• Nitecore EA4W

8 20.51%
  • Sunwayman D40A

20 51.28%
  • Eagletac GX25A3

11 28.21%

Thread: D40A vs GX25A3 vs EA4

Default D40A vs GX25A3 vs EA4

So I've decided I'm about due for a high output 3 or 4 AA compact sized sub $100 flashlight.
    I've done my research, and limited the field down to 3:

• Nitecore EA4W
    • Sunwayman D40A
    • Eagletac GX25A3

I'm curious which ONE of those three would be your preference, and your reasons for choosing it.
    I've built up my own opinions based on the research I've done, but I'm curious to hear other opinions, as there may be factors I haven't considered. So vote, and give me your reasons for that vote!
    Cheers guys; your opinions, as ever, are valued!
    In date order, as far as I can remember: Mag 4D LED, LL P14, Fenix LD20 R4, 47s Preon 2 R5 red, 47s Quark Mini AA S2, Fenix TK35 XM-L T6, 4Sevens ReVO SS S2, Maha MH-C808M, Maha MH-C9000, 47s Single Bay Li-ion charger, Zebralight SC600 XM-L U2, Fenix TK70, iCharger 206B, Sunwayman D40A...

Default Re: D40A vs GX25A3 vs EA4

What about the
    Jetbeam SRA40 (4AA, XM-L2) I think it looks the best of the 4 AA lights.

Granted, I do not own the EA4 or the GX25A3, but I went with the Sunwayman because I like the interface and the moonlight mode.

Sunwayman D40A has the best UI & Moonlight mode & it's the Brightest between them !
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Craig K View Post
    What about the
    Jetbeam SRA40 (4AA, XM-L2) I think it looks the best of the 4 AA lights.
    Hmm, well I admit I'd never heard of the SRA40 before you mentioned it.
    I looked it up, it is in the same class as the others, but it doesn't really yell "come and buy me" at me...
    For looks, I'm leaning towards liking the "unibody" of the EA4.
    The price of the EA4 is the best too. And I'm liking the sound of that 2-stage, camera-style button.
    I'm leaning away from the GX25A3, because using 3 eneloops would bug me, somehow, and the price is at the upper end of the scale.
    The price of the SRA40 is also at the upper end, although it's not available at a lot of places yet, so maybe the price will come down when it's more widely available.
    Nitecore EA4 Sunwayman D40A Eagletac GX25A3 Jetbeam SRA40
    Approx Street price $ 66.00 $ 76.00 $ 95.00 $ 99.00
    Weight w/o Batts 159 165.4 148 ?
    Length mm 117 120.6 109 125
    Head diameter mm 40 40 38.5 49
    Body diameter mm 41.8 42 35.5 41
    Outputs 5 4 3 3
    Ansi Lm low 65 30 9 20
    Ansi Lm Highest 860 980 915 960
    Moon mode No Yes No No
    Ansi range (throw) m 283 315 284 390
    Ansi intensity cd 20000 24800 20100 38000
    Type III Hard Ano. Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Aircraft Grade Alu. Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Hardened Glass lens Yes Yes Yes Yes
    IPX8 Yes Yes Yes Yes
    # AA cells 4 4 3 4
    Buttons 1, 2-stage electronic 2, electronic 1, electronic 2, electronic
    Switch location Side Side Side, or optional rear Side
    Emitter type XM-L XM-L2 XM-L2 XM-L2
    Emitter bin U2 ? U2 ?
    Strobe modes 3 4 7 ?
    Low Voltage indication Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Tailstandable Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Current controlled output Yes Yes Yes ?
    Needs battery magazine? No Yes No No
    Other feature/s Unibody construction Stainless bezel Standard + button cap incl. Built-in Charge function
    Holster included? Yes Yes Yes ?
    Lanyard included? Yes Yes Yes ?
    Last edited by samgab; 11-03-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    In date order, as far as I can remember: Mag 4D LED, LL P14, Fenix LD20 R4, 47s Preon 2 R5 red, 47s Quark Mini AA S2, Fenix TK35 XM-L T6, 4Sevens ReVO SS S2, Maha MH-C808M, Maha MH-C9000, 47s Single Bay Li-ion charger, Zebralight SC600 XM-L U2, Fenix TK70, iCharger 206B, Sunwayman D40A...

Quote Originally Posted by oRAirwolf View Post
    Granted, I do not own the EA4 or the GX25A3, but I went with the Sunwayman because I like the interface and the moonlight mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.444 View Post
    Sunwayman D40A has the best UI & Moonlight mode & it's the Brightest between them !
    Yes, I do like the moon mode of the D40A, that's an influence towards that, plus the excellent throw and intensity.
    On the other hand, I like the (admittedly only slightly) lower price of the EA4W, plus I like the warm tint, and the unibody construction, and the 2-stage switch, and the blue-lit switch functions as a kind of moon mode.
    I think I've ruled the GX25A3 and SRA40 out, mostly due to price.

Quote Originally Posted by samgab View Post
    Yes, I do like the moon mode of the D40A, that's an influence towards that, plus the excellent throw and intensity.
    On the other hand, I like the (admittedly only slightly) lower price of the EA4W, plus I like the warm tint, and the unibody construction, and the 2-stage switch, and the blue-lit switch functions as a kind of moon mode.
    I think I've ruled the GX25A3 and SRA40 out, mostly due to price.
    The D40A is now available in a neutral tint.

I do not have the GX25A3, but own both of the others. I like the D40A a little bit more even though it is a little more expensive. The Sunwayman seems to have a little better build quality than the Nitecore, in my opinion! I like the UI on both. However, I also own a Sunwayman M40A, and I like it even better than the other two! It does not get much mention on this forum for some reason. It is "only" 600 lumens, but it does not drop in output like the others. It also uses a rotary magnetic switch to change modes which I really like. Just thought I would throw that in to give you one more to look at!

Nitecore EA4 Sunwayman D40A Eagletac GX25A3 Jetbeam SRA40
    Approx Street price $ 66.00 $ 76.00 $ 95.00 $ 99.00
    Weight w/o Batts 159 165.4 148 172
    Length mm 117 120.6 109 125
    Head diameter mm 40 40 38.5 49
    Body diameter mm 41.8 42 35.5 41
    Outputs 5 4 3 3
    Ansi Lm low 65 30 9 20
    Ansi Lm Highest 860 980 915 960
    Moon mode No Yes No No
    Ansi range (throw) m 283 315 284 390
    Ansi intensity cd 20000 24800 20100 38000
    Type III Hard Ano. Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Aircraft Grade Alu. Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Hardened Glass lens Yes Yes Yes Yes
    IPX8 Yes Yes Yes Yes
    # AA cells 4 4 3 4
    Buttons 1, 2-stage electronic 2, electronic 1, electronic 2, electronic
    Switch location Side Side Side, or optional rear Side
    Emitter type XM-L XM-L2 XM-L2 XM-L2
    Emitter bin U2 T6 U2 T6
    Strobe modes 3 4 7 1
    Low Voltage indication Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Tailstandable Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Current controlled output Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Needs battery magazine? No Yes No No
    Other feature/s Unibody construction Stainless bezel Standard + button cap incl. Built-in Charge function
    Holster included? Yes Yes Yes No
    Lanyard included? Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Just for the funfact i completed your missing info with Blue color

Quote Originally Posted by sassaquin View Post
    The D40A is now available in a neutral tint.
    I'm pretty much set on the D40A now. I've added to my pros for it: The ease of (mechanical) lockout, the fact that lockout isn't really even necessary as the vampire drain is so low on normal standby, the much brighter output compared to the EA4 as measured by Selfbuilt, the UI, moonlight mode, and the quality of the build.
    *Edit: further to add to this list: the negative issues that the EA4 seems to be having with melting buttons - buttongate. Plus square threads on the D40A as opposed to triangular threads on the EA4.

Quote Originally Posted by kst View Post
    Yes, I've looked into those. It does look pretty awesome, but I'm not in the States, so I'd be concerned about warranty, and feel that the extra cost isn't quite worth it over the standard unmodified version. I see he has quite a following, but I haven't read enough about him to quite get why... Maybe I should look into it further.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz View Post
    I do not have the GX25A3, but own both of the others. I like the D40A a little bit more even though it is a little more expensive. The Sunwayman seems to have a little better build quality than the Nitecore, in my opinion! I like the UI on both. However, I also own a Sunwayman M40A, and I like it even better than the other two! It does not get much mention on this forum for some reason. It is "only" 600 lumens, but it does not drop in output like the others. It also uses a rotary magnetic switch to change modes which I really like. Just thought I would throw that in to give you one more to look at!
    Had a quick look at the M40A, and it looks good, but not quite the form factor I'm looking for ATM...

Just for the funfact i completed your missing info with Blue color
    Cheers, thanks for that!
    Last edited by samgab; 11-04-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Already a thread about this, in the 'recommend me'-section.
    "Got a light?" -Well yes, I have

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Already a thread about this, in the 'recommend me'-section.
    Specifically about just these three lights only, with a poll? If so, please link and maybe they could be merged. If it's not about just these specific three only, then please admins keep this separate, as this is a very particular comparison I'm looking at. I'm not asking anyone to recommend me one of these flashlights, I'm asking for differing opinions on who likes one better than the others, and their personal reasons why. Cheers.

Edit: went searching and found it. It's pretty close, probably could be merged, as long as the poll survives...
    Last edited by samgab; 11-04-2013 at 01:17 AM.

*Flashaholic*

Here's another vote for the D40Avn. I have an EA4W, and don't care at all for the button. It's too sensitive for my ham hands, and the voltage meter function doesn't.

The D40Avn is very much brighter, the throw is much better and it has an equally pleasing tint. The UI is 100% better. The mechanical lockout is nice.

When my D40Avn came in, I put diffusion film on the EA4W and turned it into a dedicated flooder.

I own only the EA4W and for me the UI is ideal. I use it exclusively outdoors, and cycling through a moonlight mode would be an impediment. Granted, it does take work to become proficient with the UI, but if you do, it allows access to all modes with a single finger. Since my other hand is occupied while walking - this is essential. The LED battery indicator allows monitoring charge levels without battery removal and has been remarkably accurate.

I looked at the D40, but the small, closely placed buttons seemed problematic with gloves, and the lanyard attachment is awkward at best.

Of course, Nitecore's poor CS on the button durability must be considered. So far I've had no problems but some have...
    Last edited by SCEMan; 11-04-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: content

Well, I gave serious thought to the D40Avn but in the end, when I found a place selling the standard D40A for $65.50 (after coupon code), I thought I can't go wrong at that price, with free shipping. As I'm in NZ, when you add shipping, the D40Avn would have been (edit:nearly) twice the price, and although no doubt really good; for me, I don't reckon it's twice as good. But I'm looking forward to the standard D40A arriving.
    Last edited by samgab; 11-04-2013 at 09:22 AM.

IDK but I need to know the next time samgab is deciding between a few choices in a category like this again (I really like that chart)!

D40A NW. Awesome light. :-)

Nitecore EA4, Sunwayman D40A, Eagletac GX25A3, Jetbeam SRA40
    Imo no one has it perfect yet. EA4 has button issues and no low level for extended battery life. D40A cycles from TURBO to LOW which is a downer. GX25A3 has mode spacing issues like the EA4 and it is expensive. SRA40 is expensive because of the useless charger and it has not enough modes.

Quote Originally Posted by 18650 View Post
    ...D40A cycles from TURBO to LOW which is a downer...
    I agree this is stupid. What were they THINKING? Doesn't it make much more sense for the cycling order to go low/medium/high/turbo? Seems to make much more sense to me; and that's the way my TK70, and TK35 both do it, and it just seems logical, plus it's better on the eyes if you leave it in low between uses, you can turn it on in low and then gently cycle up to the required output. Rather than low then BAM! TURBO! </rant>

Default D40A vs GX25A3 vs EA4

I'm open to different UIs and usually end up appreciating most of them. I'll spend most of my time on ML and L on this light and like the ability to always start on ML, then step up to L. Then if I need to see something a distance, I might as well just see it at max and be done with it.... or step it down to high or medium if I need to see for a longer period of time and want to conserve battery. I find the wrist lanyard works great too.... the lobster claw helps you instantly locate the clickies by feel, and if you run the cord along the back of your hand and in between your index and middle finger, there's plenty of slack for large hands. My biggest complaint is the too easily activated clickies.

One of my favorite lights.

My new D40A arrived today, and I have to say: Initial impressions - I'm very impressed. Seems to be very good build quality, including the solid battery holder. Excellent finish on the ano. Tint is pretty good. Cool white with no obvious colour tinges (I went for the cool white rather than the neutral). High is very bright, with the hotspot somewhere between the TK35 and the SC600, as one would expect given the size and depth of the reflector. It's added extra versatility to my light collection, now having a near-1K-lm light that runs on AA cells. I quite like the UI, does everything I'd need, and pretty simple to use. No complaints at all, really. Although too big to be an EDC light, its relative size, brightness range, and runtimes make it a very practical and useful light. Time will tell if it performs over the long term as well as the first impressions indicate...

My new D40A arrived today, and I have to say: Initial impressions - I'm very impressed. Seems to be very good build quality, including the solid battery holder. Excellent finish on the ano. Tint is pretty good. Cool white with no obvious colour tinges (I went for the cool white rather than the neutral). High is very bright, with the hotspot somewhere between the TK35 and the SC600, as one would expect given the size and depth of the reflector. It's added extra versatility to my light collection, now having a near-1K-lm light that runs on AA cells. I quite like the UI, does everything I'd need, and pretty simple to use. No complaints at all, really. Although too big to be an EDC light, its relative size, brightness range, and runtimes make it a very practical and useful light. Time will tell if it performs over the long term as well as the first impressions indicate...
    Gratttzz ,, but check your light head spring !

did you got the new bigger spring or the old one ? & from where you bought it ?

Gratttzz ,, but check your light head spring !

did you got the new bigger spring or the old one ? & from where you bought it ?
    Not sure, I saw a photo on CPF somewhere of both side by side, but I can't remember which thread it was on.
    (edit: found it http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4257683 and mine is the newer, bigger one. Cool.)

and I got it from one of the many Chinese sellers, "buyincoins". For about $65.

Last edited by samgab; 11-16-2013 at 07:22 PM.

There's a lot about the D40A that attracts me. Especially moonlight. But in the end I bought the GX25A3 because I like not having to scroll through modes at all. I can select the output level I want before I turn it on. I hold the head and turn the body, btw, so the switch stays in the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
    There's a lot about the D40A that attracts me. Especially moonlight. But in the end I bought the GX25A3 because I like not having to scroll through modes at all. I can select the output level I want before I turn it on. I hold the head and turn the body, btw, so the switch stays in the same position.
    well turning the head it just like rolling up a scroll. now THATS scrolling

ok i'm just kidding. seriously, the D40A has shortcuts from OFF:

1) press-and-hold power for moonlight

2) double click power for MAX

3) double click mode for strobe

Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    I own only the EA4W and for me the UI is ideal.
    Ditto to the UI. It's my second favorite UI next to Zebralight. Love the momentary on and camera shutter switch.
    Some don't like that the low isn't low enough, but it's a pocket searchlight! (You wouldn't use a backhoe to plant daisies.)
    The fact that it's the cheapest is a draw too. It's $55 on amazon.com at the moment.

Quality has been an issue, so you'll want one of the later builds (with revised switch cover).

Enlightened

Actually the swm d40a is a tie for the cheapest! Just picked one up for $55 after discount. I personally own all three and i find the eagletac to fit best in hand. The swm is nice too and seems like a quality product but it sure would be nice if they learned how to lube the threads. Dry as dry can be and made me cringe the first time i had to open the light.