Who buys a Surefire UB3T Invictus??

Stainz

Enlightened
I am serious! Who buys the Invictus - and what do you use it for? It is a work of techno-art, IMHO, and a real quality piece with lots of interesting features. It is large - too big for a traditional 'bug-out-bag', for example. Too power hungry - three CR123s at a time would get expensive. To EDC it would require a belt-mounted sheath/holster - no pocket carry. I know why I bought mine - I got a deal on it from a local dealer. I'm just wondering what duty to assign mine to. Car carry seems unlikely - it probably won't fit in my Jeep's glove box or center bin. Help! Well, it made one heck of an 'early' Christmas present from my wife.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I think it will continue to appeal to those looking for a high performance light but are dedicated to lithium primaries rather than li-ion rechargables.

geisto

Newly Enlightened
Well made, good function, SF warranty, and it looks cool. Not really a EDC light but it's viable as a backup light stored in a backpack or display on your work desk.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it will continue to appeal to those looking for a high performance light but are dedicated to lithium primaries rather than li-ion rechargables.

And, a lot of us use it with two 17500 rechargeables, it works great on that power source. My early UB3T is too much of a spotlight for general use but it is terrific for spotting game in the back forty.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, use my Surefire UB3T with 17500 batteries. I used it around 3:00 A.M. this morning to locate and spray a hornet's nest. It's too big to fit in my pockets, so.... It often resides in my home office near my computer.... It's a nice light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd buy one. But I'm satisfied with the performance of my Old School M6 and Leef-bodied M4.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy one too, especially if I were still doing security patrols (I would have to find a clear beam shaper for it though, just to make it a bit floodier for close up work)

As it is I currently have too many flashlights, and no real need for them, other than collecting and enjoying the fun of shining lights around

Raze

Enlightened
Initially I got mine because of the looks. It's darn futuristic looking and it's a SureFire. I love the mode selection, the power indicator, the TIR, and the dual-stage MaxBlast Tailcap feature. Heck, I even like the cool name!

Now, when I got around to actually use it, I love the light for its function. I love how I can use it during night hikes, spelunking, and trekking on hillsides. I giggled like an idiot whenever the night got foggy, so that I can whip out the light from my EDC pack to play lightsaber.

This portable spotlight is a beast! Once I had helped a SAR night operation using the Invictus. Works excellent to locate lost hikers that had veered off-course and lost the trail on a hillside.

I too run it with 2x AW protected 17500 cells, but keep SF primaries always at the ready. I'm a happy camper..

yowzer

Enlightened
I picked up a M3LT this summer because I wanted a new, fairly compact thrower with a TIR style beam to use at Burning Man. I thought hard about spending an extra hundred bucks for a UB3T, but ultimately decided against it for a couple of reasons -- I don't like the placement of the SOS and stobe modes (Or their existence, really), and don't need a lot of output modes for what I use the light for, and I liked the color better. My other big thrower is a Catapult V3, and the Surefire is better in most respects -- lighter, smaller, better UI, nice big fat hotspot. Catapult wins on runtime and when I want to light up the whole area.

I use it mostly for SAR purposes, but most recently for finding a chicken that didn't return to the coop at night like normal. :sigh:

Speaking of the UB3T, I understand they changed the optic design from a straightforward fresnel to something with a hole in the center of the lens. Anybody happen to have before/after beamshots? Worry about it being floodier now is another reason I passed on it in favor of the M3LT.

Stainz

Enlightened
Well, good to hear from so many other proud owners. It really is a well designed and well made flashlight. The MaxBlast function is handy. Oddly, mine, s/n B028XY with the large Fresnel lens, appears to project the same size spot at 15 ft yet is brighter than my September purchase - an Olight M22 Warrior rated at 960L on two 123's (The UB3T is rated at 800L). The Fury seems similarly brighter than my M21 Warrior, too - both being rated at 500L. Odd how SF Lumens seem brighter... I am glad I bought my Invictus! Now to try some 17500's - I believe my Nitecore i2 Intellicharger will charge them.

Speaking of protected 17500's - who has them for sale? They seem somewhat scarce. I found one source for Ultrafire 17500 3.7V 1300 mAH @$7.49/ea - is there a 'better' battery? Do I need a better charger? Maybe I should just use CR123's?? Thanks!

Stainz

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
Well, good to hear from so many other proud owners. It really is a well designed and well made flashlight. The MaxBlast function is handy. Oddly, mine, s/n B028XY with the large Fresnel lens, appears to project the same size spot at 15 ft yet is brighter than my September purchase - an Olight M22 Warrior rated at 960L on two 123's (The UB3T is rated at 800L). The Fury seems similarly brighter than my M21 Warrior, too - both being rated at 500L. Odd how SF Lumens seem brighter... I am glad I bought my Invictus! Now to try some 17500's - I believe my Nitecore i2 Intellicharger will charge them.

Speaking of protected 17500's - who has them for sale? They seem somewhat scarce. I found one source for Ultrafire 17500 3.7V 1300 mAH @$7.49/ea - is there a 'better' battery? Do I need a better charger? Maybe I should just use CR123's?? Thanks!

Stainz

You should check out AW 17500's on Overready or lighthound sites. About $10 each. The nitecore charger should charge them.