Fenix PD35, bit underwhelmed for AR15 mount light

pearlpower

Newly Enlightened
First post, but long time lurker. Thank you everyone for the wealth of information. Received a while back and recently mounted a Fenix PD35 on my AR which replaced an Ultrafire C8. Have to admit, I am not impressed. Spill is good on the Fenix of course, just is not very bright overall, or perhaps I am expecting too much. These are with the batteries that came with the PD35 from Amazon-not Panasonic which I do have on order along with a TK75. I do have a quick video below comparing the lights and also a few other lights I have (TK41, Ebay 85w) Concerned here with the Fenix PD35, looking for opinions on a light with similar beam characteristics yet a bit brighter. I realize better batteries may help, however comparing to the Ultrafire with the same batteries, the PD35 appears a bit dim. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k95ygX7z6jI

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be that you just need a light with more throw. I just got a PD35 and it is very floody. I am not sure how far away that swing set was in your back yard, but the PD35 lights up our backyard like it was daylight! Our yard is pretty small though. Your PD35 seems very dim in the video. How well does it light up things that are a bit closer?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi it might look a little dim because it is so floody where as you tend to notice when a light has a defined hotspot.
i would try a ceiling bounce test - hold both lights facing the ceiling near your ears ( behind your eyes ! )
and switch between the too, it will be very easy to compare overall brightness this way by looking at the room around you as you do this.

pearlpower

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the responses, the palm in the corner is 28yds away, lens slightly zoomed in. I'm thinking perhaps I received a defective PD35 and will try another one.

Razzle

Enlightened
My PD35, with Orbtronic Panasonic protected 3400's lights up my back yard better than that. I'm very impressed.

Doesn't look to me like you're getting Turbo? Defective light or better batteries?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what I have mounted on my patrol rifle in an Elzetta mount.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-VIDEO-BEAMSHOTS

I had an Armytek Predator 2.5 which also had great throw but that was a very heavy light. The Eagletac has almost the same throw, more lumens, and a bigger hotspot, too. In addition, the Eagletac is very lightweight and I barely notice it is there. I have one of these on my Mossberg 590 as well.

First post, but long time lurker. Thank you everyone for the wealth of information. Received a while back and recently mounted a Fenix PD35 on my AR which replaced an Ultrafire C8. Have to admit, I am not impressed. Spill is good on the Fenix of course, just is not very bright overall, or perhaps I am expecting too much. These are with the batteries that came with the PD35 from Amazon-not Panasonic which I do have on order along with a TK75. I do have a quick video below comparing the lights and also a few other lights I have (TK41, Ebay 85w) Concerned here with the Fenix PD35, looking for opinions on a light with similar beam characteristics yet a bit brighter. I realize better batteries may help, however comparing to the Ultrafire with the same batteries, the PD35 appears a bit dim. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k95ygX7z6jI

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
For weapon lights: xp-g2 for handguns, xm-l2 for shotguns, xp-e2 for rifles.
But lux is better at determining throw and perceived brightness.
I suggest swapping out the pd35 for the new tk22 special edition (grey one)

pearlpower

Newly Enlightened

Ordered the TK22, like the fact it is compatible with my existing and mounted pressure switch. Shall see how it works out. Thanks for the post & recommendation.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

What all is different about the special edition? I see a black one with seemingly the same specs, output, runtime etc.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's neutral white, other than that just the anodizing colour is different.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a real weaponlight system that could handle the recoil of even a shotgun. That rules out all flashlights with driver PCB at the + terminal of the battery. Let's quote David Chow of foursevens:

the G5 and X7 were designed from ground up to be a
weapon-mount light. It's dimensions and it's unique industry-first
battery clamping mechanism that supports both 2xcr123a and 1x18650 and
the optional digital remote switch tailcap were all part of the weapon
mount design. As far as field testing, we've put thousands of rounds
with a rifle mounted with the G5 without issue.

Whats important is that you cinch down the tailcap tightly before use.
That secures the battery with the body of the light and ensures that
the battery doesn't produce a "hammer effect" found in other lights
that suspend the battery between springs. That could destroy your
battery inside the light possibly causing a problem with the entire
light. We completely solved that problem with our unique design that
accommodates both 2xcr123a and 1x18650.

-David