Headlight and taillight for night riding?

psychokilla

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for options on headlight and taillight. As of now I am planning on getting a Nite Rider Lumina 700 and an extra light, like a smaller flashlight. Is that a good way to go or is the Lumina 700 more than enough? I will be riding night as well as day, streets only.

How about taillights? Have no options at the moment. Would like something bright enough to be seen that is not expensive maybe under $50 but definitely nothing over $100.

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking in to the same.

When the weather starts to get warmer for me I'm going to seriously look in to getting the following:

• Front Light: Philips Saferide (in black)

I don't immediately think of Philips when it comes to bike lights but this one seems to be very well thought out for city commuting which is perfect for me.​

• Tail Light: Portland Design Works Danger Zone Tail Light
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00435IPFK/?tag=cpf0b6-20

This one looks like a good tail light that's sufficiently bright.​

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
As to "bike light" ...
:rolleyes:
... in my experience most anyone asking for that, has a certain looking "product" in mind and is not open to the obvious (and better) alternative.
;)

Because all those "real bike lights" - like the NiteRider You mentioned - are what, when reduced to their very basic?
--> flashlights! Nothing else.
So how come anyone can think Bike parts makers suddenly make better Flashlights, than real flashlight makers?
Let alone the typically ridiculous high prices
:rolleyes:

but, as always, I ll give my advice: use Your favorite flashlight with a handlebar holder.
It is tested and proven, You know how to use it, You know how long it runs, have all the necessary equipment, ...

tail light: I use a cheapo one, found in a bike shop. Size of a box of cigaretts, red reflector with led red surrounding

PS: everything removed from the bike at day

markr6

Flashaholic
I agree with yellow on the flashlight. I like something with a nice wide spot or somewhat floody without blinding drivers is perfect. I still use a bike-specific red blinker on the back though. It's a Cateye LD-130 Red which has 3 LEDs. I use the blinking function, but it also has a solid red and random blinking mode. I think it was only $10 or so.

SlappyPappy

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking in to the same.

• Tail Light: Portland Design Works Danger Zone Tail Light
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00435IPFK/?tag=cpf0b6-20

This one looks like a good tail light that's sufficiently bright.​

I've been using this one all summer. It's a great little light with a unique flashing pattern. Its weakness is that the batteries are accessed by bending 2 plastic clips out of the way. They will certainly break long before the light itself fails.

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
I agree with yellow on the flashlight. I like something with a nice wide spot or somewhat floody without blinding drivers is perfect. I still use a bike-specific red blinker on the back though. It's a Cateye LD-130 Red which has 3 LEDs. I use the blinking function, but it also has a solid red and random blinking mode. I think it was only $10 or so.

I think the key to this statement is "without blinding drivers"... The last thing you want to do is get a light that will be potentially dangerous to other drivers or cyclists. With the high lumen output of flashlights today it wouldn't be too difficult to do. That being said, I think your choice will largely depend on where you ride.

If you're riding around a city then you definitely want to be careful about using a regular flashlight mounted to the handlebars, even if you do mount it pointed towards the street it could still be very bright for oncoming traffic (depending on the flashlight you get). If you do trail riding then I think your options would be more open but then again from what I hear bar mounted flashlights don't do that well for trail riding because they usually move around too much.

Anyway, for me I am looking for something for city riding... and IMO the point of a front handlebar light is for safety and to illuminate the street in front of you enough so that you can avoid potholes/etc. Also, I wanted to be sure to get something that would be safe for oncoming traffic and other people on the road... which after lots of research, led me to the Philips Saferide light. I don't actually own one yet since it's starting to get cold where I am and won't be riding much at night but once it starts to get warmer outside I plan on getting one right away.

For those interested the review that convinced me is here:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/philips-saferide-led-bike-light-2012-mtbr-lights-shootout

carrot

Flashaholic
Right now my riding setup is a Knog Blinder 4 front light and a Planet Bike Superflash.

So far the Superflash has been a favorite of mine for years but it seems like more manufacturers are finally putting power LEDs in their rear blinkies.

As for the Knog Blinder 4, I like that it is rechargeable with its own built-in USB plug but I wish it were brighter and more visible from the side. Still looking for something better at a reasonable price point. It also sometimes has the tendency to unclip... it hasn't fallen off yet but the locking mechanism sucks.

psychokilla

Newly Enlightened
That Xeccon Geinea looks great. Now I do not know which lighting system I like lol. Ill keep doing some more research on these lights. Thanks for the replies everyone :)