SF M6 strange incident

batman

Enlightened
Last night I was taking 2 cells out of my M6 to put into my E2E since I'm running low on CR123s. With 4 cells then remaining in my M6 magazine, I put the magazine back into the M6 and screwed the tailcap down,..accidentally went past the witness marks and the MN-20 lamp activated. After about 2 seconds I turned it back off,..now wondering if that might have damaged the lamp assembly or the battery magazine. Any thoughts on that? I'm surprised it even worked!

Brad

carrot

Flashaholic
You've just discovered a secret of the M6. The M6 runs two parallel sets of 3 serial batteries.

This also means that for extra runtime you can use an M3T bulb in place of the M6 bulbs...

batman

Enlightened
Yeah, I have the best of all worlds for incans IMO. The original M6 guardian and the E2E executive elite. I actually ran the M3T LA in my M6 for a few years with decent results.

batman

Enlightened
Yeah I think the M6 and E2E were Surefire's best designs. I had a few A2 Aviators in white with the lumens factory unfrosted LA. I should have kept them but I'm trying to reduce my load of gear down to bare bones essentials.

M3T LA in the M6 works for some, others not so lucky and the lamps die early. I finally decided the stock MN20 LA is safer to run, brighter AND covered under warranty unconditionally.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting - can anyone estimate run time on just 4 primaries in the M6?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting - can anyone estimate run time on just 4 primaries in the M6?

M6 battery magazine will work with either one set of 3 cells or 2 sets of cells. So even if you install 4 cells, it will work with first set of 3 and 4th cell will remain without load.
Running a MN20 with such set up (3 cells in series) will cause underdriving, underperformance and waste batteries.