Prepared for the Snowstorm?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much of a storm, depends on where you live. Only 2 - 5 inches expected here. Probably won't get a power outage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Other than that, we are prepared.

I figured I might as well start a thread on the snowstorm, so everyone can check in.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question for the "SnowBirds".

In the mountains of Kalifornia, the CHP requires chains (or 4WD/Snowtires) at the first sign of snow. When I drove (a little bit) in New Jersey and Canada, obviously nobody used chains on the main highways (and the cars I rented were not 4WD).

I had heard that this was the CHP's way of keeping everyone going 25 MPH (requiring chains). In Canada it was neat--because everyone was going ~70 MPH, the wheel tracks were completely dry--but you sure had to be careful changing lanes due to ribbons of ice/snow in the middle and between lanes (and I saw a fair number of vehicles in the ditches during my trip).

And, by the way, what kind of chains (cables, plastic, chains, brand?) do you recommed? I probably will get a pair this season to take our kids up to the mountains for some snow fun in a front wheel drive Honda van.

-Bill (SF Bay Area)

Screehopper

Enlightened
I drove up from Los Angeles to Oregon last December and I had no problems in the snow. Despite the CHP making people put on chains along the 5 near the Oregon border. The CHP waved me by since I had 4wd (permanent 4-wheel drive to be exact) in my Land Rover Disco 5-speed manual.

I personally carry Rud Chains, they have a diamond pattern and work well in offroad and onroad situations when the need arises. And they're easy to put on. They have models for passenger vehicles too, but in my case I have the Grip 4x4s.

http://www.rudchain.com/snow

Bill.H

Enlightened
They still don't know how much we're going to get here (Western Maine), looks like a minimum of 8", lots more if the storm shifts north. Most of it will pass below us, but the in latest forecast (4 EST) they admit they're still not sure of the track.

BB, I don't see too many people using chains here, but our plow drivers are so good* it's not usually necessary unless you're on a really rural road and it's an unexpected storm. I drive a 2WD F-150 with BFG All-Terrain TA's on it and a posi rear. A few hundred pounds of sand in the far back for weight has been all I've ever needed. Last year I had snow that lasted 100 days, the year before we had over 100". To offset that, the summers here are PERFECT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Rarely even need A/C - but personally I can't handle anything over 85. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif <- that's Burning, not Mad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Last year the local garage of the DOT (the guys who plow Rt. 95) won the National Championships of Snowplowing. Coincidentally, the final team they beat was from the mountains in CA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supposed to be around a foot here, if you average the reports. In fact, they seem to keep increasing the numbers. I'm pretty well prepared, since I started a couple of days ago.

Last Winter we had over 100" in the Albany area where I was living. I'm definitely more prepared this Winter, since I got stuck 4 times in the last one. Got snow cables in the trunk, tow strap, metal shovel, sand, ice melter, and a duffle bag with tons of clothes/blankets, and a couple litres of water.

Oops, forgot flashlights!! Thanks Charles! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got metal studded snow tires for the winter. They work great, especially on ice! Havent gotten stuck yet <knock on wood>!

Empath

Flashaholic
Studded tires? Yech! Here they're finally phasing them out. It's not that they are ineffective, but they destroy the roads. I'm not against them being legal, you understand. I just think they ought to put about a $1000 per tire tax on them to repair the roads they chew up.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody ever try those tires that use crushed walnut shells instead of metal studs for traction?

Mike

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
The National Weather Service says my area will get relatively pummelled:
[ QUOTE ]
THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR A WIDESPREAD 6 TO 12 INCH SNOWFALL WITH THE HEAVIEST CORRIDORS RECEIVING AS MUCH AS 12 TO 18 INCHES.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wooohooo!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I checked & filled the snowblower last month (+ fuel stabilizer), all my lights are charged, and I've got boxes-o-batts for the nonrechargeys. If it all goes bad then I've got wood for the fireplace. Bring it on!

But then again, because I'm the one with a huge snowblower and I'm a sympathetic person, I'll be doing not only my own driveway but as with last year I'll be doing 3 neighbor's driveways too. I'll simply don my bike helmet with HID light and get to it early in the a.m. if we get a lot.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
please say o please say there will be no snow in new egland for the football game.my dolphins are going there n they stink n cold weather ,and snow i might as well not watch game

Brock

Flashaholic
Oh for snow tires you can't beat Nokian's I have the Hakka Q's. I have a set of tires for summer and the Hakka Q's on a different set of rims for winter. I think with the Q's I could put a plow on the front. We used to have studded here, but they are actually really bad on dry pavement. You car acts almost like it is on ice.

The crushed walnuts tires are suppose to be really good, but it is only in the top portion of the tire so they only last a season or two with the walnut part, then turn in to a more all season tire, still pretty good though. Much cheaper then the Nokians.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If it ever even DUSTS snow here, this town will colapse!

I drove my buddies Dodge 250 Diesel up in Chicago last year on some slush and even ice on parking lots and it weren't no big deal.

But then I've got this driving stuff NAILED!

Around here we worry about hurricanes and tornados!!!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie - MmmwahaHAAAaa! Yes!

Yes, it will SNOW in New England! There's 4 inches already around my house in Connecticut, and I just did my first shoveling. Bring on the warm weather boys from Miami! Rev up the Zamboni! If the Fins lose, the AFC East is Done!

Patriots 24, Dolphins 20

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well even if miami loses i think they get wild card since tennesee lost last week.i will never forget the miami paty game when they bought out snow plow for new egland for the fieild goal lol i say miami 31 to new england 28

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I "think" studded tires are illegal here in Massachusettes. I hear wild reports from 6 inches to more then two feet in much of Southern New England. If the storm carries on like it is predicted to, then the running game will become important and Miami certainly has a better running game then New England. However it is December and we know how Miami does in December. Miami has no one to blame but themselves for losing the first game against the Pats.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
latest weather update: 12 -18" by Saturday night for Southern New England.

The thing that worries me about this game is that if anyone owes anyone something, the Dolphins owe the Patriots, going back to the last game of last year when the Dolphins missed the playoffs in the last moments of the Pats game.

Bill.H

Enlightened
Now it looks like the game will be played in near-blizzard conditions. This may make the '82 (was it that long ago?) game look like a flurry.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
snow o bpy this game will at least be fun to watch. i dont like the patroits at all lol.but i guess i like em more then bullalo and the 49 ers

Latest posts