC a Surefire E2L AA Outdoorsman. It is an amazing light and I absolutely love it. I bought it to double as an EDC and to also use for hunting and such as well. As much as I love it, its a tad long for my pocket. If they made a single AA just like it, I would be all over it...!!

Who makes the Best/Highest Quality/Durable Single AA light that I can keep in my pocket a little easier....!!!

I DO NOT want any fancy cr123 and all the other fancy little short life batteries. I lived through Hurricane Sandy here in eastern PA. We did not get hit as bad as others, but did not have power for over a week. ALL D batteries were extinct as well as all the other fancy batteries. The ONLY battery that was Everywhere was AA. Through this horrible experience, I saw what was available and what was not. I can buy a pack of AA that will last me Years for cheap, while only I can only buy 1 or 2 of the fancy ones for the same $$. I do not wanna get into a debate about my thoughts here, Just looking for some advise on the Best and most Durable Single AA Light.......???

Thanks In Advance....!!!

Default Re: Best Single AA Flashlight Recommendation.....???

A search of CPF for "Single AA Flashlight Recommendation" Search limited to the last twelve months.

Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 10-21-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Flashaholic*

There are some good recommendations in this recent thread for a durable AA light, including the Malkoff MDC AA, Peak El Capitan or Logan 17500, MBI Zeus.. etc

Flashaholic

Right now the brightest single AA light in commercial production is the Zebralight SC52 at 280 floody lumens. Its also well constructed, very efficient, has a side clicky, excellent user interface, and is extremely compact. On the down side, its not a simple userinterface and only offers a 1 year warranty.

You might look at the EagleTac D25A (its available in Aluminum or Titanium, and XPG2 or XML2 emitter [throwier or floodier) and cool or neutral white at around 140 lumens depending on emitter). Its a tail reverse clicky, nice user interface, well built, 10 year warranty (on most parts - 1 year on others)

You might also look at a Foursevens Quark Pro QPA. XPG2 emitter 109 lumens, reverse tail clicky nice user interface, very well built, nice accessories, full 10 year warranty, easy parts and accessories availability.

All of these lights will take conventional AA Alkaline's (not recommended except in a pinch as they can leak and worst battery life), or Sanyo Eneloop NiMh rechargeable (inexpensive and rechargeable and don't leak and much higher capacity) or L91 primary Lithiums (light, super long shelf life, and highest capacity but expensive).

Jetbeam BA10. Uses one AA and very inexpensive. I was ate up with CR batteries and probably have enough to power a football stadium. Your comments about the availability of certain batteries during Sandy has reassured my decision for getting some AA lights. This is not a single AA but uses four is the Nitecore EA4. Between the BA10 and the EA4 this gives me the AA battery options. I use eneloop rechargeables. Also have a car charger and a solar charger for the AA's if needed. Just a thought......

Quote Originally Posted by jimboutilier View Post
    Right now the brightest single AA light in commercial production is the Zebralight SC52 at 280 floody lumens. Its also well constructed, very efficient, has a side clicky, excellent user interface, and is extremely compact. On the down side, its not a simple userinterface and only offers a 1 year warranty.

You might look at the EagleTac D25A (its available in Aluminum or Titanium, and XPG2 or XML2 emitter [throwier or floodier) and cool or neutral white at around 140 lumens depending on emitter). Its a tail reverse clicky, nice user interface, well built, 10 year warranty (on most parts - 1 year on others)

You might also look at a Foursevens Quark Pro QPA. XPG2 emitter 109 lumens, reverse tail clicky nice user interface, very well built, nice accessories, full 10 year warranty, easy parts and accessories availability.

All of these lights will take conventional AA Alkaline's (not recommended except in a pinch as they can leak and worst battery life), or Sanyo Eneloop NiMh rechargeable (inexpensive and rechargeable and don't leak and much higher capacity) or L91 primary Lithiums (light, super long shelf life, and highest capacity but expensive).
    jim,
    Did you actually measure the output of the Zebralight? OR are you just taking THEIR word for it?

It seems that many really like Zebralights, and I have often pointed them out for others to consider. I am pretty new to all this and I have heard some rumblings about them overstating their performance, and level of output.

reppans has some interesting comparison numbers for the three lights you mentioned above. see here
    If I interpret his data properly, the Z light is perhaps 25% brighter for a short period of time, but degrades in output 125% as quickly, as the others.
    Also, magically the eagletac 75 lumens are equal to 107 Zebralight lumens. Is the SC52 using smaller lumens?

I don't know... I wish all products were reported equally.

I would highly reccomend a Malkoff MDC AA as I know from personal experience they are just about the best out there!

Take care,
    Kauto

I've been a Fenix fan for a while... Though many consider them quite.. outdated, I dare suggest them again Today I got my new LD12 and the stated run times are great for me. I won't even test them, it's just enough for me to know it will last much longer than the average flashlight.
    ~ ~ ~ Why did God create the night? So that we can use our flashlights. ~ ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    jim,

reppans has some interesting comparison numbers for the three lights you mentioned above. see here
    If I interpret his data properly, the Z light is perhaps 25% brighter for a short period of time, but degrades in output 125% as quickly, as the others.
    Wouldn't a degradation of 125% be less than total blackness?

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    Wouldn't a degradation of 125% be less than total blackness?
    I guess my math is wrong, help me out.

If lumens are increased by 25% there has to be an increase in demand on the battery. That increased demand would result in a shorter run-time.
    And a more rapidly decreasing output curve to 50% of its initial output. Does that make sense? idk how to present the percentage.

Flashaholic

jim,
    Did you actually measure the output of the Zebralight? OR are you just taking THEIR word for it?

It seems that many really like Zebralights, and I have often pointed them out for others to consider. I am pretty new to all this and I have heard some rumblings about them overstating their performance, and level of output.

Also, magically the eagletac 75 lumens are equal to 107 Zebralight lumens. Is the SC52 using smaller lumens?

I don't know... I wish all products were reported equally.
    I am quoting manufacturers specified ANSI numbers and did NOT verify these with my own calibrated spheres for lumens or light meters for lux/cd. But I do have each of these lights (and many similarly rated lights from various manufacturers) and to the naked eye I would not dispute any of the quoted numbers.

That said ANSI numbers are based on small samples of large batches while ANSI LED bins have a pretty large brightness and efficiency range. Not to mention things like programming and thermal management that can vary output over time in wildly different ways while still being truthful to the published ANSI numbers. And of course our eyes don't do well at measuring intensity and are even worse at quantity (lumens).

The bottom line is that manufactures ratings and peoples reviews can only help so much in choosing a light. It can help you narrow down your choices somewhat. But ultimately you have to take a chance and buy one (or a series of chances as you find your early choices are not to your liking).

My experience is that there are a lot of factors more important than maximum output in choosing a light you will be happy with.

It's hard to beat the Zebra for a compact AA light to ride in the pocket. (Well, unless you want to go with a twisty, like the Olight I2.) I read a modder's opinion the other day to the effect that Zebralight build quality is right up there, close to that of Surefire. And it gives you great flexibility with some nice low levels, which will help if you find yourself in a pinch for more AA cells.
    Last edited by Rexlion; 10-23-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Hello,

I carry an Eagletac D25C titanium with an XML2 in my pocket and an Eagletac D25A Titanium with an XPG2 in a beltpouch (with my wallet and cell phone) for back up or if I want a bit more throw. I prefer the shorter battery format in my pocket. I am in agreement with your observations an battery availability in a disaster (also a good reason for multiple flashlights using different battery formats). Having the multiple modes extends runtime, using the lowest level necessary. I really like the user interface of the Eagletac D25 clicky series. You could use rechargeable batteries such as eneloops (due to their low self discharge) and keep the disposable AA lithiums for backup due to their long shelf life. Even in just the AA format you still have a number of options. Thrunite Saber 1A is a good 1AA twist on/off with a low, med, high using an XPG2. Something like that might serve well as a backup to what ever you decide on.

Good luck with your search
    Boyd

I guess my math is wrong, help me out.

If lumens are increased by 25% there has to be an increase in demand on the battery. That increased demand would result in a shorter run-time.
    And a more rapidly decreasing output curve to 50% of its initial output. Does that make sense? idk how to present the percentage.
    LOL, I have no clue, was just busting your chops.

I professionally take care of human beings, technical stuff makes me dizzy!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by wordwalker3 View Post
    Thrunite Saber 1A is a good 1AA twist on/off with a low, med, high using an XPG2.
    I second the ThruNite Saber 1A. It's a solid and small light. I installed on it a Streamlight Stylus Pro clip after stretching it slightly (and adding a little epoxy ), and a short lanyard, and the light is now my fave EDC light, especially with the occasional use of a 14500 battery. I haven't tried the Eagletac D25 clicky series yet because I prefer forward clickies, but I might one day. The twisty on the Saber is perfect for me because it is silent and the light has memory mode.
    The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by. - Felix Adler