Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Sunwayman D40A

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Eagletac GX25A3

Votes: 16 28.6%

• Total voters

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've decided I'm about due for a high output 3 or 4 AA compact sized sub $100 flashlight.
I've done my research, and limited the field down to 3:

• Nitecore EA4W
  • Sunwayman D40A
  • Eagletac GX25A3

I'm curious which ONE of those three would be your preference, and your reasons for choosing it.
I've built up my own opinions based on the research I've done, but I'm curious to hear other opinions, as there may be factors I haven't considered. So vote, and give me your reasons for that vote!
Cheers guys; your opinions, as ever, are valued!

Craig K

Enlightened
What about the
[h=2]Jetbeam SRA40 (4AA, XM-L2) I think it looks the best of the 4 AA lights.[/h]

oRAirwolf

Newly Enlightened
Granted, I do not own the EA4 or the GX25A3, but I went with the Sunwayman because I like the interface and the moonlight mode.

Dr.444

Enlightened
Sunwayman D40A has the best UI & Moonlight mode & it's the Brightest between them !

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the
Jetbeam SRA40 (4AA, XM-L2) I think it looks the best of the 4 AA lights.

Hmm, well I admit I'd never heard of the SRA40 before you mentioned it.
I looked it up, it is in the same class as the others, but it doesn't really yell "come and buy me" at me...
For looks, I'm leaning towards liking the "unibody" of the EA4.
The price of the EA4 is the best too. And I'm liking the sound of that 2-stage, camera-style button.
I'm leaning away from the GX25A3, because using 3 eneloops would bug me, somehow, and the price is at the upper end of the scale.
The price of the SRA40 is also at the upper end, although it's not available at a lot of places yet, so maybe the price will come down when it's more widely available.
Nitecore EA4Sunwayman D40AEagletac GX25A3Jetbeam SRA40
Approx Street price $ 66.00 $ 76.00 $ 95.00 $ 99.00
Weight w/o Batts159165.4148?
Length mm117120.6109125
Head diameter mm404038.549
Body diameter mm41.84235.541
Outputs5433
Ansi Lm low6530920
Ansi Lm Highest860980915960
Moon modeNoYesNoNo
Ansi range (throw) m283315284390
Ansi intensity cd20000248002010038000
Type III Hard Ano.YesYesYesYes
Aircraft Grade Alu.YesYesYesYes
Hardened Glass lensYesYesYesYes
IPX8YesYesYesYes
# AA cells4434
Buttons1, 2-stage electronic2, electronic1, electronic2, electronic
Switch locationSideSideSide, or optional rearSide
Emitter typeXM-LXM-L2XM-L2XM-L2
Emitter binU2?U2?
Strobe modes347?
Low Voltage indicationYesYesYesYes
TailstandableYesYesYesYes
Current controlled outputYesYesYes?
Needs battery magazine?NoYesNoNo
Other feature/sUnibody constructionStainless bezelStandard + button cap incl.Built-in Charge function
Holster included?YesYesYes?
Lanyard included?YesYesYes?

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Granted, I do not own the EA4 or the GX25A3, but I went with the Sunwayman because I like the interface and the moonlight mode.

Sunwayman D40A has the best UI & Moonlight mode & it's the Brightest between them !

Yes, I do like the moon mode of the D40A, that's an influence towards that, plus the excellent throw and intensity.
On the other hand, I like the (admittedly only slightly) lower price of the EA4W, plus I like the warm tint, and the unibody construction, and the 2-stage switch, and the blue-lit switch functions as a kind of moon mode.
I think I've ruled the GX25A3 and SRA40 out, mostly due to price.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Yes, I do like the moon mode of the D40A, that's an influence towards that, plus the excellent throw and intensity.
On the other hand, I like the (admittedly only slightly) lower price of the EA4W, plus I like the warm tint, and the unibody construction, and the 2-stage switch, and the blue-lit switch functions as a kind of moon mode.
I think I've ruled the GX25A3 and SRA40 out, mostly due to price.

The D40A is now available in a neutral tint.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have the GX25A3, but own both of the others. I like the D40A a little bit more even though it is a little more expensive. The Sunwayman seems to have a little better build quality than the Nitecore, in my opinion! I like the UI on both. However, I also own a Sunwayman M40A, and I like it even better than the other two! It does not get much mention on this forum for some reason. It is "only" 600 lumens, but it does not drop in output like the others. It also uses a rotary magnetic switch to change modes which I really like. Just thought I would throw that in to give you one more to look at! :devil:

Dr.444

Enlightened
Nitecore EA4Sunwayman D40AEagletac GX25A3Jetbeam SRA40
Approx Street price $ 66.00 $ 76.00 $ 95.00 $ 99.00
Weight w/o Batts159165.4148172
Length mm117120.6109125
Head diameter mm404038.549
Body diameter mm41.84235.541
Outputs5433
Ansi Lm low6530920
Ansi Lm Highest860980915960
Moon modeNoYesNoNo
Ansi range (throw) m283315284390
Ansi intensity cd20000248002010038000
Type III Hard Ano.YesYesYesYes
Aircraft Grade Alu.YesYesYesYes
Hardened Glass lensYesYesYesYes
IPX8YesYesYesYes
# AA cells4434
Buttons1, 2-stage electronic2, electronic1, electronic2, electronic
Switch locationSideSideSide, or optional rearSide
Emitter typeXM-LXM-L2XM-L2XM-L2
Emitter binU2T6
U2
T6
Strobe modes34
Low Voltage indicationYesYes
Yes
Yes
TailstandableYesYesYesYes
Current controlled outputYes
YesYes
Yes
Needs battery magazine?NoYes
NoNo
Other feature/sUnibody constructionStainless bezelStandard + button cap incl.Built-in Charge function
Holster included?YesYesYesNo
Lanyard included?YesYes
YesYes

Just for the funfact i completed your missing info with Blue color :D

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D40A is now available in a neutral tint.
I'm pretty much set on the D40A now. I've added to my pros for it: The ease of (mechanical) lockout, the fact that lockout isn't really even necessary as the vampire drain is so low on normal standby, the much brighter output compared to the EA4 as measured by Selfbuilt, the UI, moonlight mode, and the quality of the build.
*Edit: further to add to this list: the negative issues that the EA4 seems to be having with melting buttons - buttongate. Plus square threads on the D40A as opposed to triangular threads on the EA4.

Yes, I've looked into those. It does look pretty awesome, but I'm not in the States, so I'd be concerned about warranty, and feel that the extra cost isn't quite worth it over the standard unmodified version. I see he has quite a following, but I haven't read enough about him to quite get why... Maybe I should look into it further.

I do not have the GX25A3, but own both of the others. I like the D40A a little bit more even though it is a little more expensive. The Sunwayman seems to have a little better build quality than the Nitecore, in my opinion! I like the UI on both. However, I also own a Sunwayman M40A, and I like it even better than the other two! It does not get much mention on this forum for some reason. It is "only" 600 lumens, but it does not drop in output like the others. It also uses a rotary magnetic switch to change modes which I really like. Just thought I would throw that in to give you one more to look at! :devil:

Had a quick look at the M40A, and it looks good, but not quite the form factor I'm looking for ATM...

Just for the funfact i completed your missing info with Blue color :D

Cheers, thanks for that! :)

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Already a thread about this, in the 'recommend me'-section.

Specifically about just these three lights only, with a poll? If so, please link and maybe they could be merged. If it's not about just these specific three only, then please admins keep this separate, as this is a very particular comparison I'm looking at. I'm not asking anyone to recommend me one of these flashlights, I'm asking for differing opinions on who likes one better than the others, and their personal reasons why. Cheers.

Edit: went searching and found it. It's pretty close, probably could be merged, as long as the poll survives...

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
Here's another vote for the D40Avn. I have an EA4W, and don't care at all for the button. It's too sensitive for my ham hands, and the voltage meter function doesn't.

The D40Avn is very much brighter, the throw is much better and it has an equally pleasing tint. The UI is 100% better. The mechanical lockout is nice.

When my D40Avn came in, I put diffusion film on the EA4W and turned it into a dedicated flooder.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own only the EA4W and for me the UI is ideal. I use it exclusively outdoors, and cycling through a moonlight mode would be an impediment. Granted, it does take work to become proficient with the UI, but if you do, it allows access to all modes with a single finger. Since my other hand is occupied while walking - this is essential. The LED battery indicator allows monitoring charge levels without battery removal and has been remarkably accurate.

I looked at the D40, but the small, closely placed buttons seemed problematic with gloves, and the lanyard attachment is awkward at best.

Of course, Nitecore's poor CS on the button durability must be considered. So far I've had no problems but some have...

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I gave serious thought to the D40Avn but in the end, when I found a place selling the standard D40A for $65.50 (after coupon code), I thought I can't go wrong at that price, with free shipping. As I'm in NZ, when you add shipping, the D40Avn would have been (edit:nearly) twice the price, and although no doubt really good; for me, I don't reckon it's twice as good. But I'm looking forward to the standard D40A arriving.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
IDK but I need to know the next time samgab is deciding between a few choices in a category like this again (I really like that chart)!

Enlightened
Nitecore EA4, Sunwayman D40A, Eagletac GX25A3, Jetbeam SRA40
Imo no one has it perfect yet. EA4 has button issues and no low level for extended battery life. D40A cycles from TURBO to LOW which is a downer. GX25A3 has mode spacing issues like the EA4 and it is expensive. SRA40 is expensive because of the useless charger and it has not enough modes.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
...D40A cycles from TURBO to LOW which is a downer...

I agree this is stupid. What were they THINKING? Doesn't it make much more sense for the cycling order to go low/medium/high/turbo? Seems to make much more sense to me; and that's the way my TK70, and TK35 both do it, and it just seems logical, plus it's better on the eyes if you leave it in low between uses, you can turn it on in low and then gently cycle up to the required output. Rather than low then BAM! TURBO! </rant> ;)