Went beserk - bought a bunch of LEDs!

Stainz

Enlightened
After 36.5 yr, I bought another home. It's a 'garden home' with some upgraded features - and ~12 yr old. It has high ceilings - several tray ceilings - with fan-mounted lights, can lights, flush lights, etc. Most are hard to get to with a chair and require a ladder. We hadn't replaced countertops or flooring, so we literally had some money to 'burn'. I searched local stores for LED bulbs, buying and testing a few el-cheapos from Lowes & HD. The one that seemed to fill all requirements the closest was the cheapest - the EcoSmart 40W A19 480L 2700K bulb - 2/$14.97! I was able to recycle some 'test' subjects - mainly CREE 40 & 60W A19's but also a couple of PAR30/40 60/65W reflectors in specialty desk lamps. I bought 25 blister packs of the 40W EcoSmart 2/$15 bulbs - fifty bulbs - and put them everywhere. The result was amazing - the light was just as warm and appeared to be as bright. Even the two dimmer circuits, the kitchen pots and breakfast nook chandelier, behaved acceptably. The predominant bulbs removed were clear 60W 130V incandescents, although a few CFLs and the 60/65W reflector bulbs were included. I kept a few, but gave most to my in-laws. Total expenditure with tax was just over five hundred smackers. The main rationale was simple - this is my retirement home and I don't want to have to pay a neighbor's grandson to climb a ladder to change a ceiling light. The economy appealed to me as well. I worried more over the kitchen ceiling pots, but their built-in white reflectors were ideally sized with a large enough opening around the socket base to promote good convection current flow and cooling. The bulbs looked as though they belonged there! Time will tell. Until I have my first failure, I will continue to count my blessings - and money saved on my electric bill. Last night, as my wife soaked in the tub and I watched TV, I noted nine of the 40W LEDs around the house were on - careless, but at 6w each, that's only 54W. Two bookcases in the LR have five nick nacks lit by 7.5W incandescent night light bulbs and a Lava Lamp with a 40W incandescent - totaling 77.5W - and not much light. I'll keep you apprised.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only had 8 bulbs to replace in my apartment this last summer, but I still get a small thrill every time I turn on a light. I'd say your $500 was well spent. Enjoy!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about the 'correct' upgrade procedure to LEDs. I think 25% per year, so when new and improved [efficiency, CCT, CRI] ones come out, you can trickle down the older ones to lesser used locations.
But your situation is one shot, one kill.

I tried some G25 replacements for the bathroom [went back to Costco], and I think you need 90+ CRI there.