How sturdy is the tripod mount in the TM26?

STiFTW

Newly Enlightened
I am considering mounting this light to my bike for some night time single track rides via a Manfrotto Super Clamp (to the bike) and the tripod mount (on the light), but after taking a closer look at the light it appears the tripod threads on the light are a press-in fitting. Before I go and put some pretty high stress on it, I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts as to how durable the tripod mount in this light is.

luyMX5b.jpg

Last edited:

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
The tripod mount looks like it isnt meant to support anything other than being stationary on a tripod. I dont know what single track biking is, but I wouldnt ride over a pothole let alone a offroad mt. biking trail (again dont know what single track is) with that thing being the lone security of a decently heavy light. If night biking is a big part of what you do, I think affixing the TM26 via its tripod mount is a very bad idea.

Last edited:

STiFTW

Newly Enlightened
The tripod mount looks like it isnt meant to support anything other than being stationary on a tripod. I dont know what single track biking is, but I wouldnt ride over a pothole let alone a offroad mt. biking trail with that thing being the lone security of a decently heavy light. If night biking is a big part of what you do, I think affixing the TM26 via its tripod mount is a very bad idea.
That is about the same conclusion I was coming to ... well time for some more innovation.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not using quarter inch threads, but the new Fenix bike flashlight mount is surprisingly good. I don't think you could fit a huge light like that TM26 in it obviously, but I bought it for my dad along with an E25 and he LOVES it. Before that I had upgraded his mini-mag to a niteize drop in and before that he had a normal mini-mag so the E25 is really blasting for him. It's actually a great bike light as it's quite throwy for being a 2aa light.

Anyway, I'm going to get one for myself soon and see if I can use somewhat larger lights in it. I'm afraid 2 18650 lights (long lights) would bounce around to much, but it might be wide enough (the mount) for something like a TK35 with the batteries side by side.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
someone had posted a photo of the tm15 or tm26 with the press-fitted threads coming off after stationary use.
hilarious.

and on a bike ride, if the threads don't come off, then the screw in the threads might break or deform.

Latest posts