Best Spotlights for a 4wd

sammut

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm after a new set of spotlights for my 4wd. Ive done a search but i thought id do a new one as a few new spotlights have come on the market since then.

Basically its for long drives at night so i'd more so be going for a spread beam/combo so i can see roos on the side of the road but also long distance is good too. The ones i've come up with so far as being the better ones on the market are the Lightforce 55w XGT, Hella Predators or KC Highlights 70w Carbon. There is also the ARB Instensity LED spotlights out now too.

Just seeing what you guys thought between them as you have a better idea than i do. :)

Thanks,

Michael

NFT5

Newly Enlightened
The lights you choose should be based on your needs and, of course, budget. You don't say where you are so a bit hard to know what sort of country you're in.

In your list you've included some very different lights in a range of qualities.
LF XGT - awesome lights if you want very long range in flat country. Little width though so not suited to winding, hilly country. The clip-on spread covers are useless.
Hella Predators - List price $2989....each! Street price around $1700. Arguably the best driving light you can buy but can you afford them?
KC - forget them
ARB Intensity - LED, so very different. Good broad flood but limited range.

I've had a whole range of lights over the years, mostly on 4wds, various Hella, various Lightforce, Cibie, even IPF and some others I won't name. I'm currently running Fyrlyts and love them. In my opinion, the best all round driving light you can buy at the moment. Nice wide beam so you can see Skippy on the verges, very even light and good range out to around 800m in ideal conditions, nearer 600m otherwise. Some clever design features, designed and made here in Oz and priced at around $500/pair if you shop around a bit. There's a thread here on them for a bit more information.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
I run rigid industry D2 Hybrids on my adventure motorcycle and love them. Saved my tail several times in deer country in Texas.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

sammut

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick responses.

I am in Western Australia so i do a lot of long distance driving (2 - 10 hours) on a mixture of roads. A lot of straight roads but a lot of the time u do get some windy roads.

The main problem is the kangaroos that hide on the side of the road then pop out at the last min, so a spread beam would be a bit more practical but when you have 200kms of dead straight road its also good to have the distance.

Price isnt too much of a concern, so if i'm spending $1500/$2000 on a set of lights, whats another $1000 on top for something better. The amount of driving i do its a worthwhile investment.

Out of interest, why is it the KC lights i should forget them?

Also do you have any another reccomendations that i might be missing? In Australia everyone just goes with the lightforce so its hard to compare to anything.

ven

Flashaholic
Was going to suggest lightforce but you know about them,have seen them for around $500 ish depending........
Presume they will be protected because hitting a roo and breaking a 3k set of spots would make me:mecry:

Led wise check out lazer lamps t16 for example or the st range,could buy 2.These are superb led bars with spread and distance,lots of versions to cater for different needs,also could roof mount out of the way or on bumper etc etc Just a thought:thumbsup:

sammut

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Ven,

Yea i was considering getting a led bar later on down the track, but i was going to wait for some of the newer designs to come out like the Radius bars so it might give better spread. the ones i have seen in real life do like up quite well, but it hasnt blown me away. They may have been cheaper ones...not sure though

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome from another West Aussie.
I am still looking at driving lights too, have pretty much decided on Hella Rallye 4000 incandescent lights, just trying to get a good price now
which bits of WA are you travelling in ? I spend a bit of time down in Kirup, Nannup, Busselton, Donnelly, Jarrahdale kind of areas, and on a few gravel back roads in those areas.

sammut

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys.

For me its heading north so lots to Jurien Bay and Exmouth. On the way to Geraldton its windy roads but once u pass Northampton its one big straight road to Carnarvon.

sammut

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone else seen or know about the KC Hilights 70w HID? I saw a pair today for a good price??

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a pair today for a good price??
I dunno, did you?

Really, forget about KC's products. They made some good stuff for rock crawling, but really nothing suitable for on-road use.

JW Speaker makes some auxiliary high beam lamps in an LED version-- the TS3000V and TS3000R (oVal or Round format), and have DOT and ECE versions. Probably a bit pricy, though.

Sadly, it seems they're jumping on the colored lens cover bandwagon, offering blue and amber covers for them.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Agreed with Alaric. All KC's lights are just another rebrand of the generic low-quality junk that comes from "low cost countries". And yes, this is one of the problems with feckless BS like the colored-lens marketing ploy: once one vendor does it (after having shouted and bought themselves into an undeserved position of widespread recognition), everyone has to do it. :-(